How do you adjust the idle?

tinnocker

Reaction score
" 2. Repositioned the throttle flange " Could you explain a little about this process, is this the flange that is holding the throttle cable? Michael Soldan, I wish it was as simple as adjusting a carbureted engines. If you google "adjusting base idle on a 5.0/302 engine you will find out the many ways.......some work for some, while others can't get any of them to work. It seems to be a hit or miss. I am still struggling with my 94 GT. I have tried to adjust mine using different suggestions on this forum as well as the Corral and other forums. I have it at 900 rpm now but would like to get it down to 750-800 rpm. It still takes 5-6 seconds to drop to 900 at a red light. It will drop to 1400-1500 then very slowly drop to the 900 rpm.

joemomma

Reaction score
" 2. Repositioned the throttle flange " Could you explain a little about this process, is this the flange that is holding the throttle cable? Michael Soldan, I wish it was as simple as adjusting a carbureted engines. If you google "adjusting base idle on a 5.0/302 engine you will find out the many ways.......some work for some, while others can't get any of them to work. It seems to be a hit or miss. I am still struggling with my 94 GT. I have tried to adjust mine using different suggestions on this forum as well as the Corral and other forums. I have it at 900 rpm now but would like to get it down to 750-800 rpm. It still takes 5-6 seconds to drop to 900 at a red light. It will drop to 1400-1500 then very slowly drop to the 900 rpm.
I feel you. Mine is right at 1000, I'd like it in the 750 range but it will die with the air on when coming to a stop at that RPM. 1000 seems to be the only way I can keep it running with the air on and the idle that low.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
It also is in your timing the more advanced
The idle pickes up

Check your throttle body , the shaft on the butterfly
On the linkage end make sure its not bent forward against the adjustable screw . I have run into a problem where
That flat part was bent forward
I ended up bending it back to back it off

Sometimes these things are not perfect and it dose not help
When they get tossed around
I'm sure mine was messed up before shipping or during shipping
But i did correct mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online