how often?

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Should I re-oil my K&N Air Filter? I am not sure if this matters but leading to my stable, or carport, is dirt. I only say because my motor
stays with a layer of dust on it. I try to clean it clean, but you know. I am hearing different times from what local friends and
mechanics tell me. Thanks!!

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
I thought it was every so many miles. That answer just brought up more questions. Sorry!

Oh like every other oil change, also! I really have no idea!!

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought since it was oiled up, maybe just air would not help much. Thanks for clearing me up on that!!

gt96stang

Reaction score
It's something about overoiling the filter then it gets on the maf and screws it up..

Pennywise2

Reaction score
I used the K&N recharger kit once every year or every 10K miles.
Just clean it good and oil it lightly that's all.
If you let it dry over night before you install it then
it will not affect your MAF.

97blackgt

Reaction score
personally i would only use a light mist of oil. It makes a mess and if u have a good filter than u shouldnt need any oil at all.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
97blackgt said:
personally i would only use a light mist of oil. It makes a mess and if u have a good filter than u shouldnt need any oil at all.
Actually the oil helps to trap the dirt.
If you don't lightly oil your K&N air filter you will be running
a risk of dirt or something going up your intake tube and
going right into your engine.

97blackgt

Reaction score
OEM paper filters are not oiled...k&ns are made from better materials so they should be able to trap smaller particles..its pretty much preferance i guess

Pennywise2

Reaction score
97blackgt said:
OEM paper filters are not oiled...k&ns are made from better materials so they should be able to trap smaller particles..its pretty much preferance i guess
K&N air filters are made of cotton fabric and has wire mesh around it that straightens airflow
reducing turbulence.They will retain significantly more dirt per square inch than a paper air filter.
Paper air filters are restrictive and don't filter dirt,dust,and particals well at all.
The reasons people buy K&N air filters for their vehicles is because they want
more usable power,better gas mileage,less emissions,and a filter to help their
vehicle breathe easier.
If you want to read the facts about K&N air filters go here ------> www.knfilters.com

97blackgt

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
97blackgt said:
K&N air filters are made of cotton fabric and has wire mesh around it that straightens airflow
reducing turbulence.They will retain significantly more dirt per square inch than a paper air filter.
Paper air filters are restrictive and don't filter dirt,dust,and particals well at all.
vehicle breathe easier.
If you want to read the facts about K&N air filters go here ------> www.knfilters.com
Whats all that have to do with the fact that adding oil is messy and isnt worth it?

Pennywise2

Reaction score
97blackgt said:
Pennywise2 said:
97blackgt said:
vehicle breathe easier.
Whats all that have to do with the fact that adding oil is messy and isnt worth it?
That is simply your opnion.
You can lightly oil your K&N air filter without making a mess.
Oiling your filter is worth it unless you enjoy dirt,dust and debris,being
sucked into your engine have fun.

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
97blackgt said:
Pennywise2 said:
97blackgt said:
vehicle breathe easier.
That is simply your opnion.
You can lightly oil your K&N air filter without making a mess.
Oiling your filter is worth it unless you enjoy dirt,dust and debris,being
sucked into your engine have fun.

i agree. oil the filter good, clean you MAF everytime you oil the filter. you got the filter off you might as well clean it while your there.

916_5.0

Reaction score
I had heard that it wasnt good to oil it cause it gets into you intake or something. But it seems everybody does it so i guess it cant do any harm.

Knuckles281

Reaction score
I do mine every 10K miles, or if it gets really dirty. If at 10K miles isn't not dirty at all, I might wait until 11 or so.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
mine only has 300 miles on it lol. It somehow gets rock chips in the wire mesh :dunno:

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
AaRoN said:
realitygt said:
mine only has 300 miles on it lol. It somehow gets rock chips in the wire mesh :dunno:

Do you take your Stang off-roadin'?

why else would i have a 4x4 suspension? :hammer:

no, thats just regular driving, to and from school

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.