JB's Boostin into 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, it really is. Add up all your bolt ons over the years and you probably could have a vortech by the time you do all the bs bolt ons, gears, and tunes we all do.

There are ways to get boost cheap.... In all reality, even new blower kits are cheap for these cars. Newer mustang kits are like 8 grand. 10 grand for a BMW Vortec kit.

I agree with handz although I will say that a PD blower and a Centri blower are different animals in terms of heat production.

I would never do Meth as an intercooler replacement, JMO.

True on both sides.Different animals when it comes to heat..... but both need cooler. I still prefer PD blowers for the quite sound level and instant boost.

on a personal opinion, im not a fan of the self contained unit.

1. stale oil
2. non-filtered

pro is:
no feed/return lines.

you will be happy none the less.

All if not most of the OEM manufactures (Ford, MB, GM) all use self contained units with 100,000 miles service intervals..... Pretty firm reliability ;)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Self contained unites are great, they don't have "stale oil' because it's a totally enclosed system, the oil doesn't get tainted like it does in an engine; thus not needing a filter. and meth actually has benefits over intercoolers, a lot comes down to personal preference.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
The only reason I prefer a tapped unit is because every blower ive had has leaked a bit of oil from the front seal and id rather have an unlimited supply than 6 oz.

The instant boost of a PD is great and with a manual car, I prefer it but with my stalled auto, it makes no difference since I fly into the 4500-5000 rpm range anyway.

As far as being quiet, I dont know what blowers you have been listening to buy my v2 si is so quiet you cant even tell its there unless I tell you

My procharger SCREAMED, but this vortech is damn near silent.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Self contained unites are great, they don't have "stale oil' because it's a totally enclosed system, the oil doesn't get tainted like it does in an engine; thus not needing a filter. and meth actually has benefits over intercoolers, a lot comes down to personal preference.

Yea, it also has this one negative called spending 6k on a new motor when it fails and your motor blows from going lean and running too much timing with no meth. lol

You are correct, its all preference, I just dont feel save with Meth and dont want to refill it every time I drive the car.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Justin from what I've gathered if the tune is done right you will not blow a motor if the meth fails or runs dry. also you don't have to refill it every time you drive the car because you can set it up to only spray when you want it.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Justin from what I've gathered if the tune is done right you will not blow a motor if the meth fails or runs dry. also you don't have to refill it every time you drive the car because you can set it up to only spray when you want it.

Meth will richen up the A/F and in order to take advantage of the cooler air charge, timing will need to be added to make more power as well.

Remove the meth and the a/f goes lean and the timing is still there which can cause detonation.

If the car is tuned so that the meth fails then the tune would have to be made for the car that is not running meth at all which would reduce the benefits of the meth greatly.

Basically, if the car is tuned so that it wouldnt be hurt if the meth fails, than your missing out on the actual power benefits the meth should supply.

Kinda like how running 118 octane with an 87 octane tune doesnt yield a power increase.

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
I'm just gonna have vin diesel under my hood rubbing it with ice when I cruise...and paul walker riding shotty with his laptop tuner.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
the main power gain from meth does come from advanced timing but that can be adjusted based on the intake air temp, and when the meth is spraying the air is colder thus the comp will advance timing automatically. Remove the meth, air temp goes up and the timing is retarded to avoid damage.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
the main power gain from meth does come from advanced timing but that can be adjusted based on the intake air temp, and when the meth is spraying the air is colder thus the comp will advance timing automatically. Remove the meth, air temp goes up and the timing is retarded to avoid damage.

That is true, but I guess it depends on where you spray the meth.

Obviously you would have to spray it before the MAF/IAT sensor for that to work but in theory it should work.

Im just cautious about meth....lol IDK why, just seems sketchy to me.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
There are ways to get boost cheap.... In all reality, even new blower kits are cheap for these cars. Newer mustang kits are like 8 grand. 10 grand for a BMW Vortec kit.

True on both sides.Different animals when it comes to heat..... but both need cooler. I still prefer PD blowers for the quite sound level and instant boost.

All if not most of the OEM manufactures (Ford, MB, GM) all use self contained units with 100,000 miles service intervals..... Pretty firm reliability ;)
if you didnt read, it's not what in specs or facts. it is my personal opinion. in my own trade ive seen what external cooling and lubrication can do as well as "self-contained". im not impressed.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
There are alot of people on this forum with Boost..... But out of all the People, Me and justin are the 2 guys driving out boosted cars everyday, beating the crap out of the cars, and did all the work ourselves. Unlike others who install a blower and only drive it 300 miles then sell the unit....

