It's been a long time coming...

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
It is. I was on the car when I got it. I do a lot of cycling and I have a hitch rack that I can plug in and go to events.

I don't get to drive it much anymore, only 1000 miles since September...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

NEURON

Reaction score
Experienced that also, guns etc too. What I have found out is that in many cases that OP calls up and says they will give asking price or more and greed takes over.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Awesome. Beautiful Ride.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks

So new info today. The same car that I was going to buy was posted for sale again today by the new owner. For a additional $3000 over the original sale price. Couldn’t believe it.

Matthalas

Reaction score
Thanks

So new info today. The same car that I was going to buy was posted for sale again today by the new owner. For a additional $3000 over the original sale price. Couldn’t believe it.
Maybe a blessing in disguise that you didnt purchase it. Not because you didnt want to at the lower price of course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Stangely

Reaction score
Good luck on your new find. I can’t really say welcome to the site being a new member myself. I do appreciate whoever put this site together. I have learned a lot from reading other post.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Update -

I have been putting this post off for some time. Wasn't "in the mood" to talk about it for a while but I think it's time to move forward now.

August 12th, 2019
03:45 AM - I wake up to a alert on my phone warning of a flash flood warning for the county to the south of where I live. It was raining outside but not very hard at the time.

04:15 AM - I decide since I am already awake I will just head into work a little early. (normally leave at 04:40 AM) So I get my things together and head out to the garage. I had to take the Cobra to work on this day due to my wife needing my truck for various reasons while I was at work. Her car was at the dealer getting some work done so I had no choice.

04:30 AM - I depart my neighborhood and the roads were wet from raining and it was still raining but not excessively hard. I get about 2-3 blocks away and this changes really quickly. It's raining so hard I can no longer see beyond the hood of my car. I slow down and pull to the side of the road to access the situation and determine the best course of action.

04:35 AM - The rain begins to let up to what I would call a normal down pour and I continue to proceed towards my work. I get another block up and it picks up again. At this point I have had enough and stopped and decided I am pulling into the parking lot to my left and going to either wait out the storm or limp home and have my wife take me in the truck. As I wait to pull into the parking lot I see headlights coming towards me but cant really determine distance or speed due to rain. As I am waiting I look outside the drivers window and realize the road is beginning to flood. I am now sitting in 3-4 inches of water. Luckily for me the parking lot is elevated.

Back to the headlights coming towards me...Those headlights happened to be a County bus traveling about 40 MPH coming down the ramp of the viaduct and smashed into 2ish feet of standing water and carried a wave of water that topped my car. Instantly pushing water inside the car via window. Motor instantly shuts down. I begin to feel my car float. Once the water started to run down the windows I realize I am now being sucked into standing water thanks to the bus' wave of water. Water that I had no intended on driving towards. Once I stopped floating I ended up crawling out of the window and was in 2-3 feet of standing water. I pushed the car out of the water and called a tow truck.

09:15 AM - Tow truck finally comes to the rescue. Tow's me home and I have my wife and son help push the car into the garage. Jack it up and place on stands. Remove plugs and use a shop vac and a hose creation I made to get the water out of the heads. Ended up recovering about a half gallon of water per head. Once I got the water out I tried to turn the motor over and had no luck. Motor is locked up. Tried manually turning it over still no luck. Current status.... sitting with the hood off waiting to have the motor pulled whenever I get a few days off.

I let it sit for a couple of months mostly due to the fact I have not had time to deal with it but also because I was to angry to mess with it.

I filed a claim with the bus company. They are denying the entire event. It rained 9+inches in 3 hours that day. Haven't had any luck locating a replacement motor. Just hasn't been a fun couple months.

In the photos my car ended up where the tow truck was at whenever I stopped floating. Some extra photos of the entrance to my neighborhood also after the rain started really coming down. IMG-2243.JPG IMG-2247.JPG IMG-2248.JPG IMG-2250.JPG IMG-2251.JPG IMG-2253.JPG

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Update -

I have been putting this post off for some time. Wasn't "in the mood" to talk about it for a while but I think it's time to move forward now.

August 12th, 2019
03:45 AM - I wake up to a alert on my phone warning of a flash flood warning for the county to the south of where I live. It was raining outside but not very hard at the time.

04:15 AM - I decide since I am already awake I will just head into work a little early. (normally leave at 04:40 AM) So I get my things together and head out to the garage. I had to take the Cobra to work on this day due to my wife needing my truck for various reasons while I was at work. Her car was at the dealer getting some work done so I had no choice.

04:30 AM - I depart my neighborhood and the roads were wet from raining and it was still raining but not excessively hard. I get about 2-3 blocks away and this changes really quickly. It's raining so hard I can no longer see beyond the hood of my car. I slow down and pull to the side of the road to access the situation and determine the best course of action.

04:35 AM - The rain begins to let up to what I would call a normal down pour and I continue to proceed towards my work. I get another block up and it picks up again. At this point I have had enough and stopped and decided I am pulling into the parking lot to my left and going to either wait out the storm or limp home and have my wife take me in the truck. As I wait to pull into the parking lot I see headlights coming towards me but cant really determine distance or speed due to rain. As I am waiting I look outside the drivers window and realize the road is beginning to flood. I am now sitting in 3-4 inches of water. Luckily for me the parking lot is elevated.

Back to the headlights coming towards me...Those headlights happened to be a County bus traveling about 40 MPH coming down the ramp of the viaduct and smashed into 2ish feet of standing water and carried a wave of water that topped my car. Instantly pushing water inside the car via window. Motor instantly shuts down. I begin to feel my car float. Once the water started to run down the windows I realize I am now being sucked into standing water thanks to the bus' wave of water. Water that I had no intended on driving towards. Once I stopped floating I ended up crawling out of the window and was in 2-3 feet of standing water. I pushed the car out of the water and called a tow truck.

