Issue programming new remotes

akaNYr

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have an '02 Mustang V6 I bought new remotes for. I cycled the ignition to put the car in the program remote mode. The lock rods went up and down on the 8th cycle of the ignition but I forgot to stop at that point. I messed up again on the second try. On the third try I did stop the key in the RUN position but the lock rods didn't go up and down indicating I was in programming mode for the remotes. I tried disconnecting the cables overnight and disconnecting the cables and hitting them together. I also tried holding the window button down while cycling the key eight times. Nothing worked. Does anybody know what I have to do to get the car into remote program mode again? I'm thinking of unplugging the theft module in the trunk but someone said that may put the car into theft mode and I won't be able to start the car. The '02 is my only ride now. My '95 Mustang GT 5.0 was stolen in June and never found. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
WOW
I didnt know remotes could be programed. Needless to say I am of no help, but im definitely tuned into watching this thread. Someone here should know something. We got alot of knowledge hanging around here, so just hang tight. Someone will chime in.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have never programmed the remotes but I thought it depended on what system you have as far as is in the box in the trunk, or the stock/aftermarket code alarm that dealerships installed on site? The sequence you are describing is for the old code alarms. If you got the locks to cycle on the 8th time then it sounds like that is the system you have and just by trying to enter the programming sequence so many times you might have got it confused. If you can get the locks to cycle after the 8th time and then push the lock button if you have the right remote then it should lock and program IIRC. Otherwise you might not have the right remote.

The stock systems with the box in the trunk I thought there were two wires you jumped to enter programming but I never did it so I am not sure on that.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The procedure to reprogram the remotes is in the owners manual. You can program up to 4

Edit. This is 99-04

1699291891564.png

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok so as I said there are two different systems that could be in the car. Open the trunk pull the drivers side cover off and see if the big plastic box is mounted behind the wheel well. If you have the box there, then you need to do the sequence cobrajeff showed. If you look there and there is no box(which I suspect since you said the locks did cycle one time after the on/off sequence) then there is a good chance that the dealership installed a slightly different system up under the dash.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
the way i did mine was to cycle key 8 times on off no time limit
with doors closed everything off
pull key
then with transmitter lock unlock doors should work.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I believe all 99+ use the cycle the ignition 8 times sequence. The older style remote keyless entry used the box in the truck.

OP
OP
akaNYr

akaNYr

Reaction score
The procedure to reprogram the remotes is in the owners manual. You can program up to 4

Edit. This is 99-04

View attachment 29839
Thanks for the instructions. That's exactly what I did but forgot to stop on the 8th cycle on the first 2 times doing it. The 3rd attempt I stopped in the ON position while cycling BUT THE LOCKS DID NOT LOCK AND UNLOCK. Now I can't get the locks rods to go up and down again. I'm trying to clear that and get it back into reprogramming mode.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought you said that you had got the locks to cycle up/down after one of the times you tried to enter programming? Have you looked on the drivers side of the trunk for the box to see if it is there?

OP
OP
akaNYr

akaNYr

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I did this but forgot to stop on the 8th
ok so as I said there are two different systems that could be in the car. Open the trunk pull the drivers side cover off and see if the big plastic box is mounted behind the wheel well. If you have the box there, then you need to do the sequence cobrajeff showed. If you look there and there is no box(which I suspect since you said the locks did cycle one time after the on/off sequence) then there is a good chance that the dealership installed a slightly different system up under the dash.
I guess I have the theft mode that is mounted under the dash. Attached is what is in my rear driver's side of the trunk. What I thought was theft module was a fuel pump module!

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_225312053.jpg
    IMG_20231117_225312053.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231117_230043557_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231117_230043557_HDR.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
akaNYr

akaNYr

Reaction score
I thought you said that you had got the locks to cycle up/down after one of the times you tried to enter programming? Have you looked on the drivers side of the trunk for the box to see if it is there?
I got it to cycle up/down the first 2 times I tried to program the remotes, but forgot to STOP in the ON position the 8th cycling of the key.
Attached is what's in the rear driver's side of my trunk. Someone here said it may be installed under the dash. At this rate I'm guna get an afterarket.

