Ignition cylinder & key get misaligned-FIXED!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning everyone and Happy Holiday season!

Recently, my ignition key and lock cylinder somehow get misaligned. It seems to me that the cylinder lock is not setting into its proper position/alignment after removing the key at shutdown.

Is my lock cylinder the problem? Or is it something internal in the steering column? If anyone else has experienced same, I would greatly appreciate input as to solutions and remedies. Many thanks!

Happy and safe Holidays!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Take the lock cylinder out and take it to a locksmith and they should be able to fix it. It is easy enough to pull out once you find that itty bitty spot to push that you can do it in the parking lot of the locksmith after parking it. My only warning is not to turn it after you remove it from the column. I think if you turn it back counter-clockwise after it is out it basically all falls apart in your hands.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thx, Scott. I replaced it once before, but that was a little while ago when I first bought it. I remember there being specific steps. So I YouTubed’d it and will follow instructions to a tee!

Bought a replacement instead. Nearest locksmith is 15 miles away + his/her cost + my time. More cost effective and less hassle to just get a new one and pop it in. Yes, a perfect example of our “disposable society” !

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the only problem you will have then is you will have one key for the doors/trunk and one for teh ignition. Again if you take that new ignition to a locksmith he can rekey it so the original key fits the new cylinder.

joemomma

Reaction score
My ignition is sloppy, and should likely be replaced before it fails. How difficult is this swap/install?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could not be much easier. Do a youtube search, takes 3 secs to pull the ignition out once ya find the little button. Like I said I am pretty sure it can be repaired by a locksmith for not much.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Found the YouTube videos. Hope it goes that smoothly. On it at sun up!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Found the YouTube videos. Hope it goes that smoothly. On it at sun up!
Take the lock cylinder out and take it to a locksmith and they should be able to fix it. It is easy enough to pull out once you find that itty bitty spot to push that you can do it in the parking lot of the locksmith after parking it. My only warning is not to turn it after you remove it from the column. I think if you turn it back counter-clockwise after it is out it basically all falls apart in your hands.
just be sure to note the part about not turning it once you have it out of the car. I did it one time and it was almost comical how many parts suddenly came apart at the same time. The locksmith giggled and I could tell that he was use to it/knew better and could fix it. He had it back together if 5 secs.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got it done this morning! Took about 1/2hr with all the R&R, but the cylinder was simple. The sleeve around the new cylinder said it was already turned but it wasn’t. That was a simple remedy, so no biggy there. Went right in, clicked in, buttoned it all back up…Done!

badass98svt

Reaction score
My ignition is sloppy, and should likely be replaced before it fails. How difficult is this swap/install?

It's a pretty simple swap. I did it on a 97 GT I had many years ago.
If you can find one still, I'd get the OEM kit that lets you install all the tumblers yourself. That's the route I went. This way you can retain your original key for the door and ignition.

joemomma

Reaction score
It's a pretty simple swap. I did it on a 97 GT I had many years ago.
If you can find one still, I'd get the OEM kit that lets you install all the tumblers yourself. That's the route I went. This way you can retain your original key for the door and ignition.
You happen to have a part number?

EDIT: while I'm sure the LMR kit is fine, I would like to keep it OEM if possible and I like the idea of keeping the same key without having to pay a locksmith. I have a good one, but he isn't cheap.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the house brand from 1A auto. Solid piece. Fit perfectly. After all the mod’s on my car, OE for an ignition lock cylinder wasn’t essential. If mine were still stock, the yes, absolutely. But it isn’t, so…..

joemomma

Reaction score
Well, mine ain't exactly stock either at this point lol. I've just had mixed results with some of the LMR stuff (namely the door pull/insert things).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well, mine ain't exactly stock either at this point lol. I've just had mixed results with some of the LMR stuff (namely the door pull/insert things).
what issues did you have with the pulls? I have converted probably about a dozen or so to the GTS switchless style and never had anyone complain. The only problem I ever had was once in shipping one of the tabs had been bent, but some heat and pressure I got it back into place

badass98svt

Reaction score
You happen to have a part number?

EDIT: while I'm sure the LMR kit is fine, I would like to keep it OEM if possible and I like the idea of keeping the same key without having to pay a locksmith. I have a good one, but he isn't cheap.

Motorcraft part # SW-6383 I believe is the correct #

Motorcraft SW6383 Ignition Switch and Lock Cylinder https://a.co/d/aOSz89v

Screenshot_20231220-155837.png

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you do yours, Joe?

joemomma

Reaction score
No, I didn't have a chance to do anything over the break. I came down with Flu A the day after Christmas, so I've been couch-bound the whole time I was off. Maybe this weekend I'll feel like doing some work, we'll see. I've got a bunch of new goodies for the car.

joemomma

Reaction score
Flu, 'rona, and strep are prevalent here in Mid-TN at present.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and it goes right up on through KY to southern indiana where I am. I am thankful they have not started the mask crap again but wonder how long they will wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online