How to get on-track

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Sounds like there's a good chance of the fender rubbing with 1" spacers. Did you have to roll your fenders?

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I run 17x9 OE 03 Cobras and MB Competions. No rubbing. Spacers are just in the rear.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Found this online magazine that answers a lot of beginner Qs. It also helps me when I instruct newbs to get a good communication down.

http://www.autotrackdaymonthly.com/index.php/how-to-s-main-menu/getting-started

In my instructor training a few weeks ago I found I wanted to teach a new student my 5+ years of experience in a 20 minute session. That's no good, as a new student you have a million things going on in your mind that day. And my job is to calm you down and make it all manageable. Work on specific parts of the track. That can be a little overwhelming for both you and I. But it definitely helps if the student is prepared and has a little knowledge of what to expect.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Glad to see that article had info about my local track, BIR. Knowing the history behind the track makes it a little more exciting too.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Well... here's how I got on track for the first time. The Australian Powercruise decided to bring their event to the US and landed at Brainerd International Raceway in Minnesota for Powercruise USA. Powercruise is just just meant to be a cruise session. They don't have brake markers, timing, or anything of that sort. Just go out and drive. They have a 100mph speed limit they don't enforce, and you're only supposed to pass on the straights. This is one of a few laps where I had an open track in front of me and had a chance to drive a little harder than normal. This was a great way to get to know the track and feel more comfortable about going to an actual track day later this year. This is probably one of the greatest times I've had in my entire life.

[video=youtube_share;Lj80mSrRa90]http://youtu.be/Lj80mSrRa90[/video]

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Definitely looked like fun. You're a smooth driver, do you have open track experience? Clearly the silver Vette and red Terminator did not.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
No, that was my first time on a track. I'm hoping to attend BIR's performance driving school this summer yet to get some real track time where I can learn and focus on brake markers, and hopefully learn the limits of the car and myself.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
No, that was my first time on a track. I'm hoping to attend BIR's performance driving school this summer yet to get some real track time where I can learn and focus on brake markers, and hopefully learn the limits of the car and myself.

Wow, that's awesome. Why do I never get students like you? I get the crazy guy that thinks he's Mario Andretti because he has a new performance car, and I'm really second guessing whether he actually has a street driver's license.

Evilgt

Reaction score
Just a FYI for the Colorado people. We can get you on track for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes for free as long as you are willing to work corners at the track.

Come out and become a course official and earn free track time. As a corner official/corner worker you get the chance to earn free track time, the best seat in the house to watch some great racing, lunch is provided and so is SATURDAY night dinner and BEER on Saturday night.

Any of you guys interested for next season or possibly oct 11/12 let me know and I can get you in touch with the right people.

kyle

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Anyone use a neck restraint? Other than a Hans?

I saw this online and wondered if it would be a good low-budget alternative. http://www.valhallaracing.com/products/360-plus-device

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Get an SFI rated one, automobile racing requires SFI unless it's optional for your groups. I run a HANS because it was the ONLY SFI rated product when H&N devices were mandated by NASA. But just like any safety device, the day you need it you won't care whether you saved a couple hundred bucks. My .02 anyway.

Is it just for DE? Or are you considering W2W racing?

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Just DE with no near future plans of pursuing w2w.

You never know what might happen on the track. I had a buddy snap an outer tie rod going around a corner on his way to a store once. The car had 15k miles on it at the time. Luckily it was a smooth drive into the ditch for him. You just never know what could break.

Like you're saying, the one time you need it you'll be glad you bought it.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I run the Simpson Hybrid. Easy to get in and out of the car. I have door bars and a halo seat. It even works a little bit if not using a harness.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online