IMHO, I would not ever run 10psi Non-innercooled. A street car is Leaps and bounds different from a track car that goes on and off the trailer. A steet car has to deal with harsh environment with ever changing conditions. It will save you alot of time, money, and hassle if you just install a CX Racing Front Mount I/C at the same times as the blower install. If you install the I/C later on, you need to get all new piping, a new maf, a new tune, and re-stall the blower AGAIN cause it has be to re-clocked.

I/C is essential to a street car with boost. Every OEM manufacture that uses boost ways uses a A-to-A or A-to-W I/C system because it is necessary for performance and safety.

Yeah, you can install the Blower and run 10psi non-innercooled, but its not gonna make power. The whole point of the I/C system is to avoid pulling timing. With the I/C system, the computer can keep timing high and create more power. With a Non-I/C system boosting 10 PSI, the computer will pretty much always be pulling timing and you will be sacrificing Power.

Yes, the CX racing I/C does cause boost lose, but all you need to do is change pulley to gain back the pound that was lost. There are people on ModdedMustang.com with this same set up.

When i installed my KB, i could have saved $1000 and gon non-I/C, but after DD the car for 6,000 miles, i feel that would have been a HUGE Mistake. I have driven my car boosting 11 PSI in 105 Degree ambiant temps while beating it..... I know if that would have been done without a I/C, i could see many problems occurring.

A good racing once said "Do it right the first time, or you will just do it again, and again, and again"

dude, how long have you had your blower on your car? Seriously....common now

You act like installing a blower is a experienced tech only job...its a very simple install, basically a more in depth bolt on

we can go back in forth again about pd vs centri, meth vs i/c, etc -- but whats the point? Half of you guys don't understand how meth really works or HAVE NEVER RUN IT to even give an opinion, so if you have never run it don't even talk about its gains, how it works, etc.

you and justin are two of the guys that actually did the install on your blowers and beat them? -- again, stop with the nonsense

If you were referring to me about putting a blower on for 300 miles and selling the head unit -- look at a real build someone does in their garage. Everything done to my car has be done in my own garage, and im not talking about a pointless PI Swap, I'm talking fully built motor, full fuel system, roll cage, ....everything

I just feel like you come off like this blower novice now, and you have a setup that 10000 mustang guys have and in reality will get whooped up by almost any guy that has a clue how to drive.

Its not your way or the highway, trust me there are PLENTY of things I would do different to your car if you actually wanted to spend $8k wisely

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Justin if you're spraying it after the IAT sensor then wouldn't you have to more or less make a guess for the tune thus having to play it on the safe side anyways? Seems like if you don't know how hot the air is entering the engine it would make things a sort of guessing game.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Justin if you're spraying it after the IAT sensor then wouldn't you have to more or less make a guess for the tune thus having to play it on the safe side anyways? Seems like if you don't know how hot the air is entering the engine it would make things a sort of guessing game.

Im not sure, honestly I thought it was normal to spray after the sensors, right before the TB.

Your right though, Im really not all that experienced with Meth and how people run the kits.

I just wouldnt want it as an intercooler replacement and I hate the idea of having to refill a meth tank lol

I would consider running it on my car in addition to the intercooler for cooler IATs though.

Meth wouldnt hurt the maf sensor?

On a side note Mike just went so hard on Handz. lol

For the record I did install my numerous supercharger kits in my garage as well as drive the car on a daily basis ( and drive it hard) over the past 3 years or so and 50k miles that ive been boostin.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is about 97Stanger's post is that I wasnt even referring to him in that post.... I just took the number "300 Miles" Out of thin air..... Funny how he just tossed himself under the rug lol.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just feel like you come off like this blower novice now, and you have a setup that 10000 mustang guys have and in reality will get whooped up by almost any guy that has a clue how to drive.

10,000 mustang guys have a Kenne Bell?...... Reality Check, I am like 1 of 2or3 people on this forum with a 2.1 KB 2V set up...... Just sayin.

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Lets keep it civil gentleman...I want this thread to be educational, not a pissing match.

I'd hate to have to lock my own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online