is it worth it to mod or improve a 1998 mustang gt 4.6L automatic ? if so what ?

myk

Reaction score
Is it worth it?

Here's my take on it: owning an SN95 is an act of genuine devotion and true love. After a few street races you'll find out that these things are slower than a lot of other cars and among Mustang fans, their styling is probably one of the least popular and sometimes ridiculed for their vague, rounded shapes.

But you know what? I personally couldn't care less. I've realized after 20 years that I will always love this style. I'm finally going to start 'modding mine and I'll roll in this car despite its shortcomings.

You mentioned handling? I just installed Koni STR.T shocks and SR (American Muscle) brand lowering springs in my '98. The handling is much better than stock and the stance is near perfect and the cost of these parts didn't break the bank; I'd say $700 or so for all of it.

What is your budget? That will dictate the reality of your designs. As it's been posted, peruse this message board and others to gain inspiration into what you want to do. The SN95 fanbase is a smaller one than most, but it's a strong and devoted one nonetheless. Welcome aboard...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I love that black carpet, giving me ideas for my interior since I have saddle too! And its the good saddle with two tone not like 97/98's all peanut butter.

Thanks man, it definitely feels like a nicer car when I open the door and don't see cigarette burns and whatever kind of syrup the previous owner spilled on the carpet. I'm starting to appreciate the two tone now too

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score
what i was meaning is if it was worth upgrading an automatic 1998 Gt because it being automatic(idk if that changes anything but most have manual) and i am not really into the racing scene(its my first car) it would just be like a project ha and i don't really have a budget right now it would be just adding things on as i gain funds right now im looking to purchase wheels, rims, rotors and brakes and maybe brake line then i would move on to interior then engine but that's a while away. the reason im doing it this way is the community where i go to school loves to buy honda civics (the small ones you would see in an anime) buy a huge muffler and a turbo or something then lower it to the ground(bend the tires toward the car) and drive that way and it sounds just horrible like a lawn mower and a dying transformer they go from like 0 to 15 and they sound so loud like a banshee and they look horrible the paints all coming off the car the interior looks really dirty. haha sorry for the rant i guess i just don't wanna be that guy i like the deep hums of a mustang not the screeching banshee of a "civic" but handling is the top of my list to. handling is like the cars reaction when you turn the wheel ? or am i completely off?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I swapped my automatic for a manual for just around $500 without labor included. Just a thought.

Don't leave it up to a forum full of dudes to tell you whether your ​car is worth modding.

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score
how did you do that ? and would the performance be a big difference if i where to mod a manual than an automatic? sorry i am new to this. i am going to change some things and the people in this thread have been helping me see what can actually be done to my car, i guess what i should be asking is are performance upgrades going to actually be worth it in an automatic or will there be little change? because so far i got a list of handling mods brake mods and interior ideas but nothing really for the motor other than i think it already has a pi intake which is really cool :)

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Since you are new to these cars I would recommend not touching the transmission until you get a better understanding of the car and what your goals are. Automatics are definitely worth upgrading, but if you're going to be getting a stall and a changing moddifying the valve body (JMOD) you are probably deep into the car and have a good idea of what you're doing. Going manual would be a much easier option in my opinion. Just get a nice clutch and nice short throw shifter and you'll enjoy the car much more. The performance from automatic to manual is honestly minimal. The difference is most in the seat and on a dyno. There is a bigger power loss through and auto drivetrain than a 5 speed. You'll feel more connected to the car driving stick and will probably enjoy it more. Then again, if you're serious about modding the auto, they can be built to outperform manuals and can shift like butter.

I would stick to mods that don't revolve around your drivetrain for now. Suspension and appearance is always a good start. Might as well make your car handle better and be more aesthetically appealing if you're not really sure of what you want to do with the car. Brakes are whatever, yiou don't really have to change them until you get some power in the car. As far as the PI swap, that's a good start for power. PI intake and cams will get you about 20-30 hp or you can go the whole 9 yards and get the PI heads too. Another thing to consider is changing the rear gears to a high ratio, 3.73 would be perfect if you are unsure whether to stay auto or go 5sp.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Mod it. Put your spin on it. Some guys will like it and some will be butt hurt but in the end it's your car. Do what you see fit.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
No not at all. It just seemed that wasn't your bag.

Handling for turns vs drag differs buy for an all around car both transmissions will suit you well

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
are drag racers frowned upon ?

Again, why does that matter?
Build your car how you want. Not based upon whether others approve or not.

Some people love drag racing and appreciate a built auto. Others like me find no entertainment in a car going in a straight line for 10-14 seconds.
It's all preference.

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! i think i will stick to your advice and wait till i know more about the car :) and how with the rear gears help me decide?

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score
sorry just used to the fourms where you get bashed on for anything, i dont drag race just like seeing nice clean looking cars

OP
OP
steam29

steam29

Reaction score
yea i can see that ha its nice i am used to saying one thing then being told a bunch of stuff about how stupid i was for not doing something else

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I shut bashing down! Moderators shut the bashing DOWN!

Now their is some lite poking fun, but never about degrading.

Such as, if you purchased some new $2000 wheels, but didnt have money for new tires and decided to use your old balding tires, we might poke a little fun! But never degrade!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
[MENTION=20479]steam29[/MENTION] my 98 gt started as an auto, completely stock and ok to drive but it wasn't very quick. I put stage 2 cams and a pi intake with a better throttle body/plenum. That was still with the auto and it made a big difference, the car was a blast to drive and the cams sounded great. Then my auto crapped out on me and I swapped in a 5 spd. I did 3.73's with it also and it was a completely different car. However, shortly after the swap I started driving it to and from work, with an upgraded clutch/pressure plate, I hated life when I sat in 2+ hours of stop and go traffic. I will more than likely be putting an auto back in mine just for the ease of driving in my area.
Either way it goes, the car is yours and the choice is yours as to whether or not it is worth modifying. I think you should sit down and weigh all your options and see what will fit you best. On another note, you have come to the best site for help and opinions. This is a great group of people on here and you will very much enjoy your stay here.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I actually like the two toned interior especially when you do the black carpet. I did black inserts on my seats and two toned leather shift and ebrake boots to tie it in more.

That must look really good! This will be another project for me hahah.

Thanks man, it definitely feels like a nicer car when I open the door and don't see cigarette burns and whatever kind of syrup the previous owner spilled on the carpet. I'm starting to appreciate the two tone now too

I bought mine with a semi-trashed carpet 10 years ago, I got most of it but not perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online