‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
what forum were ya on?

I won't do them the service of the mention but its a poor man's ford version of viperalley if you catch my drift.

i saw it coming a mile away so i rode that one all the way to the ground, the Aholes banned me for a few weeks without explanation and this time they banned me because they're so batshit crazy paranoid they thought i was a duplicant account. that part had me laughing like a mofo.

they were like elmer fud chasing bugs bunny but there was no rabbit. it is truly amazing how worked up people can get when the two braincells they have to rub together start getting traction. meanwhile, you had a few total sackriders just completely floored that i'd dare talk to a moderator like they were a normal human or something.

when i figured out why they banned me the first time i knew it would go down sorta like this but this exceeded my wildest expectations.

Tillerman77

Reaction score
I am glad that this site still gets the updates. I followed your story over there as well, but understand why you left.
Awesome work BTW!

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
update on engine:

even though my instructions were to build the engine from the parts i gave him unless he saw any issues with them he used the pistons that were kind of sketchy which ended up screwing up a cylinder requiring it be overbored .040. Instead of doing this and sourcing massive aftermarket pistons I decided to start over. I found a teksid block, ordered some stock pistons for it, and am asking him to just use that block with everything but the bad pistons and block.

i have every right to argue this guy should get me a working motor but sometimes you can be right and lose at the same time.

so, im another 900 or so into the engine rebuild (round 2) and hopefully this time it takes.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
update on engine:

even though my instructions were to build the engine from the parts i gave him unless he saw any issues with them he used the pistons that were kind of sketchy which ended up screwing up a cylinder requiring it be overbored .040. Instead of doing this and sourcing massive aftermarket pistons I decided to start over. I found a teksid block, ordered some stock pistons for it, and am asking him to just use that block with everything but the bad pistons and block.

i have every right to argue this guy should get me a working motor but sometimes you can be right and lose at the same time.

so, im another 900 or so into the engine rebuild (round 2) and hopefully this time it takes.
Give him hell

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
The attention to detail on this has been great. Glad you decided to come back and continue to update us with your progress.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
doors, fenders, and jambs cut in. air compressor died halfway through the job and home depot had this little guy in stock. dude, my craftsman was 20 years old and an absolute tank but loud as all hell. this thing... you can have a conversation right beside it. world of difference.
4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

so the filter apparatus works :)

8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
window channels cleaned up and POR15 used to prevent any rust from coming back. this will also protect the channel if glass needs to be cut out in the future (its a lot tougher than paint and the rust started from blades cutting the stock paint).
roof1.jpg roof2.jpg roof3.jpg roof4.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Man, that’s looking real good!

What’s the plan for masking when it comes time to spray the car? You’re going to hang the fenders and walk the whole car when you spray it, right?

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
yep, i'm planning on using 3m foam tape for the door jams. my main priority is making sure everything is lined up when i do the final paint job. the doors, fenders, hood situation sucks because you have to fiddle with it every time. so instead of worrying about that i'm going to get them where they should be and paint the whole body minus the bumpers.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Good copy.

If I can make a recommendation (that you probably already know), make sure to spray everything at the same time and if you have multiple gallons, get an empty container so you can mix the two gallons together. If you don’t, the colors might be slightly off from one to the other.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Good copy.

If I can make a recommendation (that you probably already know), make sure to spray everything at the same time and if you have multiple gallons, get an empty container so you can mix the two gallons together. If you don’t, the colors might be slightly off from one to the other.

yeah, that's why i did all the underside and cutting in stuff with this half gallon. when i get ready to shoot the rest of the car a full gallon should cover it with plenty to spare. the best part is since its a solid color getting it to match will be waaaaaaay easier than any metallic. that's the #1 reason why i went with this very simple color.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
yeah, that's why i did all the underside and cutting in stuff with this half gallon. when i get ready to shoot the rest of the car a full gallon should cover it with plenty to spare. the best part is since its a solid color getting it to match will be waaaaaaay easier than any metallic. that's the #1 reason why i went with this very simple color.
When I did my car (rio red is a solid color also), I ended up using 2 different gallons, they were purchased from the same place, sprayed with the same gun, in the same shop, and the paint was bought one week apart. They came out two different shades.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
When I did my car (rio red is a solid color also), I ended up using 2 different gallons, they were purchased from the same place, sprayed with the same gun, in the same shop, and the paint was bought one week apart. They came out two different shades.

the color is the main problem there. reds and yellows are very picky. part of why i picked this color is since it looks like shiny primer it should be very easy to match :D the basecoat can play a big role here as well so like say i shoot red over medium gray sealer. that may look different than over white sealer and that may look different than over that same red, ya know?

paint is tricky. thats part of why i went with such a simple non metallic single stage color.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The problem is that any color only needs to be half a shade off and when its right next to another that is similar its easy to see. I learned long ago when matching interior trim to take the cloth sample outside in natural light after finding what I thought was the perfect match one time to later see it was that half a shade off and looked like hell. I would mix them as well myself.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
I got a new set of vents to start over (i cut up the old ones too much) and finally got them looking exactly how i want them to be.
also, I'm told the engine will be ready for pickup this week.
vents2.jpg vents1.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online