In for a penny, in for a pound - '98 Cobra Build Thread

McCloud

Reaction score
I'll have to order some of that paint soon. I've heard it mentioned a couple of times. What size and type tires are your running? My drag radials don't do a terrible job once they are warmed up in 2nd and 3rd.
I've got the MT ET Street SS in 305/35/18. It's been cold everytime I've driven the car so I'm sure that probably has alot to do with lack of traction. I'm sure with a burnout they'll hook better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Will the mirrors be all gloss black or similar to how the 03/04 cobra mirrors are painted? Either way they'll look great!

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Will the mirrors be all gloss black or similar to how the 03/04 cobra mirrors are painted? Either way they'll look great!

For sure be painted same as cobra mirrors. Plan is to hit both pieces with black then go over the base with a flat clear and the outer mirror with gloss clear.

Rob04Mach1

Reaction score
Amazing Build, Amazing Cobra, Amazing Job :headbang:

You can get in a lot of trouble with that power, I had a 03 Terminator with 717 /640 Rear Wheel and it was totally insane. 2.8H KB on a built motor with a reverse manual PA Super Comp 4r70w Auto Trans w/ a Brake. Lets just say there I was in my 50's doing community service for months on end trying to get out of (8) tickets (4 were misdemeanors) for simply leaving a traffic light a little too heavy, LOL .....

I love BIG Power on the street, you just cant have to much :D
Amazing Cobra, CONGRATS :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Amazing Build, Amazing Cobra, Amazing Job :headbang:

You can get in a lot of trouble with that power, I had a 03 Terminator with 717 /640 Rear Wheel and it was totally insane. 2.8H KB on a built motor with a reverse manual PA Super Comp 4r70w Auto Trans w/ a Brake. Lets just say there I was in my 50's doing community service for months on end trying to get out of (8) tickets (4 were misdemeanors) for simply leaving a traffic light a little too heavy, LOL .....

I love BIG Power on the street, you just cant have to much :D
Amazing Cobra, CONGRATS :thumbsup:

Thanks man! I agree big power is tons of fun but easy to get in trouble with. I typically drive very conservative so hopefully I don't find myself in trouble after leaving a traffic light lol. I'd love to ride in a big blower car just to see how it compares, bet that thing ripped!

Thanks again for the kind words.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Since your not too far up the road maybe in like 20 years when I get my beast finished we will have to get together to turn and burn em!!! Lol

You gonna come to Louisville for any of the autox events this year??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Since your not too far up the road maybe in like 20 years when I get my beast finished we will have to get together to turn and burn em!!! Lol

You gonna come to Louisville for any of the autox events this year??

For sure we will have to grab a beer and cruise our cars sometime, be sweet having a couple black boosted sn95's on IRSs lol. My brother actually works in and around Louisville so I have plenty of reason to head there from time to time. I am not to familiar with car event dates around Louisville, do you guys have anything like street car takeover or similar? If you're bored and don't mind the drive the street car takeover here in Indianapolis is like May 5-6, if the weather is nice it'll be a good time.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For sure we will have to grab a beer and cruise our cars sometime, be sweet having a couple black boosted sn95's on IRSs lol. My brother actually works in and around Louisville so I have plenty of reason to head there from time to time. I am not to familiar with car event dates around Louisville, do you guys have anything like street car takeover or similar? If you're bored and don't mind the drive the street car takeover here in Indianapolis is like May 5-6, if the weather is nice it'll be a good time.

I'm not familiar with street car takeover. What exactly is it??

They usually run 2-3......maybe more autoc events here. They run em at the ups parking lot off of Grade Lane and out at the fairgrounds. They did a big street legal battle here several years back but I'm not sure if they do it anymore. I haven't kept up with too much since I tore my car apart.

I'm always down for turnin and burnin!!! Just gotta get my ride back together first!!! Lol

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Can't believe I have owned my exports for two years now and have yet to wire them up lol... I have started to get a game plan together to do this though and my plan is to just use the factory 4 pin plug and just add a single one pin connector to both tail lights. Anyone else that has wired in exports care to share their method?

Here is my schematic I will try to follow. Only thing still up in the air is whether I want to make all three tail lights function as brake lights or leave just the standard two outer bulbs as brake lights.

Going over it in my head and reviewing some of the writeups online I think it'll take only two wires being modified to work, the brake/turn signal wire to the factory tail lights and the third brake light wiring. My plan is as follows:

(1) Tap into the signal wire for the third brake light and run a lead to both tail lights
(2) Cut the factory turn signal/brake light wire for each tail light on the car body side of the harness.
(3) Connect the third brake light signal lead from step 1 to the newly cut turn signal/brake light wire so that the third brake light signal wire now goes into the tail light plug
(4) Run the factory turn signal/brake light lead that use to go to the factory 4 pin connector to it's own single pin connector. This wire will signal the amber turn signal bulb in the export light.
(5) Add in an extra bulb for the amber turn signal and connect its ground lead to the other tail light bulbs ground leads. Run the signal lead out to the newly added single pin connector.
(6) To make the amber turn signal bulb only operate for the turn signal indicator and not for the brake lights you need to cut the signal wire under the dash. From what I have read there are two red wires with green stripes, one for the main brake lights and the other for the center brake light. You want to cut the one for the main brake lights since you won't need this brake light feed anymore, since the light will now only act as a turn signal
(7) Last will be replacing the flasher unit with one for LED bulbs so to slow down the flash speed.

Here is a good reference writeup that I used. http://www.fordvschevy.com/mods/mustang_eurostyle_taillight.html I will be adding pictures and more details in the coming weeks when I complete the install.

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
I was able to take advantage of the ridiculously warm weekend to get my export mirrors painted. They still need another round of buffing but turned out pretty well, still makes me want any color but black so they wouldn't blend so much lol. Here's what they looked like when I started.

They were a little scuffed here and there but overall in good shape with exceptional glass. So first step was dissassembly. First in this process is removing the glass, I have read online about simply yanking on the glass until it pops out but the design uses plastic hooks to retain to the motor assembly and this plastic is now 20 years old and inherently brittle so I took the approach of using two small flat tip screwdrivers to pry the hooks off the motor on one side then the glass pops out with ease.

After that you can remove 6 torx screws, three that hold the motor to the outer portion of the mirror (part that swivels) and three that hold the swivel portion to the base. Now you can either disassemble the wiring from the plug so you can completely remove the motor from the base or do as I did and just tape up the motor to protect it from paint.

After a good wash I hit them with 300, 400, 600 grit sandpaper and then degreased. I then sprayed the bases and outer mirror with gloss black. I then sprayed the bases with flat clear coat and the outer mirrors with a gloss clear coat.

Time for reassembly.

And the finished product.

Here is the before and after, not the most dramatic change but the entire car really needs a good wash and the mirrors need to be wet sanded and buffed again. Should look better out in the light of day as well lol.

Next project is wiring up the tail lights, oil pressure gauge and taking out the rear axles for maintenance....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sn951992

Members online