‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
just confirmed its a 99 rear. I found the easy way. If the inner shafts fit into the hubs then its a 99 with 28 splines on both ends.

h1kAMEq.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
well beyond spec was the pinion preload to the extent that the flange could barely be turned by hand. pulling the carrier revealed that it was in fact an issue with installation. Lord only knows how this thing survived road course duty or maybe somebody just replaced a leaking seal and overtorqued that thing back down.

In any case, its definitely getting a full rebuild now. I picked up some steel today and will be fabbing a jig to mount this sucker in so I'm not wrestling a baby alligator on my work bench anymore.

Good news, though, is everything else is in great condition and the 4.10's are in fact a ford racing set.

ZFc9yTh.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I got tired of wrestling this baby alligator on my workbench so I made a cage for it.
I wanted a little more support for the rear when I clamp it into my vise and set the pinion preload. The back will be supported by some bolts threaded into that quarter inch plate.

exr1g5K.jpg

mqVChQt.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I might not even notch the front plate because when it comes to installing shims I'm gonna need a case spreader anyhow. This is more so for installing seals and setting up the pinion preload... and I just kinda wanted to make it.

Ordered the diff rebuild kit today so I might get this thing cleaned up and rebuilt next weekend.

f0h26Og.jpg

r2qUgRH.jpg

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Everything is powerwashed and the pumpkin is ready for the new guts. You can move it around by yourself but it has to all come apart like this.
Current order of business is rebuilding the diff and getting the subframe up to my standards. The factory spatter will be cleaned up, weak areas will be reinforced, and I'm considering having the whole thing media blasted then powdercoated.

Ec9rdPk.jpg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Excellent. I like the approach you’re taking with this build. This hits home for me as I’ve set things in motion to make the switch from a Mustang to a Nissan.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent. I like the approach you’re taking with this build. This hits home for me as I’ve set things in motion to make the switch from a Mustang to a Nissan.

No you won’t..............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Makoto when are you planning to buy a mustang? Do you have anything specific in mind or what?

TheStag

Reaction score
here is the last car i built from the ground up:
x4iUg7O.jpg

kps4l0l.jpg

uBsli9m.jpg

So, everything is getting replaced and upgraded. everything.

Here's the idea I've been mulling over for about a year, I guess. I thought long and hard about why I like the cars I do. Why any of us like what we do and it really comes down to two things.

1. the way it looks
2. how much it costs

You can make anything fast or handle well with enough money and time but you can't change the way it looks all that much. Me? I've always had a thing for the SN95. I love clean cars and to be honest I think its the cleanest best looking fox body variant. Then I came across this skirtless GT with a few bits shaved on some FR500's and was sold.

Then there's cost, you just can't beat the mustang bang for the buck. Decent power, parts are plentiful, and cost is relatively low. The only catch was the stick axle. I'm a big fan of Singer and guys like jack olsen. The philosophy is pretty simple. Take something ordinary and make it as good as you can get it without adding a lot of power. You can add lots of power to anything. I've driven four digit horsepower cars. Its terrifying. I know my limits and appetite. a car with around 300 hp that weighs around 3000lbs satisfies that... especially if it has the right gearing.

So, close ratio six speed transmission with 4.10 gears, trim as much weight as I can without sacrificing AC and bare essential interior amenities while making it look cool as hell and handle like a GT3 and I'm happy.

Oh and the joy of resurrecting a worn out thousand dollar mustang somebody is about to scrap because they've given up on it is something that really gets me going.
My boy is about to turn 6. He needs to learn life. This is part of that as well.

Ground up restoration, including bushings, a sweet IRS, gears, full exhaust, and maybe someday upgrade the engine to something a bit more substantial. Basically take all the best parts from the fox platform years and make the best thing I can with them. That's my rule I'm going with... so no coyote... but maybe an all aluminum 2 valve from an exploder?

Half my budget is suspension and brakes :D

A man after my own heart. I picked up my 2V SN95 for about $2K and am looking to essentially make something out of nothing with it. I bounce around DAILY with the ideas I have for it, but I do know that I want it to be road course and auto cross worthy.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Makoto when are you planning to buy a mustang? Do you have anything specific in mind or what?

Good question! I've got my eye on a couple that have been dropping in price on craigslist. I'll be ready to buy when my christmas bonus comes in :D

I'm looking for a 96-98 5spd v8 mustang with ABS in white, black, or maybe blue.
I'm planning on a full color change but if I start with white or black its just less work to go to gray.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh it ain't gonna stay white :D

The problem is the base coat. Doesn’t matter if you cover the white up with another color. The base cost used on the white cars let’s loose. So your paint will end up flaking and pealing anyways. Only way to avoid that is to take it back to bare metal, which defeats the purpose of getting that color, or just buy a different color car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
ALL of them? I would think a 20 year old paint job would show the signs by the time I got it if there was an issue.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ALL of them? I would think a 20 year old paint job would show the signs by the time I got it if there was an issue.

Only way you find one that looks good is if it’s been repainted. I haven’t seen one that age that hasn’t lost half it’s paint without being completely stripped and repainted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online