HP expected?

tormentor666

Reaction score
what's up guy's. Im relatively new here, i had issues with my trans case but im taking care of it, at the same time im rebuilding some stuff and getting a 2800 11' stall converter from patc. So at that point the car (1998 gt) will have 4.10 gears, PA shift kit, lube mod, front pump mod, 2800 stall converter, shorty headers, offroad x pipe, slp lm1, pi intake, TF plenum, 75mm throtle, CAI and mad coils. It's a npi engine but i wanna keep it that way since im doing forced induction on the future. So the thing is that i want to throw some XE274H cams along with a port and polished job on the heads,24lb injectors with matching maf and all this will be dynotuned by hans at Deans performance.
How much HP you guys think my car will make?
anything wrong with the setup? Comments-advices?
Thanks in advance bros. cheers from Illinois.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure you want those cams with a stock shortblock. That's a pretty big cam for a stock compression engine. The overlap those cams have will lower your usable compression (dynamic compression) and it'll be a dog down low. Are you dead set on keeping the shortblock stock?

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
hey man, im rebuilding that damn case already lol. Yeah, i heard that they're not good At low rpm's, but some other guys states that you can keep up with the gas pedal, but i dont know wich side is true. I will forge my bottom end and get an 8 bolt cobra crankshaft, but that will be whenever i get the turbos. Or you mean like replacing the actual block?.
I dont have a j mod, but i have a Performance Automatic shift kit which it's very similar to the j mod procedure, you drill the plate, change some springs and valves.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So let me get this right...255 rwhp with a PI manifold, exhaust, throttle body on stock non pi heads/cams through an auto. Sorry man, something isn't adding up

Yeah I agree 255 is a bit ambitious especially through a 4R70W.

It took me Fox Lake stage 2 PI's, Comp 262AH's and everything else but long tubes to get 275rwhp through my auto. I was 171rwhp stock :)

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I agree 255 is a bit ambitious especially through a 4R70W.

It took me Fox Lake stage 2 PI's, Comp 262AH's and everything else but long tubes to get 275rwhp through my auto. I was 171rwhp stock :)

That makes complete sense. Mine stock was right in that 170rwhp range as well. When I was dyno'ing every bolt on imaginable through stock non pi heads and non pi cams I was in the 220rwhp range from what I remember. The good ol' days

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
255rwhp is good! Im not doughting just skeptical. So many veriables screw with a dyno, but anyhow.

255rwhp is easy to do npi. Get everything else pi and bolt it on, including cams. Longtubes help!

Swapping to pi heads will get you to 300rwhp

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
I know modulars are hard to bring up, but 170hp i think thats way too low, on 98 it supposed to have 220hp on stock, i know auto transmision's steal some hp but not 50 or more. Bolt ons wont give you tons of power but i think at least you can get 20-25 out of them with a tune included. Cause if im completely wrong and those numbers are right, then what the hell was Ford's problem? Why they built such a weak and useless engine? Forced induction should be an advanced or final step in our cars, not the only option. Thats why it's hard for me to believe that.
I considered the full PI swap but the compression boost it's what concerns me. Im planning to do a twin turbo setup in a few years and I've been reading that non pi heads on non pi blocks are more suitable for boost aplications. Thats why i only went halfway.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Tell me about it man, these cars are the red headed step childs. If you've never had your car strapped to a dyno to know for certain...bone stock you'll probably see 180rwhp or so through a 4r70w trans. I know you want to do every last thing bolt on wise before boost, but this is the exact reason why guys go PI components and boost and don't waste money on bolt ons for these cars. There's no power to be had

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You have to remember that these cars are now @ 20 years old. 215-225 hp cars were what was available at the time and if you wanted 300 you had to step up to a Cobra or similar model from other manufacturer.

The mighty old 5.0 from my beloved fox body Mustangs also put out @ 175rwhp but in our minds they made so much more. Bolt ons did give you more from the 5.0 though.

Now for your future Twin Turbo desires.... don't make plans now for that, as in not doing PI swap, because your setup will change 5X by then. Plus if you do go with twins you are going to build your short block so you can adjust your compression with piston dish.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me feel happy to know my little V6 put out 205/245 N/a :)

Basically, everything here is the truth. The NPI 4.6, sounds great, will run forever, but short of boost or a very extensive N/A build, it's a dog.

PI swap it and throw something on there to let it eat.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If anyone wants to find npi results ran in a 4000lbs car, head over to the tccoa forums and do a little npi search. Youll find the thunderbird guys were pulling of low 12sec quarters full weight cars. Not to shabby if you ask me.
A company called Renegade racing was innovating the npi potential.

The down fall here, .....the stock npi engine must be cracked open in order to gain respectable power gains. I have yet to find or see a pi head out do a npi by a significant gain. Pi gained popularity because of the intake, cam, and compression bump once mounted on a npi shortblock. The heads still contenders!

The npi heads just need a little rubbing! Not to bad!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online