jack stands + grass = fail

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Reaper said:
Yeah, no lie.... Talk about your close calls...

If I can remember it, I'll take a picture to show you guys next time I'm at my dad's house.... He had a jack stand that failed. It cracked straight down one of its welds and gave out. I don't remember what he said he had on it though. That's why I don't use jack stands. Hence the steel wheels and wood blocks.

Exactly why I use 15-ton jackstands on my 3200 lb mustang.

Overkill is better than being killed

metalman302

Reaction score
i wouldn't trust steel and wood either....... ideally, any time i lift a car it goes up on stands (that get checked each use) and the vehicles wheels go under the rocker panels

THIS

And if you must use jackstands on dirt, is it really that hard of a concept to put boards under the jackstands?

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I've got one.

I was 17 working on my '70 Cutlass. I had pulled the 455 Rocket out with a come along ... wait, it gets better... and had it suspended by a chain in the middle of the barn.
I was quickly moving some wires, headers, etc out of the way with the engine hanging above me (I know) .... Got up off the cross member and went to the other side of the shop to get some tools.
Well there were three terrible variables there. an ancient come along wench, an old chain, and a 100 year old barn - it was the chain that let go - and dropped the 700lbs engine right where i was sitting 5 minutes prior.
I was too young and dumb to know any better - however, my pops should have. lol. Oh well, lesson learned.

kb1982

Reaction score
I've got one.

I was 17 working on my '70 Cutlass. I had pulled the 455 Rocket out with a come along ... wait, it gets better... and had it suspended by a chain in the middle of the barn.
I was quickly moving some wires, headers, etc out of the way with the engine hanging above me (I know) .... Got up off the cross member and went to the other side of the shop to get some tools.
Well there were three terrible variables there. an ancient come along wench, an old chain, and a 100 year old barn - it was the chain that let go - and dropped the 700lbs engine right where i was sitting 5 minutes prior.
I was too young and dumb to know any better - however, my pops should have. lol. Oh well, lesson learned.

I used to use a big limb on a tree in my yard with a chain hoist to lift out engines when I was a teen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online