intake manifold ??

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
I know this topic is beat to death and I've read a ton on it. But I need to replace my intake manifold. Obviously this gives me the chance to do the pi vs npi. But I'm on a tight budget. I just want the car up and running good so I can enjoy driving it as I haven't had it tht long and only put 100 or so miles on it.
my question is can I just or will a pi intake manifold be a simple swap? I've read a ton and some info confuses me I guess. I know you can do cams and heads for the whole set up but i dont have money for that right now. It seems some stuff I read says all I need is the pi intake and an alternator bracket and gaskets, and some I read says I need pi heads also.

thanks for the help guys

wmfateam

Reaction score
Modular head shop has a nice write up on the manifold swap. They also sell a kit with needed shenanigans. Blue oval chips also self a nice kit.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I swapped the manifold and cams, but did not swap heads (yet)

Here is a list of what you will need....

-PI intake (recommend getting Ford Racing not dorman)
-PI intake manifold gaskets
-Coolant tube for a PI equipped vehicle (located in the valley of the engine)
-Nipple for the coolant tube for a PI equipped vehicle (to connect to your water pump)
-RTV (i used copper) sealant to properly seal the coolant crossover tube attached to the intake manifold (Ports dont completely match up on NPI heads to PI intake)
-Fuel injector O-rings (recommended to replace every time they are removed)
-Fuel line clips (these will break if you are anything like me)
-Thermostat Gasket
-Water pump Gasket

I didnt need to change the alternator bracket, but on some i hear that you do need to. If I missed something, im sure someone can chime in...I cant remember what else except new coolant.

American muscle has most of the parts, or you can check salvage yards etc...

There are some great write ups on this forum, and out there on the web if you search for them.

GOOD LUCK

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need PI heads to put a PI manifold on. If going the PI route you should be spending anywhere from $100-200 more than just staying NPI. Hope that puts it in perspective for you.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Burninriverdiver is fresh with the swap and can provide good info.

Ferocious nailed the costs and can provide excellent info as well.

Just keep posting your progress and we all will coach you

OP
OP
J

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
I think I might just get all the stuff for the pi intake and have a shop do it. I know thtll be costly but as much as I'm sure I could do it I can't guarantee I'll do it correctly 100%. I want to enjoy driving the car when it gets nice out since I've only put about 200 miles on it since I got it before winter. Gonna look into everything this week and see

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
If you decide to do the swap, there are some great guys here that guided me through all my troubles. It's not too bad with the right help and info. I did my manifold twice since it didn't seal properly the first time. Took an hour or two the second go around

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I actually had a shop do mine for the same reason. I didn't want to screw up sealing the coolant ports so I paid the extra money ($200-300) to have a shop do it. My second pi intake managed to crack but the one I have no is rock solid and doesn't leak a drop. When I had the shop do it, the car was a daily and I couldn't risk having it down for a long period of time. If I replace it again I'll do it myself.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I swapped the manifold and cams, but did not swap heads (yet)

Here is a list of what you will need....

-PI intake (recommend getting Ford Racing not dorman)
-PI intake manifold gaskets
-Coolant tube for a PI equipped vehicle (located in the valley of the engine)
-Nipple for the coolant tube for a PI equipped vehicle (to connect to your water pump)
-RTV (i used copper) sealant to properly seal the coolant crossover tube attached to the intake manifold (Ports dont completely match up on NPI heads to PI intake)
-Fuel injector O-rings (recommended to replace every time they are removed)
-Fuel line clips (these will break if you are anything like me)
-Thermostat Gasket
-Water pump Gasket

I didnt need to change the alternator bracket, but on some i hear that you do need to. If I missed something, im sure someone can chime in...I cant remember what else except new coolant.

American muscle has most of the parts, or you can check salvage yards etc...

There are some great write ups on this forum, and out there on the web if you search for them.

GOOD LUCK

I did this last year too. The only other thing I can think of is that you need to have the coolant cross over tube tapped for the drivers side coolant sensor. My NPI manifold had an aluminum cross over so I just unbolted it and put it on the PI manifold.

Good luck!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I did this last year too. The only other thing I can think of is that you need to have the coolant cross over tube tapped for the drivers side coolant sensor. My NPI manifold had an aluminum cross over so I just unbolted it and put it on the PI manifold.

Good luck!

Right... Forgot that one! I ended up going to 5 stores looking for the drill bit, ended up buying a new 1/2 inch drill, the bit and the 3/8 NPT tap. It was an investment but an excuse to get a better drill than my 3/8 junker.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Right... Forgot that one! I ended up going to 5 stores looking for the drill bit, ended up buying a new 1/2 inch drill, the bit and the 3/8 NPT tap. It was an investment but an excuse to get a better drill than my 3/8 junker.

Any excuse to buy new tools is a good one...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online