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_225312053.jpg
    IMG_20231117_225312053.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231117_230043557_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231117_230043557_HDR.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 4

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok so you do not have the factory installed stock system. Are you sure that there is a keyless entry even installed or were you just assuming? These were add-on options back then so not every car has one. When the dealerships/aftermarket brands are installed they often hide them up under the dash or in the kick panels where it is easy to access the wiring. You will need to do some digging around in those locations for aftermarket wiring and follow it to the main module to find out the brand. After that we can figure out what remotes you need and how they program.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I got it to cycle up/down the first 2 times I tried to program the remotes, but forgot to STOP in the ON position the 8th cycling of the key.
Attached is what's in the rear driver's side of my trunk. Someone here said it may be installed under the dash. At this rate I'm guna get an afterarket.
Uh...hate to tell you, but that's the fuel pump module (as you found out), not a door lock module. I bet you found it on the left rear post above the tire in the trunk. I just programmed 3 of my remotes (due to one being bad) and the key is to sit in the car, cycle the ignition key (any of them) the requried 8 times quickly, being sure to stop on the 8th time. Once you do this, the door locks will cycle telling you you're ready to program the remote(s). Push any button on a remote and you'll hear the double locking sound, do another then another, up to four (during the same time). Don't program one then stop and do the sequence again. You just push a button on every remote during the initial key process. Easy peasy. If you don't cycle the key ON/OFF fast enough, the 8th stop won't make a sound. That's the clue you didn't do it correctly. I know, I did it. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
akaNYr

akaNYr

Reaction score
Uh...hate to tell you, but that's the fuel pump module (as you found out), not a door lock module. I bet you found it on the left rear post above the tire in the trunk. I just programmed 3 of my remotes (due to one being bad) and the key is to sit in the car, cycle the ignition key (any of them) the requried 8 times quickly, being sure to stop on the 8th time. Once you do this, the door locks will cycle telling you you're ready to program the remote(s). Push any button on a remote and you'll hear the double locking sound, do another then another, up to four (during the same time). Don't program one then stop and do the sequence again. You just push a button on every remote during the initial key process. Easy peasy. If you don't cycle the key ON/OFF fast enough, the 8th stop won't make a sound. That's the clue you didn't do it correctly. I know, I did it. :rolleyes:
I did try programming the remotes just the same way you (and a few others) wrote. The lock rods went up & down on the 8th on/off cycle of the key BUT i forgot to stop it there in the ON position. I did the same mistake again the 2nd attempt. The third attempt I finally stop in the ON position the 8th cycle but the lock rods didn't go up/down. It won't go into program mode since then. I need advise on how to clear the computer of those I messed up so it goes into program mode again.

OP
OP
akaNYr

akaNYr

Reaction score
ok so you do not have the factory installed stock system. Are you sure that there is a keyless entry even installed or were you just assuming? These were add-on options back then so not every car has one. When the dealerships/aftermarket brands are installed they often hide them up under the dash or in the kick panels where it is easy to access the wiring. You will need to do some digging around in those locations for aftermarket wiring and follow it to the main module to find out the brand. After that we can figure out what remotes you need and how they program.
The guy I bought it from said the remotes got lost and he never replaced them. I'll check around where you said. I'm in Washington State, it's rainy season til May here. The temperature has been low 40° to mid 30° so it'll be a minute til I work on the car again. Thanks for the offer to help.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can try unplugging the module and then plugging it back in but as far as I know there isn't anyway it is designed to lock itself up nor anyway to clear that err if there was one. Just for giggles now and because I can't remember, you did try turning the key on and shorting out the grey plug in trunk just to be sure right?

All I can say is go back in and do the sequence over and be sure to stop on the 8th time

OP
OP
akaNYr

akaNYr

Reaction score
I checked the box in the driver's side of trunk ... It's a 'fuel pump drivers module'. I won't be shorting out wires back there. There's pic above. Someone said dealerships use to put the theft modules under the dash or kick panel. I'll check those next.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online