How-to Polish -- examples, pictures, tips and tricks...

lilj4u2njoy

Reaction score
What an amazing write up, my tourqe thrust rims in the back are considerably more faded than in the front should I do this process of polishing on them?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
It's def possible to rework your tt2's lil4u2njoy.

I should post some pictures of the CCW's that I've been working on. I've got pictures but it has been a slow process for me, I just work on them as I get some spare time... just plan on selling them so haven't been all that motivated to get them done quickly.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
nc_mystic I'm not familiar with that particular product, but I can tell you that if you go to just about any big car event you will see at least one or two stands showing off what they claim to be the "ultimate" polishing product. Like so many products out their they will wow you with their display and make all kinds of claims... imo they all work about the same, their is a small amount of "grit" in the product that will polish aluminum. Granted some are better than others for different applications. It doesn't hurt to try a couple different kinds.

I'm a fan of mother's billet polish, you can pick it up at any autozone, advancedauto, etc.

Just logged on to svtp, it looks like somebody has done a review on the shineseal stuff, you might check that out. I might take a look at it if I get time. Time for bed right now though.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
I've had a couple pm's asking about a clear coat... pretty sure I've already mentioned it, but it doesn't hurt to post it again.

From my experience... No, I cannot recommend applying a clear coat. It might delay the process but eventually the metal will still oxidize/tarnish, when you go to re-polish you will have to strip the clear... much easier to just hit your polished stuff from time to time.

You can always try any of the various sealants that are available, such as the link nc-mystic posted. Zoopseal was another, but I believe they closed up shop.

I don't use "sealants" because imho they are just another unnecessary step. cleaner wax and most polishes themselves will work in much the same way as the so-called sealant. I'm sure their are some that will dissagree but bare metal will oxidize and tarnish eventually regardless of what you slather on. I feel like a broken record but the best way to keep a polished part the 'shiniest' is to put in the time on the sanding process. The more care to remove all, and I mean all, sanding marks the better the final result and the peice will maintain it's luster longer.

HuskerGT

Reaction score
thorco3 said:
What can be polished? Some parts I've had good luck with:
Brake calipers:
3896624401_6b535aafb5_o.jpg

Great write-up. I think I'm going to give my 5.0 intake plaque a shot.
I'm jumping off-topic here, but what slotted rotors are those shown in your pic? I'm looking for a reasonably priced set for my Cobra brake upgrade I'm going to start in the Spring.
The Power Slots are expen$ive...

Thanks

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
Sounds good husker. Those are powerslots. I've put a couple thousand miles on them and have no complaints. I don't remember them being too expensive.

HuskerGT

Reaction score
The cheapest I've found them was on ebay, $450 shipping for all 4. If I go this route, I plan on selling the plain Cobra rotors I have to help offset the cost. Can't justify the cost at this point since I have a freshly turned, barely used front set and a brand new rear set ready to go.

Thanks for the quick answer!

NCMystic

Reaction score
i have seen polished alternator over the years, are those aftermarket models made of different metal or can i polish my stock alternator? if i can polish the stocker i would imagine all the metal "dust" getting in through the vents could be a problem. . . advice?

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
I've heard of people polishing the stock alt, but I would suggest taking off the housing that you plan on polishing. I've never messed with it myself, so I don't really have any solid advice on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online