I think my car is running lean!?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by AaRoN, Jun 27, 2007.

1. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

So it runs fine until it warms up. Then is starts to spit and sputter when i'm cruising at a steady speed but if im accelerating it's fine. I'm lost as to why it's doing this. I noticed it after i washed the engine bay. it's totally fine (warm or cold) when it's just idleing. my a/f (although it is just the autometer lightshow) it stays towards the lean side when i'm cruising. any ideas?

2. quickstang_1994

quickstang_1994 Well-Known Member

pull your wires and blow the water out, then pull the plugs and clean them with carb cleaner

3. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

thanks man. i'll try that. it gets me that would be the problem only when the car is at operating temp :dunno:

4. quickstang_1994

Before operating temp it runs off a set mode not the sensors. You might want to clean the maf while you are there. I wash my S281 and it did the samething and it took me a while to realize that water got pass the boots on the spark plugs.

5. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

i think thats what it is. i noticed some water around the boots a couple days after. thanks a bunch O0

6. Whistler98

Whistler98 Active Member

Yeah I bet you just got water passed the boots. You have to be careful when spraying off the motor. When I changed my intake I got coolant everwhere, starter up and it was fine then it started missing and stuff. Here I just didn't get all the water outta the spark plugs. blu them out with compressed air and had a nice green fog comin outta there, ran fine after that. I would just pull the boots and blow them out hopefully that will fix your probs.

7. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

i used a shop vac to clean out what i could. but the spark plugs (only a month old) were black when i pulled them but the passenger side ones were almost brand new looking :dunno: i put new plugs on the driver's side and it still has a little bit of a "miss" when it's at operating temp but not all the time now. ;i am totally stumped now :dunno:

8. quickstang_1994

clean your o2 you shouldn't have one side different from the other. Then reset your computer(disconnect battery for 5 min)