how to clean engine bay

96dkgreengt

Reaction score
so my engine bay is filthy..and i know spraying it down with a hose will get water everyone and in places water shouldnt be in..so i was wondering
how can i clean my engine bay in a healthy way without hurting any of the mechanicals inside of it? whats the best way to get it done?

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
GetAttachment.jpg

joekd

Reaction score
Degreaser, hose and a wheel brush is what I use. May take some time the very first time you are in there but after it's clean it's very easy to maintain.

Mine is so clean I added a little accessory to it

trophy09.jpg

dutman98

Reaction score
My engine bay needs cleaned too. Im too freaked out to spray water in there also.

OP
OP

96dkgreengt

Reaction score
both of your bays of extra clean..i guess if i wanna get it clean ill just have to find the time and spend many hours on it

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few engine bays that i have detailed....

The trick is to degrease everything and agitate it all with brushes. The apply a nice product for that brand new look.

IMG_1581Small.jpg

IMG_1631Small.jpg

IMG_1503Small.jpg

IMG_1526Small.jpg

IMG_1720Small.jpg

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Here are a few engine bays that i have detailed....

The trick is to degrease everything and agitate it all with brushes. The apply a nice product for that brand new look.
whats a nice product?

Obsessive Detail

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I also use an all purpose cleaner with a brush to agitate the bad areas. Then hose it the engine off, after it dries I like to apply Pig Spit, this stuff dries to the touch, doesn't attract dust and gives a nice clean factory look.

adrift

Reaction score
Except for those folks living in the south, isn't it a little cold to wash the engine bay? I figure something would crack if you washed your engine in near freezing weather and then started it up while still wet.

Obsessive Detail

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
two95s said:
Where do you get the pig spit?

I carry Pig Spit on my website. I actually starting using Pig Spit and then decided to stock it since it works so well.

NERD

Reaction score
Do what I did. Pull out the engine, power spray, scotch brite, paint and clear. It's still not done though, lol.

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
Ive never had a problem using degreaser and water on vehicle engines, and I detail vehicles for a living. I also have used an acid solution to make all the black plastic pieces under the hood look like new again as well. No shiny stuff needed. I'll get a picture up soon.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I spray simple green then rinse it gently, and redo a few times to get the grimy stuff. Then I will attend to the areas that need a hand cleaning but I haven't had an issue with hosing down the engine.

I also don't start the car for an hour or two after hosing down to let any water evaporate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online