How to change your Rear Quarter Panel Side Scoop 94-98 Mustangs

97RioCobra

Reaction score
Ok... so my car got backed into, right into the rear quarter panel side scoop and it got busted and cracked. Thought the process of just pulling it out would be as simple as just snapping it out, but was i ever wrong! So i figured i would try to do a write up about about to replace a broken or cracked one for all to know. Not as simple as you would think...but not hard either.

1. First you will need to remove the bottom section of the back seat, there are two release buttons about mid ways you will need to press in with a flat head screw driver.
  2. Next you will need to let down the back seats and remove the 3 bolts for the back head rest pad with a 8mm nut driver.
  3. Now, you will need to remove the rear quarter panel. there will be three plugs that will need to be removed on the rear quarter panel near the trunk, and two very small ones on the rubber of the door jam.
  4. Next you can either remove the top quarter panel window trim, or just pop it loose as i did to remove the rear quarter panel.
  5. Once the panel is removed you will see an opening, covered with weather shield plastic that is glued to the body. Don't demolish this, just cut it to where you can fold it to get your hand in.
  6. Inside, you will see three 9mm bolts that hole the side scoop on, and will need a 9mm nut driver, or 9mm wrench, which ever your prefer to remove these.
  7. The scoop is now ready to pop out, finally...
  8. Now just install your new scoop and reverse the process, and whalla.. all that work for three little bolts lol
Here are some pictures i took during the process:

Old cracked scoop
cda012f8.jpg

Back seat removed
64a30af8.jpg

Quarter panel removed exposing opening
a2c6660a.jpg

Removing Bolts
419783f7.jpg

Broken Vent Removed
d224cdea.jpg

My new shiny Vent
d5bb4786.jpg

Finished Product
15d1b185.jpg

SN95nut

Reaction score
great write up very useful for me. ive been wanting to replace mine and now i know how much is involved

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
good write up.
BTW. the 94-96(maybe 97's too) quarter vents go through to the wheel well. So there might be a couple more fasteners back there as well.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I believe when i took my 94 vents out it is the same way. Even though the vents go through to the wheel wells there is still 3 bolts that go into the interior. I don't remeber there being anything else.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Nice writeup! Kudos.
FYI: Its a LITTLE harder on verts because the top tension cables are mounted to the retaining nuts for the scoop. I chose to leave the scoops in during the respray and just "pop" out the black plastic vents. That reminds me... I gotta go put em back in hah.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online