How to get on-track

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Sure, I don't see why not.

You can probably run HPDE-G, for Grandpa!! :) j/k, what model is it? As long as it's not a SUV/truck, there should be no issue.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Thoughts on upgrading the cooling system (all aluminum radiator for example) before hitting the track?

My local track, Brainerd Int. Raceway, has a couple decent wide open straights. Should I be worried about running high RPMs for longer periods of time?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

ba#97

Reaction score
Thoughts on upgrading the cooling system (all aluminum radiator for example) before hitting the track?

My local track, Brainerd Int. Raceway, has a couple decent wide open straights. Should I be worried about running high RPMs for longer periods of time?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4

are you first starting out? if so....don't worry too much about it, you probably won't be running hard enough to heat the car up that bad, but yes...once you get further into track days, cooling is a very big thing on our cars, aluminum radiator, upgraded t-state, water and water wetter etc etc. but when you just start out....just go out and drive. you won't know what your car needs till you hit the track anyways. also, brake cooling is huge on our cars too, as is getting an oil cooler, and actual gauges, oil temp, water temp etc.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Completely understand what you're saying. So far I know I've never liked the stock brakes. That goes for my old 94 V6 and my 95 GT. Because of that I decided to go ahead and do the LMR SVE front upgrade right away. Went with the "plain" rotors. Hopefully it will feel better. I'll accompany it with a fluid change as well (still researching Dot 3 vs. Dot 4.). Right now on the street it seems like I get brake fade way too fast, and way too easily on the stock brake system. They feel decent during hard braking a couple times. So I don't know if it's me braking too hard, the fluid, or the fact my pads are pretty worn.

I haven't purchased anything for the rear brakes yet. Do I NEED to do rear brake maintenance with the fronts? As in, from a brand/material perspective, should I be matching the front and rear rotors and pads? Is it bad if I skip out on refreshing the rears since they don't do much? For what it's worth, the parking brake holds extremely well yet. Last time I had the local Ford service shop check out my car, the put my front and rear pads into the "caution" range. I can afford to do the maintenance, but would rather save what I can and put it off for another summer. Does that basically translate to - do it anyways?

I don't have anything set in stone, but was hoping to push myself to try out a track day at least once this summer. I know I'll fall in love with it, and so I want the best experience I can get the first time out. I figured the brake upgrade will do me well, and it will be a nice upgrade for the occasional country road cruises. Anyways, just thinking out loud. I'd appreciate any opinions and facts from you guys. I like to go into things as educated as possible.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
You know, I ran 99-04 GT PBR calipers in the front with 98 GT rears for a couple of years in competition. Never felt like I couldn't lock up the brakes. Of course pads, fluid, and brake lines make all the difference.

I wouldn't worry about it upgrading brakes for your start. Spend money on what will make a difference, like tires, fluids, and reliability. Go out there and learn to drive!

v6mustang94

Reaction score
I actually did a 99-04 GT PBR upgrade on my 94 V6. I was a little younger then, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Pedal felt good, but braking still seemed to lack in my opinion. Anyways, I already purchased the SVE upgrade from LMR earlier today. So with new pads, lines, and fluid it sounds like I shouldn't probably be good for awhile. Any opinions on Dot 3 vs. 4? It sounds like Dot 4 is a little more than I need considering I'll be primarily street, and I don't know if I'll actually do a track day.

What other fluid/reliability upgrades would you suggest? Someone mentioned T-stat earlier which I forgot to comment on. I'll more than likely upgrade that as general maintenance of purchasing the car as the 3rd owner (Car was stock, other than unknown maintenance when I bought it. 67k miles at purchase). Currently I'm running on Nitto 555s. I did the 18" Saleen package from American Muscle. Didn't wear them down much this last summer that I've had them. just some spirited back road driving. Along with the wheels I did Eibach Pro-kit, Tokico HP blues, MM CC plates, Steeda X2s, and MM full length weld in SFCs. Most of that was personal preference from my V6 setup, and more focused towards looks. Hindsight, thought I haven't been to the track yet, I wish I had considered other options. None the less, I feel it matches the driving I'll be doing 95% of the time for now. I also have 3.55 gears waiting to be installed this Spring. Again, trying to stay street drivable for the moment. When the weather is good I try to drive the Mustang to work and get groceries haha.

