It's been a long time coming...

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
That blows. Yeah I'd spray the cylinders down with a lot of wd40 .... let it sit for awhile.

Also pull the oil cooler off and see if there is water trapped in there ...
Not sure if you check the starter to see if it was good, but also pull the fuel pump fuse and try and crank it to knock it loose. Every 4v motor I have bought from a yard has had spun bearings and usually the cylinder heads are taken out by the material .... Idk why people ask so much for cobra motors when coyote motors aren't expensive (the rest of the swap will nickle and dime you lol)

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I’ll give it a whirl and see where it lands. What’s the worst that could happen at this point? Any recommendations on where to order replacement parts once it’s pulled?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I’ll give it a whirl and see where it lands. What’s the worst that could happen at this point? Any recommendations on where to order replacement parts once it’s pulled?
Give it a try if it dosen't look like it will work , I will keep looking for an engine on this side
If I do find one I'll let you know

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Lol I’d sell you mine but that would piss @lwarrior1016 off a little :D

I'm guessing you have a build thread about this somewhere. If you are serious send me a message. I am working night's at the moment and won't have time to mess with it again until Thursday at the earliest. But I plan on tackling some of the disassembling. Haven't decided which one I'm going to do first. Remove the interior or prep for pulling motor. I was thinking the interior work would keep me busy while waiting for parts and such for the motor if I end up rebuilding it myself.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Found a motor out of a mark viii with 88,000 miles for $500. Going to look at it tomorrow and see if it will turn over at least. What all needs to be swapped over? I know the cam's are different. What else? Is the crank a different crank?

BigBore96

Reaction score
The rods are the same as any other factory rod. If you're rebuilding it with any other piston than factory I'd use the boss rods at minimum. They're much stronger and cheap.

The crank in the mark 8 is a 6 bolt cast crank which is alright power wise. Itl hold like what 750ish similar to the boss rods. I dont recall the cast cranks full hp potential. But the moral is unless you're going for a ton of power it's a fine crank.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Also depending on the mark8 year I'd use your cobra heads. The earlier mark 8 b heads had a less smooth blend in the combustion chamber. I can try to find my old photos if you want.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I filed a claim with the bus company. They are denying the entire event.

Yeah, while the resulting flooding was technically caused by the bus, they really can’t be seen at fault. It’s like casually walking along a sidewalk, and a car drives over a puddle at such a speed that it soaks you, and destroys the very expensive cell phone you were carrying. It’s not the vehicles fault, but falls under “act of god” since it was ultimately nature, not vehicle. I don’t think “failure to control speed” could be considered a moving violation in either case. You’d have to prove that they knew, and maliciously did this on purpose, which is pretty impossible.

Something similar happened to my husband’s 2003 Dodge Neon. ...only the rain had stopped, almost all roads dry, truck he was following swerved left without signaling or even braking, suddenly revealing a deep puddle of water. With no ability to stop in time, or swerve like the truck did (traffic would not allow) he had no choice but to plow right through. Engine seized, and he had to be towed home.

Cause of the flood: the city covered up the drainage gutter with hay, to prevent developing debris from being swept in with the storm drain. While waiting for the tow truck, a police office blocked off the lane, and removed the blockage, and never was replaced since that event. Claim was made, even with police witness, yet, denied again and again. Apparently it’s no ones fault that they blocked a gutter from draining rainwater. Crazy?

Anyway, when rebuilding the engine, apparently the piston rods bent due to the pressure. Replacing them was all that was needed. Unfortunately, the car was recently paid off, and just taking off full coverage, so liability only. But dodge neon, so replacement engine was only $300. He swapped engines and rebuilt the seized one. Hopefully all you need is new pistons too, and no scaring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online