Is my intake manifold original?

garrittpwl

Reaction score
So I'm new to the mustang game.

I have just recently acquired a 96 gt with 109k on it. After some research I've read that these are prone to leaky intakes.

Somewhere (cant find where) I read that the stock Intake has a plastic crossover. My car has aluminum though the bolts don't look like they've ever been touched? Can anyone enlighten me?

20160525_181231_zps5gse5yiq.jpg

20160525_181239_zpsm2u6pfdm.jpg

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I had an aluminum crossover on my 96 before I swapped to a PI manifold. I could be wrong, but I believe some came from the factory with the aluminum crossover in the later production 96 year.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I had an aluminum crossover on my 96 before I swapped to a PI manifold. I could be wrong, but I believe some came from the factory with the aluminum crossover in the later production 96 year.

My production is Sept of 95 according to my VIN label.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your intake does have an aluminum crossover. That means youre ok and wont be prone to the notorious crossover crack. With a better pic I could tell if its npi or pi and possible dorman replacement. The plug wires are autozone special. ..lol...I can see they have been changed. And that oil cap doesnt look original. ....I could be wrong

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I remember being amazed to hear that the modulars had plastic parts on their intakes. Being all pushrods its something I never considered. Sure its great for heat soak there is just no way the longevity could match.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You most likely have a factory recall replacement intake. No 4.6 2V Mustang came from the factory with an aluminum crossover until like 2001 when all the failures were costing Ford money.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I remember being amazed to hear that the modulars had plastic parts on their intakes. Being all pushrods its something I never considered. Sure its great for heat soak there is just no way the longevity could match.

It worked out well for GM on LS cars.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Your intake does have an aluminum crossover. That means youre ok and wont be prone to the notorious crossover crack. With a better pic I could tell if its npi or pi and possible dorman replacement. The plug wires are autozone special. ..lol...I can see they have been changed. And that oil cap doesnt look original. ....I could be wrong

With the little amount of work done to this car before I got it, I doubt it has a PI swap. As for the plug wires and oil cap, neither of those are original which i'm okay with.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It worked out well for GM on LS cars.
LOL for how long? I am all about saving money and making things lighter but motor parts need to be able to last as well and I think we can all agree the aluminum pieces are all still stong. I have also been curious how much boost they can handle?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the Camaro suffers from Intake failure like the 4.6 2V does. I've never heard my friends complain and one of the best aftermarket LS Intakes from FAST is also composite.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Alright Admin and Moderators, you're getting a wee bit outta the topic :p

Thomas_W

Reaction score
LOL for how long? I am all about saving money and making things lighter but motor parts need to be able to last as well and I think we can all agree the aluminum pieces are all still stong. I have also been curious how much boost they can handle?

I knew of one that handled 25 psi for 3 years. But when he upped it to 35, it lasted one weekend at the track.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If I were to spend coin on a new intake and was keeping the car for a length of time, id purchase all aluminum.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Take a picture from the top of the intake to the right of the plenum. I can tell you by looking there which intake you have whether it be OE NPI, PI or Dorman.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I could have sworn all NPI intakes had the metal crossover, Ford went to plastic in 99/00 trying to save money or whatever and then had to go back to metal because of all the failures. But maybe not. I know every NPI intake I've ever seen had an aluminum crossover.

Fun fact, even the metal crossover intakes will fail over time. They warp and crack right under the tstat housing where the plastic is very thin, they ALL do it.

The plastic intakes are actually really good when new, do not heat soak hardly at all and are cheap. They can hold a decent amount of boost but nitrous... eh...

Problem with replacing with aluminum is the Pro Products intake has casting flash/port alignment QC issues and heat soaks like a mofo and the Edelbrock is $$$$$$ and not great for a NA 2V.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Never hear about old pushrod all aluminum intake failures. Nor do any of the 4v modulars have failures. Heck....even all the pre95 vic and lincolns keep chugging with its stock setup. The plastis is a great idea. Wonderful for performance, ....but plastics do not like life. The heatsoak is gonna be a major life problem for those clutching to the benefits, but if you ask me what ill use....all aluminum! Plastics just cant handle the life demands. Unless your ok with replacing its life cycle.

On a history note. All factory npi plastic intakes came plastic crossover all the way to the end with the 2002vics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.