jack stands + grass = fail

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Jack stands don't always work.

When I worked at the Mack dealership, I was working on a fire truck. I had to put new spring saddles in on a recall. I had the fire truck on jack stands and the rear on jack stands.

Somebody backed into the fire truck I was working on and jarred it just enough to knock the jack stand holding up the rear over. Needless to say the rear shifted and the brake chamber was sitting on my chest. The only thing that stopped it from making me a grease spot was the drive shaft was still connected.

I only ended up with some severely bruised ribs, and some stitches in my head. This happened about a month after I was married.

96redgt

Reaction score
Yeah, no lie.... Talk about your close calls...

If I can remember it, I'll take a picture to show you guys next time I'm at my dad's house.... He had a jack stand that failed. It cracked straight down one of its welds and gave out. I don't remember what he said he had on it though. That's why I don't use jack stands. Hence the steel wheels and wood blocks.

El_Diablo

Reaction score
i wouldn't trust steel and wood either....... ideally, any time i lift a car it goes up on stands (that get checked each use) and the vehicles wheels go under the rocker panels

96redgt

Reaction score
As thick as these wood blocks are, it'd take alot to damage them. They are made of some really thick pieces (something like 4"x6"s, maybe bigger) out of our shipping crates that I screwed together. I made them wide enough so they won't tip over, and the car bites into the top of them, giving it a good solid grip (no movement back and forth or side to side). They've worked really well so far.

98mstanggt

Reaction score
Damn this thread make me never want to jack my car up again, When i jack up my car i use jack stands and the jack all together safety first.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
wow.. this is a pretty intense thread. i never get under a car that isn't supported with jack stands.. very stupid that some people do. even for a second.. sorry about everyones losses and stuff dang..

i have to change my oil soon. got me all nervous! haha

El_Diablo

Reaction score
96redgt said:
As thick as these wood blocks are, it'd take alot to damage them. They are made of some really thick pieces (something like 4"x6"s, maybe bigger) out of our shipping crates that I screwed together. I made them wide enough so they won't tip over, and the car bites into the top of them, giving it a good solid grip (no movement back and forth or side to side). They've worked really well so far.
screws sheer.....

96redgt

Reaction score
Welds crack......

Sorry, but after seeing a jack stand cracked straight down the seam weld (that had no damage before the incident), I will never use them again as long as I have the choice....

Screw everything else, buy a lift........ I would if I had the money.....

El_Diablo

Reaction score
thats why you have to check them!!! just like you should be checking your jack before every use!!!

even with a lift jack stands still have uses

2kblacksleeper

Reaction score
There is nothing that will be safe 100% of the time.

I have a friend that works at a very large Honda stealership, They have had 2 of the 4 new lifts fail and a car falls off of them.

All you can do is your best to make sure you are being as safe as you can and hope nothing fails.

John

Stus1171

Reaction score
I was working on my 99 GT and had it on jack stands and somehow one side slipped off. Thank God I wasn't under the car...it was a pita to get back up.

Slow98GT

Reaction score
...luckly for the most part if i'm working with jack and jackstands and i'm under the truck then i'm under a truck big enough that if it falls i may break an arm or something but the tires will stop it. then again we normaly use a 5ton crane and jackstands. and for my own car i use a lift which has the safty incase the lift gives out

Froush

Reaction score
lol, back home in michigan i lived in what you would call the sticks. needless to say we had a dirt driveway. dont work underneath a car supported by a jack in wet grass. lol. my dad had to get another jack and lift the car up while it was being supported by my chest. i was young and dumb and would never do that again. you live and learn i guess. lol

castine917

Reaction score
guy in local club was working on his car in his driveway. reports were that it was held up properly yet managed to fall on him. i don't know any more detail about him other than he passed away well before being found.

friend owns a shop were his son used the twin side post lift. truck was to far forward and tipped until the rear caught the ceiling. hair raising experience were no one was hurt luckily.

point is be as safe as you can and be prepared for the worst cause you never know what else could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online