im looking at building my 96 mustang gt to make 400+whp

OP
OP

96prpl2v

Reaction score
I’d just do a Vortech at 10lbs with supporting fuel mods you’ll make your goal and the car will be a blast
wont this cost much more a vortech supercharger on AmericanMuscle is around 4,000$ i think. the mods i have right now(besides BBK 78mm Throttle Body and the 4.10 gears which i installed) are at an estimated cost of 800$ (400$ for BBK TB and 400$ for 4.10 gears) with that being said i’ve done research that i could run a 100 shot on the mods i have right now and if i got a tune i could go up and some N2O kits i was looking at that comes with everything i need are only around 600-1000$. the supercharger would make more power but i’m not going only for power im going for power at a good price and i think the nitrous option is much better if i’m on a budget what do you guys think?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
a new supercharger, yes but if you are on a budget they come up used and can be rebuilt. The TB is big for the #s you are talking. Don't forget you will want a window switch with the nitrous if the kit does not come with one.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I ran a 125 shot on my 2v it was fun but filling bottles gets expensive you can find a used blower kit for 2500 and be way better off . After having a million of these cars my first mod I recommend is forced induction and grow around it

OP
OP

96prpl2v

Reaction score
a new supercharger, yes but if you are on a budget they come up used and can be rebuilt. The TB is big for the #s you are talking. Don't forget you will want a window switch with the nitrous if the kit does not come with one.
yea i have already done a small research for a hour or so on what all i need and what the safest way to do it is. also what do you mean the 78mm is too big for the only 240 ish hp range? i thought the 78mm was the biggest TB you can get and at any time as it won’t damage anything and it will help much more with more power am i correct?

badass98svt

Reaction score
78mm is way too big for what you need, unless you are going FI

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I run a 75 on mine with a vortch and trickflow heads and to use it I had to port the cobra intake as it was only 70mm at the opening.

OP
OP

96prpl2v

Reaction score
78mm is way too big for what you need, unless you are going FI
they came stock with FI
Get a 1.840" intake valve in the pi heads. Get a nasty cam with a 106lsa, something like comps 274 / 278 cam reground to 106lsa. An edelbrock intake manifold. The intake will favor the nitrous far better than a stock intake. Some headers(and hate yourself for installing them). This will get you well over 300rwhp
im a little confused in the PI swap i would do i would replace heads,cams,intake,intake valve, valve covers
Again, 210-215 HP is not the stock RWHP, that is the stock HP rating at the crank
Also Gears, suspension, shifter etc dont add any HP.
A stock NPI 4.6 will make about 175-185 RWHP.
Full bolt ons, you'd be lucky to see 200-210 RWHP (UDP, CAI, exhaust, etc etc)
If I had to guess, I'd say you're currently around 190-195 RWHP.
A Vortech at 8-10 lbs would net you 300 RWHP, give or take a few.
But don't worry about chasing #s, just enjoy the car.
i actually dynoed it yesterday and with the bolt ons and stuff i already have i made 220rwhp

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
FI=forced induction. Turbo or supercharger.

Can you post a picture of your dyno graph? Also, what kind of dyno was used?

You’ve got long tubes on there so it’ll probably open up a little power. At your current level, the throttle body and intake is not a restriction so there isn’t any real power to gain there.

badass98svt

Reaction score
How did the power curve look? Can we see the dyno graph?

OP
OP

96prpl2v

Reaction score
I ran a 125 shot on my 2v it was fun but filling bottles gets expensive you can find a used blower kit for 2500 and be way better off . After having a million of these cars my first mod I recommend is forced induction and grow around it
so do you think it would be a better idea to just save all my money until i can get a supercharger then build off of that? because i want to go the best route possible but it would also take me a few months to save as i’m only 16 and after phone bill, gas for my dd(5.9 magnum gas guzzler), insurance on both my vehicles i only bring in 4-500 a month i feel like a nitrous kit would be a easier task as a supercharger is probably going to be around 2k used plus install but nitrous only around 800 for a brand new kit and i atleast have the mechanical knowledge to get that set up. just my thoughts but if FI is the 100% best option that is what i will shoot for

07GtS197

Reaction score
You could also piece together a kit or a tork tech kit and make what you want to make. My vote is for fi, the power is always there unlike nitrous.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
so do you think it would be a better idea to just save all my money until i can get a supercharger then build off of that? because i want to go the best route possible but it would also take me a few months to save as i’m only 16 and after phone bill, gas for my dd(5.9 magnum gas guzzler), insurance on both my vehicles i only bring in 4-500 a month i feel like a nitrous kit would be a easier task as a supercharger is probably going to be around 2k used plus install but nitrous only around 800 for a brand new kit and i atleast have the mechanical knowledge to get that set up. just my thoughts but if FI is the 100% best option that is what i will shoot for
These Vortech kits are super simple to install you can easily do them in a day with very little knowledge . Going down both routes and having a bunch of these cars over the years . Forced induction is always at the top of the list for me .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online