Again, it's all depending on whether or not I actually do a track day. I would love to, and I know I'll love it. Nerves hold me back a little. Once that happens, I have a feeling I'm only going to want to do it more and do it better every time.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
You gotta do it. Don't let the butterflies in your stomach deter you. There's a lot to it, not gonna lie. Learning flags, passing people, 'the line', braking zones, tracking out, turn in, shifting, etc. But it's all worth it. In 2 track sessions you'll start to get the hang of it and there's no going back. You'll be drooling to get better and start some sort of competition on track. In 06 I started in HPDE1 in the local NASA. In 07 I was running a caged BMW and got my competition licence at the end of the season. Look up your local NASA region and start there. Sign up for one event, and try it. Worst case you'll never do it again, one day or weekend that you didn't like. Best case, the crack pipe is lit and you'll never look at driving the same way.

I would change your brake fluid to a DOT 3/4 synthetic. Valvoline is a great choice. Do a complete flush. Change the brake pads to something other than part store crap. Hawk, Carbotech, or even EBC. You have a lot of good parts on your car. Add some MM or J&M LCAs and you should have a great handling bolt-on Stang. The V8s will overheat without a big radiator. Not sure on the 6, but you'll know after a 20min session. You don't want to be sidelined when you pay $100+/day to drive, so make sure you are ready for the day/weekend.

Do it!!

ba#97

Reaction score
I actually did a 99-04 GT PBR upgrade on my 94 V6. I was a little younger then, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Pedal felt good, but braking still seemed to lack in my opinion. Anyways, I already purchased the SVE upgrade from LMR earlier today. So with new pads, lines, and fluid it sounds like I shouldn't probably be good for awhile. Any opinions on Dot 3 vs. 4? It sounds like Dot 4 is a little more than I need considering I'll be primarily street, and I don't know if I'll actually do a track day.

What other fluid/reliability upgrades would you suggest? Someone mentioned T-stat earlier which I forgot to comment on. I'll more than likely upgrade that as general maintenance of purchasing the car as the 3rd owner (Car was stock, other than unknown maintenance when I bought it. 67k miles at purchase). Currently I'm running on Nitto 555s. I did the 18" Saleen package from American Muscle. Didn't wear them down much this last summer that I've had them. just some spirited back road driving. Along with the wheels I did Eibach Pro-kit, Tokico HP blues, MM CC plates, Steeda X2s, and MM full length weld in SFCs. Most of that was personal preference from my V6 setup, and more focused towards looks. Hindsight, thought I haven't been to the track yet, I wish I had considered other options. None the less, I feel it matches the driving I'll be doing 95% of the time for now. I also have 3.55 gears waiting to be installed this Spring. Again, trying to stay street drivable for the moment. When the weather is good I try to drive the Mustang to work and get groceries haha.

Again, it's all depending on whether or not I actually do a track day. I would love to, and I know I'll love it. Nerves hold me back a little. Once that happens, I have a feeling I'm only going to want to do it more and do it better every time.

you have the beginnings of a good car going for you especially with the c/c plates and sfc's. as for your brake questions, I will say this....if you haven't yet, get some good pads for the rear brakes while you're at it in your brake maintenance when you do your swap. your car may not use rear brake much at all...(our cars really don't) but for my personal preference, I want good stuff on all 4 corners. as rich said, with the track you'll want at least a little more aggressive pad now, as for fluid....I used this when I was street driving and tracking and it works very well.....http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Motul-Racing-Brake-Fluid-P680.aspx

as for gears, 3.55's or 3.73's are what I see mainly for our cars on open track. anything more is too much and you'll be shifting too much.

as for the rest of it....just get out there and learn. you won't be driving quite hard enough to overheat your car at this moment (I am not saying this as a doubt of your abilities, just a given that when you get out there for the first time you will have a lot to learn), but upgrading that stuff is something you'll want to do once you get more into it and get faster. then it's important....especially front brake cooling. but for now...get out there and learn. don't worry so much about upgrades right now. you need to learn the car, getting the line down, braking zones, shifting, passing etc etc. and just have fun and mainly....make sure you like it first. you may....(though I highly doubt it....get out there and realize it's not for you). the more upgrades you do...the more expensive it gets. trust me! haha. where are you located??

all in all....just go....make sure your car is safe....and have some fun. learn. watching videos helps too.

