HP expected?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone wants to find npi results ran in a 4000lbs car, head over to the tccoa forums and do a little npi search. Youll find the thunderbird guys were pulling of low 12sec quarters full weight cars. Not to shabby if you ask me.
A company called Renegade racing was innovating the npi potential.

The down fall here, .....the stock npi engine must be cracked open in order to gain respectable power gains. I have yet to find or see a pi head out do a npi by a significant gain. Pi gained popularity because of the intake, cam, and compression bump once mounted on a npi shortblock. The heads still contenders!

The npi heads just need a little rubbing! Not to bad!
'

You're right. I was moreso trying to emphasize the boost or extensive n/a work aspect more than anything :)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I had no intentions to exploit your post...lol. sorry if it appeared that way.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think most realize it isn't cheap to make a fast NPI unless you have your own equipment to work on the heads etc.

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
well thats really disappointing, i was hoping to stay npi and get good numbers, but apparently I'll have to go pi, cause yeah, you guy's are right, i can modify the compression with the new pistons, but the other problen that i have is that if i go PI the cam that i want to use (xe274h) will cause ptv clearence problems, I've reading that those cams are basically better suited for npi heads, now i dont know if that applies for pi blocks/pi heads engines only or npi block/pi heads engines too, cause if that's so, I'll have to back out several degrees on the camshaft and that'll be a second kick in the nuts. Thats why i was planning just port and polish my npi along with a good valve job. What you guys think?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good valve job? The heads are coming off now? Deck them bad boys .100", youll get more compression than pi and still have more valve clearance. The cams will love the compression hike also! No ptv contact when degreed with npi heads! Regardless of pistons used.

Yes the npi heads will appreciate those cams because of blow down rate being less than the pi head. This is because of a smaller exhaust valve and pinched exhaust port. Their for more exhaust valve timing is needed and the 274 are perfect!

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
yeah, i was planing to remove them to get them ported. So should i deck the heads at .100' along with port and polish? What you recommend for the valves? I dont have too much knowledge about heads, so if you could guide me I'll totally appreciate it, buddy.
Yep that's what i been reading, so i guess I'll stick to my plan lol.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
eow, wait a min! Whst are uour goals with the car? Racing, daily driver, or wekend cruiser? Lets figure out whats needed to what you want.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stop it. We are all equal and sharing our knowledge together helps us all prosper. Lets grow together!

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
I want to race it mostly, i mean i just thought it would be great if i can drive it to the track instead of tow it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Drag racing? The cam isnt big. Plenty of folk use the cam for daily drivers. Bump the npi compression up, run a pi intake, slip in some long tubes....youll be happy

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
yeah :D drag racing. Yeah i was thinking hooker longtubes. What compresion ratio would you recommend?
Happy new years by the way buddies. My best wishes.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Flat tops put you in 11.1static area. Dont be affraid to go more if you'd like. Just be sure to get tuned. If you mill the npi heads .100" you gain a quench pad and your static begins to touch 15.1. im finding the 5.4lnpi heads are the real ticket for npi performance, unless you can score a set of svo heads. The big restritor with the 4.6l npi heads is the exhaust port and intake port entrance. The 5.4l head ex.port is already opened up alot more, but youll need to do surgery on the intake as the entrance is pintched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online