How screwed am I?

delling3

Reaction score
The best laid plans of mice and men. Removing the intake manifold on the 4.6L today. The very last bolt, rear on left siide was corroded (steel fastener in aluminum head). It broke off , about 1/8" above the deck surface. I am now thinking that the head is going to have to come off and taken to a machine shop to have the broken bolt removed. Anyone got a better answer?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
4 options:

1.Try needle nose vise grips to get a grip. (Worth a shot)
2. Take a chisel and hammer and attempt to punch it in a circle. Like you were lossening the bolts.
3. Buy a broken bolt extractor.
4. Call a machine shop. Some may be able to swing out and do it onsite.

I spent many a time busting out broken bolts as a millwright

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I should clarify I got new heads after trying a couple of different back out bits but it was just a rusted mess. If you know someone that can weld see if they think they can weld a nut to the top.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Do you have a welder or a friend that can weld? Welding a nut to the broken bolt will be the best thing to do it’ll break it loose and give you something to turn.

Is it the straight through hole? If it is, you could grind it flat, center punch it and drill it out.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
if its sticking out, weld a nut onyo it or use vice grips.

if its flush, drill and easy outs.
if that doesnt work, drill the bolt out and either helicoil it, or re tap it and use the next size larger bolt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Maybe enough sticking out to weld a nut on, but access is difficult. Plus with the bolt seized in the threads (why it broke in the first place) will welding a nut on be strong enough to get the bolt out? I don't see a way to drill it out without pulling the head, just not enough clearance.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
i swear i broke that same bolt, but on the passenger bank, so most forward bolt, for me.

that one should be a through hole, not a blind one.
relatively speaking, that helps.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So here are a couple of pics of the offending bolt. I used a couple of quarters stacked to give some reference on how much bolt is protruding above the head surface.

IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0219.jpg

Since it is the very rear-most bolt holding the intake, there is no direct overhead clearance (as you would need to drill for an ez-out or helicoil). I might be able to cut a slot with a dremel to put a large screwdriver in. If, as Silverbird suggests, that is a thru hole, I might be able to drive it thru and out the bottom? I probably got a good 3-5 rotations of the bolt while trying to remove it (before is seized/broke). It might be able to drive thru the bottom?

Do any of you guys who weld think there is enough there to work with? I have a buddy who does some welding . . .

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 31

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that doesn't look bad at all. It looks like you could try to thread a nut down from the top. Maybe first try heating it up with a torch, then put a nut with some jb weld on it and see if you let it set up over night that with the heat hopefully breaking up what was seizing it you might be able to get it back out. If it fails there is really no loss other than the time.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Looks like a nut could be welded on it. I would give it a shot. Probably get 2 maybe 3 threads on it. Just make sure it's not a crappy weld haha

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’ve welded nuts to bolts that were broken below the surface. This one will be easy to weld a nut on. The heat from the weld will help break the bolt free.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, things have not improved. My buddy came over with his tig welder, and welded a nut on the bolt. Unfortunately, the bolt sheared again, this time below the head surface.

I assume that this can be drilled and a heli-coil fitted. I have not ever attempted this myself. Can the hole be drilled accurately enough by hand, or is a drill press required for precision?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you still have the easy out bits to try. You drill a hole in the middle of the bolt as though you were going to drill it out and then the thread in backwards and hopefully gets enough of a grip to pull it out.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
and soak the crap out of the threads with pb blaster, it does work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.