How-To: Adding Mach 460 Door Tweeters

Zgadson

Reaction score
Hey guys! Bought my Mustang a week ago, and I love it, but it's got almost no options, so I'm adding everything I want to it. Yesterday I decided to install my Mach 460 door tweeters, and holy hell do they make a difference if you don?t have the Mach system. Got mine for $20 at a salvage yard (though I'll ultimately bought them for the speaker housings, as I have an Infiniti system to install later.)

As far as the install goes, I'd rate this as a 2 (1 being easy, 10 being hard).

Here we go:

(Preparing door to accept speaker pods)

1) Remove door panels and pry off the plastic triangle caps that cover where the tweeters would be.

REMEMBER THE ANGLE AT WHICH THE CLIPS LOCK INTO THE DOOR PANEL. SAVE THE CLIPS.

2) Remove lower 5x7 door speaker and put the window down

(Preparing speaker housing - requires modification)

3) Pry off speaker cover from corners

4) You will need to saw off the lower portion of the speaker housing (see pic). Its ok if the bottom edge is rough when finished, as the speaker grill hides it completely.

l_0a197f85637e4cafbd9b81cb82cc9381.jpg

Follow the curve of the speaker with the saw (follow the red line). You will not need the lower portion of the mounting brackets.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE SPEAKER WIRES WHEN SAWING!

l_3bf018fbec944058be8fc123aa39e933.jpg

5) There are also large plastic pins sticking out of the back of the speaker housing. Cut these off leaving about half of the pin left.

6) Remove the clips we saved earlier? Superglue them to the back of the speaker housing over the pin you just cut off. They should fit as if they belong there.

VERY IMPORTANT: Glue the clips horizontally, as they were when removing the triangle mirror caps. If glued vertically they will not allow the speaker to mount properly.

7) After the glue is dry and solid, clip the speaker to the door. It will hang loosely.

8) You?ll notice that the screw hole in the center of the speaker housing lines up perfectly with the hole in the metal behind it. This is where the nuts and bolts come into play. Fasten the speaker tightly. (There?s another larger hole under where the bolt goes through ? helps to hold the nut in place with your finger when finagling with the bolt.)

9) Splice your tweeter speaker wires into the door speaker wires, and remount the lower door speakers.

10) Reattach your door panels (requires some finesse with the new tweeter pods in place, but the only way to mount the pods is without the door panel in place.)

10) Lastly reattach the tweeter speaker grills and enjoy.

l_377559f505d04852887723a417bccb69.jpg

catch_15

Reaction score
For anybody doing this swap, it should be noted that if you don't install bass blockers inline with the speaker wires to the tweeters, they will eventually blow. The tweeters are not meant to play the mid-range frequencies that it will be receiving from the lower door speaker wires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online