Nightmare

Reaction score
Good read, Rich! I have it a little easier, having Road America in my back yard (20 min away) and another course about an hour south of me....

With that being said, I have been told to change out your pads to Hawk pads (I believe the blue ones) on tpp of changing out the fluid.....Also, some tracks encourage you go out with an instructor (someone who has a bit of track time.....I have 4 buddies that are licensed to do so) for your first few sessions....Take them up on their offer of they do, as they will help you correct your line and ultimatly make you faster/safer.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] Getting my car on the track for the first time in about a week at sears point. I've been told to do hpde-1 on sat, and 2 on sunday but I haven't seen anything from NASA about what class to do. This sound right?
Also I'm going to have my graphics guy make a windshield banner and a couple numbers for the door, do they assign numbers for hpde or do you kind of just show up with whatever you want?

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
RichV Getting my car on the track for the first time in about a week at sears point. I've been told to do hpde-1 on sat, and 2 on sunday but I haven't seen anything from NASA about what class to do. This sound right?
Also I'm going to have my graphics guy make a windshield banner and a couple numbers for the door, do they assign numbers for hpde or do you kind of just show up with whatever you want?

I'm certain the NASA regions carry the same rules so I'm fairly confident it will be the same as the RockyMountain region.

Sign up for HPDE1 only. If you are ready to move up to HPDE2 your instructor will let you know and you will be moved to that group during the weekend. Don't feel like you have to move, let the staff decide and have fun. If you have some experience, they may move you to 2 after the 1st track session.

When you register you have the option to put in a car # for your profile, that's the # you should use. Although there is no hard rule on this, HPDE numbers are a free for all and can have the same #s running on track. They may ask you to change if there are 2 white mustangs both with the same # during the same session, but usually it's really not something to fret over. Just use the # you want. You just need numbers on the doors.

Also, definitely get your car tech'd before the weekend. Find a tech shop and get it done, incase some mods need attention or there is something not in spec. You'll have time to fix it and not miss track time.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Good read, Rich! I have it a little easier, having Road America in my back yard (20 min away) and another course about an hour south of me....

With that being said, I have been told to change out your pads to Hawk pads (I believe the blue ones) on tpp of changing out the fluid.....Also, some tracks encourage you go out with an instructor (someone who has a bit of track time.....I have 4 buddies that are licensed to do so) for your first few sessions....Take them up on their offer of they do, as they will help you correct your line and ultimatly make you faster/safer.

I'd probably not go with the HAWK blues, they are more of a race pad. Will just crumble with street use, more of a race car pad. NASA's HPDE program requires you to ride with an instructor if you are a novice. HPDE1 (with instructor) and HPDE2 (no instructor) are on track at the same time, so when you graduate to HPDE2 there are still a lot of instructors on track during the session and can flag if someone out there is not driving safe.

I will be instructing this year for NASA, just taking a break from racing. So I'm getting up to speed on how the program works since I've just done competition for the last 5+ years. Should be fun,,, and scary at the same time. :)

ba#97

Reaction score
RichV Getting my car on the track for the first time in about a week at sears point. I've been told to do hpde-1 on sat, and 2 on sunday but I haven't seen anything from NASA about what class to do. This sound right?

Well seeing as we are both in norcal and both have white mustangs and you know mine is a track car...just dont use #97and you'll be fine! Haha.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Well seeing as we are both in norcal and both have white mustangs and you know mine is a track car...just dont use #97and you'll be fine! Haha.

Haha I went with 72. You ever do hpde? We should meet up I'll be out there march 15/16

ba#97

Reaction score

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Wheels spacers, bad or acceptable? I understand some racing organizations don't allow them. I'm assuming you could pass tech inspection during an open track day, but is it just a bad idea in general for road racing?

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I run spacers. Most race cars do have them to maximize track width. Ideally you want to change the studs to 3" if you're using bolt-thru. I have a set of hubcentric H&R 1.25" that are studded. So I have cut my OEM studs down, bolted in the spacers, then the spacers have studs.

Probably would not shop for the cheapest you can find due to centering issues and strength, but to answer your question, yes you will pass tech. Just make sure the wheel stud has plenty of threads after you install the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online