09:15 AM - Tow truck finally comes to the rescue. Tow's me home and I have my wife and son help push the car into the garage. Jack it up and place on stands. Remove plugs and use a shop vac and a hose creation I made to get the water out of the heads. Ended up recovering about a half gallon of water per head. Once I got the water out I tried to turn the motor over and had no luck. Motor is locked up. Tried manually turning it over still no luck. Current status.... sitting with the hood off waiting to have the motor pulled whenever I get a few days off.

I let it sit for a couple of months mostly due to the fact I have not had time to deal with it but also because I was to angry to mess with it.

I filed a claim with the bus company. They are denying the entire event. It rained 9+inches in 3 hours that day. Haven't had any luck locating a replacement motor. Just hasn't been a fun couple months.

In the photos my car ended up where the tow truck was at whenever I stopped floating. Some extra photos of the entrance to my neighborhood also after the rain started really coming down. View attachment 2266 View attachment 2267 View attachment 2268 View attachment 2269 View attachment 2270 View attachment 2271
Sorry to hear about that
If you give me an engine size and year
I will look out for one

Overboost

Reaction score
well, sad to say, car-part is listing this engine at about $3000 average, some lower, some up to $5k

better to do a tear down and rebuild and toss some good forged rods and pistons in there, and you will have a 0 mile quality build and not something from a salvage yard that is probably beat to shit.
is like buying a used vette engine.... you never know what your going to get...

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=FEACO&userSide=&userDate=1997&userDate2=1997&dbModel=27.25.1.1&userModel=Ford Mustang&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=14000000021505382&userPreference=price&userZip=48433&userLat=43.0742000&userLong=-83.8667000&userIntSelect=1741585&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=

Last edited:
OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
flooded or not, I would never let them put my cobra on a hook, flatbed or GTFO

I didn't have much of a choice at that point. It was a 4 1/2 hour wait for a tow truck at all and that was after calling at 05:00 AM. I was pissed and ready to go home at this point.

Sorry to hear about that
If you give me an engine size and year
I will look out for one

It is a 1997 4.6 4v Cobra

well, sad to say, car-part is listing this engine at about $3000 average, some lower, some up to $5k

better to do a tear down and rebuild and toss some good forged rods and pistons in there, and you will have a 0 mile quality build and not something from a salvage yard that is probably beat to shit.
is like buying a used vette engine.... you never know what your going to get...

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=FEACO&userSide=&userDate=1997&userDate2=1997&dbModel=27.25.1.1&userModel=Ford Mustang&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=14000000021505382&userPreference=price&userZip=48433&userLat=43.0742000&userLong=-83.8667000&userIntSelect=1741585&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=

Yeah like I said I haven't found anything to this point. Nothing worth buying anyways. I started researching the how-to's of rebuilding a 4v. I don't have any experience yet, I came from the 5.0 world. I keep hearing it is pricey.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I didn't have much of a choice at that point. It was a 4 1/2 hour wait for a tow truck at all and that was after calling at 05:00 AM. I was pissed and ready to go home at this point.

Yeah like I said I haven't found anything to this point. Nothing worth buying anyways. I started researching the how-to's of rebuilding a 4v. I don't have any experience yet, I came from the 5.0 world. I keep hearing it is pricey.
I am going to look for a complete engine a drop in swap that is in good shape I will keep in touch may take a little but we have lots of quality junk yards reasonable prices

Overboost

Reaction score

the main diff in the rebuild is the dual timing gears and cam timing, otherwise it is no big deal. just syncing your double gears to syncing your single cam. it is not rocket science. several good vids on how to do it. just takes patience, good manual, case of beer and you tube..

Overboost

Reaction score
I am the same way love the 5.0
the DOHC is pretty simple but parts are pricey
I had lots of fun with my 5.0, many good races, but its time for me to move on, sadly, my 87 GT was rolled in 06, this cobra is the first stang I have had since.
I have had vettes, grand nationals and everything in between. I have never liked anything as much as my mustangs. dont know why.
I have loved all my toy cars, but nothing takes the place of a good stang.. at least for me.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Price depends on parts used. A set of Boss rods and decent pistons will go far. And as mentioned, you'll have a fresh engine.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you try doing a full oil change and then letting oil sit in the cylinders for a few days?? I had a friend have something similar and after a few days we could slowly turn the motor by hand. We added a little more and let it sit a few more days and then it turned pretty smoothly. Threw the battery back in and fired it up.

Not saying it’s the best option and you know it won’t be 100% but it may be worth trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
No I haven't tried that. I read somewhere initially that putting some oil in the cylinders might help free it up (unlikely but possible). I just didn't see that working with the amount of water removed. I thought maybe it was just hydrolocked but it wouldn't budge.

I also thought and I am not 100% sure of this scenario even being a possibility but maybe taking the belt off incase a pump is seized up preventing the motor from turning over also. Worth trying before i pull the motor I suppose.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No I haven't tried that. I read somewhere initially that putting some oil in the cylinders might help free it up (unlikely but possible). I just didn't see that working with the amount of water removed. I thought maybe it was just hydrolocked but it wouldn't budge.

I also thought and I am not 100% sure of this scenario even being a possibility but maybe taking the belt off incase a pump is seized up preventing the motor from turning over also. Worth trying before i pull the motor I suppose.

Yeah pull the belt as well. It’s less likely that a pulley froze up but not entirely impossible. Some people have had luck using a bunch of wd40 in the cylinders but oil should find its way down if anything is going to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online