Inner tie rod replacement?

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
I just took my car for inspection and the dude told me $100 for the replacement of the passenger side inner tie rod. I told him I'd rather do it myself.

So I got the piece from the parts store and I have to get this done within 10 days.

What's involved in doing this? I know I have to remove the outer tie rod and the boot, but I dont know how the rest works. I've never seen inside that boot before in my life.

In the box I have the unit itself and then there's 3 little pins. They look like plugs but they have little things coming off them. I can't explain it at all, but I have no idea what they're for or how to use them.

Any info or suggestions?

thanks

Ender

Reaction score
Inner tie rods aren't too hard. First remove the outers and the boots. turn the steering wheel to the side you want to work on to expose the base of the tie rod and part of the steering rack. You will need two crescent wrenches, use one to hold the steering rack, and the other to remove the tie rod. Make sure the rack does not twist, or you will damage it. Installation is the reverse, again be sure you don't twist the rack when tightening the tie rod. Pack some grease around the joint at the base, put the boots and outers back on, do the other side, and go get aligned. The whole job shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so.

DSC01565mod.jpg

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Yea, I just went ahead and did it by eye. It was extremely easy. But I didnt support the steering rack with anything so I hope nothing got messed up.

I'm getting an alignment on tuesday. It's REAL bad now ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online