Fox Mustang ignition switch?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Experiencing a problem with our 86 GT.
Went to start it and no power on the ON/RUN circuit. Crank s fine, catches, but if you release the key, it cuts out.

Eventually realized that if i keep pressure on the key towards the START section, it runs just fine. If the key cylinder wiggles back even slightly, it cuts out.

Is this usually a key cylinder problem, or is it usually the switch lower down on the column?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Werecow

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'd would have to be the keyswitch.. if it was the solenoid it won't bump over to start... Might try and see if it'll start and stay running with the key in the run position and bump the solenoid... It's not keeping power in the hot on run side of the solenoid.. also check the solenoid and see if it's getting power to the hot side when the key is in the run side?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its probably the switch, but its easy enough to take out the cylinder for a quick inspection to make sure there isn't anything broken that you can see.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 87 Grand Marquis a few months back. It’d crank and run with the key turned but as soon as I’d release the key it would die. I realized if I kept pressure on the lower steering column it would keep on running so I pulled the shroud and sure enough the ignition switch was coming apart.

Now if it runs until you move the key or is sloppy my guess would be the key cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostr1

Reaction score
The switch, my 88 Bronco II had the same problem. Lol, I drove it like that for awhile before I got it fixed... fingers can get a little tired keeping the ignition in the correct position.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online