Installed my granatelli k member today. But i have a problem. (Update 7-21

vtecftw

Reaction score
Re: Installed my granatelli k member today. But i have a problem sxynerd get in here

With the oil cooler adapter under the filter, it's gonna be problem either way. I installed mine with brand new urethane mounts.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: Installed my granatelli k member today. But i have a problem sxynerd get in here

Steven said:
Supposedly the motor mounts are worn out, and the motor sags and therefore lacks clearance.

+1 for what ive seen read ..

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

How much clearance will it give with the urethane mounts?

NXcoupe

Reaction score

Man, we had one that we spaced up the motor mounts with washers. Do that first to see if it will even clearn with thicker mounts, then get some urethanes and make some steel shims cut in squares with two holes in them, one for the stud and the other for the square piece. It worked well and cleared with that short filter, it's coming back to me now, been a long while since I messed with one.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I Figured out a fix to this a Few Years Back.

http://sn95forums.com/index.php/topic,20315.0.html

The filter for a 80's Honda Accord will Fit 4.6 Ford Engines. The threading is the exact same as the FL-820S, Just shorter.

People have actually told me that they have used my Honda filter Idea on Cars with Aftermarket K-Member clearance and it solved their problem.

SRT Handz said:
This Thread is In Response To "Oil Filter Hitting K-Member..... Need Solution or Fix"

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=20285.0

Problem

So, for some reason (Motor Mount I Believe) my oil filter has always been VERY close to my k-member. When it comes On & Off during an oil change it actually rubs on the K-Member. Over time it has gotten even closer and has giving me trouble getting on and off. the oil filter actually cracked and was leaking oil due to me having to hammer the filter and bend it to fit.

Solution

I plan on doing an oil filter relocation new month but i need something to use till i get all my parts in.

After extensive research i discovered that the Mobil-1 & K&N oil filters are shorter than the FL-820s.... But not buy much. Even more searching gave me an answer. Ford makes a oil filter called the FL-757. This is a Motorcraft Part oil Filter for a early 80's Honda Accord/Prelude 1.6 liter. The Filter is 1 inch shorter than the FL-820s and has the same diameter and threading. I called EVERY Ford dealership in Southern California and NOBODY carries the filter. The part would have to be ordered from Dearborn.

I took a little drive down to The Parts store and Got the Purolater filter thats equivalent to the FL-757. I also purchased to Mobil-1 filter just to see if it would work.

The Pic Below Shows the Comparison of the Short FL-757 to the Mobil-1 and the FL820s

OilFilters.jpg

After getting home and trying the Mobil-1 there was still a clearance issue and it was rubbing while i was spinning the filter on. I then tried the FL-757 (Honda Filter) and it fit PERFECT!!!! It didnt touch anything while going on and have plenty of room around the filter. Works Great!!!

I hope this Helps anyone that has the same issue, or is tired of dealing with the BS clearance of the OEM filter

Pic Below is The Honda Filter Installed..... You can see where the FL-820s Rubs on the K-Member

ShortOilFilter.jpg

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Just for the record, I think the accord filter might be shorter than that wal-mart filter....I just measure the FL-757 Filter.

vtecftw

Reaction score

summit racing filter relocation $40.95
i had to spend another $10 to mix and match angled brass fittings from mcmaster though

mm-k-member-oil-filter-relocation1.jpg

mm-k-member-oil-filter-relocation2.jpg

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. Nice find Handz!

NXcoupe

Reaction score

vtecftw said:
summit racing filter relocation $40.95
i had to spend another $10 to mix and match angled brass fittings from mcmaster though

mm-k-member-oil-filter-relocation1.jpg

mm-k-member-oil-filter-relocation2.jpg
We used one of those, UPR sent it to me as a fix for their old Kmember, but it leaked and was a warranty nightmare for me. So we used the Canton billet set up and man, no issues at all ever again. The guy was really happy with it too, but I ended up eating 100's in labor and parts before it was all over with.
I like handz fix for it, very good idea and now bookmarked for me.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I did ALOT of research on that Oil filter thing a few years ago. Its Legit and Motorcraft actually makes a the Accord Filter. So say you have a tube K-member and want to run a "Stock" oil filter, you can do that :)

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score
Re: Installed my granatelli k member today. But i have a problem. (Update 7-5

Well i went to Walmart today and picked up the ST2 filter got home and tried to put in on and still no luck but it is to the point where it is very close to going on. The filter made it to the threads but it wants to go on at an angle. :dontknow:

NXcoupe

Reaction score

Lift up the engine, screw on the filter, let the engine down, we had to do that a couple times too before we made the spacers I mentioned above^. Believe it or not, I do know what i am talking about, lol.

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

NXcoupe said:
Lift up the engine, screw on the filter, let the engine down, we had to do that a couple times too before we made the spacers I mentioned above^. Believe it or not, I do know what i am talking about, lol.
Lol.. I will do that in some time but right now i am limited to what i do as i had surgery 2 weeks ago on my finger and i have pins sticking out of it, or until my brother gets some time to stop by to give a hand. Thanks

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Why not try the L21091 Purolator like i stated before?

NXcoupe

Reaction score

SRT Handz said:
I thought that was the filter he used??? Guess not?

OP
OP
B

Black Ice

Reaction score

SRT Handz said:
Didn't you say it had to be ordered? So i took a trip to the closest walmart to get the filter to at least try it out. And do you know if that purolator filter is any shorter then the st2? And it being a holiday weekend i could not order it unless i am missing something and you can get it at the parts store. Pleease let me know. Thanks

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Just go to the parts store and buy the purolator and try. I listed part numbers for both the motorcraft and purolator filters.

vtecftw

Reaction score

just bring the already bought ST2 and compare...

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

vtecftw said:
just bring the already bought ST2 and compare...

Yes, Please do this.... Take a comparison picture like I did.... This will REALLY help everyone out.

Granatelli

Reaction score

This is J.R Granatelli. Sorry to see you had an issue. We do state in the instructions that 4v engine require an oil filter relocation kit. Jack told me you had a 2v and I was not sure why you were having trouble. However I ask Jack to pass you over to the Tech department. Jack is not in tech. IN anycase I see he tried his best. The Mod Motor k-member instructions do say to install an oil filter relocation kit. I see others here have already jumped in to expalin that - to them I thank you as well.

TO the MM player wanna-bees :headbang: It is never a dull moment. We all know who was selling the k-members years before MM was in business - please after all this time give it a rest.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4985/ - $41.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-10695/ - $48.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1127/ - $51.00

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4986/?rtype=10 - Allows for dual filters - $51.00.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online