Installed my granatelli k member today. But i have a problem. (Update 7-21

Black Ice

Reaction score
Ok i installed my granatelli k member today and now my oil filter will not go on because it is hitting the k member. Anybody here have a granateli k member and know if i am doing something wrong? I know sxynerd has the same one i got. It only goes up one way and everything is lined up I called up granatelli and they said they have never heard of this happening before and they said they would take it back and put it on the jig to make sure everything is fine and send me another but i don't want to do that and feel dumb if i am missing something. Any suggestions? Thanks,Joe

mustang029.jpg

mustang030-1.jpg

mustang031-1.jpg

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score
Re: Installed my granatelli k member today. But i have a problem sxynerd get in here

adding pics give me 1 min

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Re: Installed my granatelli k member today. But i have a problem sxynerd get in here

Lol, go granatelli. How many holes to they have for motor mounts on the K-member?

You might just have to bite a bullet and get an oil filter relocation kit. I hear MM sells one.

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

ReplicaR said:
Lol, go granatelli. How many holes to they have for motor mounts on the K-member?

You might just have to bite a bullet and get an oil filter relocation kit. I hear MM sells one.
There are two holes one slotted and one square as seen in above pics i have it in the slotted one don't know what the square one is for but if i put it in the square one it will move the motor back towards the firewall.

ReplicaR

Reaction score

Ok, from where I'm sitting, it looks like you will have no choice but to get a filter relocation kit. If there is no way to move the engine forward, then you have no other choice. MM sells a relocation kit, that's not too expensive

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=62_177

It was originally designed for a 4 valve or an auto 2v.

Maximum Motorsports K-Member install said:
Modular Engine Oil Filter Relocation 4V Cobra engines and ?96-?98 GT cars with automatic transmissions are typically equipped with a large oil cooler under the oil filter. Occasionally cars outside this category will have an oil cooler as well. Cars with an oil cooler require installation of an oil filter relocation kit (MMOC-3 or MMOC-4). Relocation of the oil filter provides required clearance for the MM K-member.

Pennywise2

Reaction score

Your not the first person I seen that had fitment issues with the Granatelli k member.
Sounds like you will have to get the oil filter relocation kit to make it work properly.
I would have went with a different k member though.

Win

Legend
Reaction score

Yeah it looks like that is your only option man.

Pennywise2 said:
I would have went with a different k member though.

On another note it always seems you have a comment like this in every post you make. It's kinda like a slap in the face.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

are you using the right oil filter?

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

MustangChris said:
are you using the right oil filter?
yes. fl-820s motorcaft

NXcoupe

Reaction score

Get the shorter oil filter. There is a number, that of course I cant remember, that might just fit up in there. However, in my experience, and I feel granasmelly was bs'ing you, no kmember will work with the cobra oil cooler manifold on the block. Simply remove that and get a GT oil filter screw to go into the block and the filter will go right on. Or, go with the canton remote oil filter kit. It is all billet and works perfectly. It was the only one I could find that wouldn't leak when we put it together. I know most Kmember manufacturers have made slight changes to clear, but the granasmelly must not give two sh!ts as to whether their product fits or not, lol. The square holes are for the nub on your motor mount to sit in. You have a stud on one side and a square nub sticking out and that fits into that hole. Good luck with it, I know it's a pain.

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

NXcoupe said:
Get the shorter oil filter. There is a number, that of course I cant remember, that might just fit up in there. However, in my experience, and I feel granasmelly was bs'ing you, no kmember will work with the cobra oil cooler manifold on the block. Simply remove that and get a GT oil filter screw to go into the block and the filter will go right on. Or, go with the canton remote oil filter kit. It is all billet and works perfectly. It was the only one I could find that wouldn't leak when we put it together. I know most Kmember manufacturers have made slight changes to clear, but the granasmelly must not give two sh!ts as to whether their product fits or not, lol. The square holes are for the nub on your motor mount to sit in. You have a stud on one side and a square nub sticking out and that fits into that hole. Good luck with it, I know it's a pain.
NX do you have a link to the 2 products you are describing? I am not to lazy to look for it but it may take me a week and a day and you know exactly what you are referring to. Thanks

NXcoupe

Reaction score

No, I don't. I would have to look for it to.

vtecftw

Reaction score

If Granatelli bothered to copy MM's instructions along with the K-member they would have seen this:

Modular Engine Oil Filter Relocation
4V Cobra engines and ?96-?98 GT cars with automatic
transmissions are typically equipped with a large oil
cooler under the oil filter. Occasionally cars outside this
category will have an oil cooler as well. Cars with an
oil cooler require installation of an oil filter relocation
kit (MMOC-3 or MMOC-4). Relocation of the oil filter
provides required clearance for the MM K-member.

If you're gonna go through the trouble, might as well get an oil relocation kit so you can use the larger FL1A filter

orodi

Reaction score

I would go with the relocator I can't for the life of me remember the smaller filter number either and I just bought on like a week ago for a customers car.

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

On 3 Performance said:
I would go with the relocator I can't for the life of me remember the smaller filter number either and I just bought on like a week ago for a customers car.
Well if you remember the filter number can you please give it to me? Thanks

vtecftw

Reaction score

ReplicaR

Reaction score

From what I'm seeing I don't even think the short filter is going to work. It seems like the K-member is directly in the way of where the filter is supposed to sit. You can get one to test fit, and hopefully that would work out, but I would highly recommend a relocation kit. You don't really want the filter to be touching anything or resting on a K-member. The wall is fairly thin, so if you puncture it, you will lose the oil pretty fairly quickly.

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

Well i thank all of you for the feedback on this and i been on the phone with granatelli over the past few days and i also emailed them these same pics and they are in the owners hands now but even the guy Jack that i have been dealing with said that no oil filter will fit in this spot and it is way to close so they are reviewing the pics and gonna make sure to see what the problem is. They have been great so far and even said they will ship me out a free oil relocation kit but they want to make sure it is not the k member or itself. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

vtecftw said:
Walmart Supertech ST2
The clearance on my K-member with the factory oil cooler was horrible, not sure how you can fit ANY oil filter without lifting the engine (and it looks like it'll still hit once you lower it). Hopefully it works.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/136679-what-is-the-short-oil-filter/page2
Thanks for the link i will try it just to see if it works.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Supposedly the motor mounts are worn out, and the motor sags and therefore lacks clearance. Just something I've seen browsing. I claim ignorance otherwise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fl510

Members online