Just curious... EVERYONE JOIN IN!!

Black WS6

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, I just posted an introduction. As it says in my intro I own an 02' Trans Am WS6 and an 04' Cobra.

I'm just curious about a couple things, I'm not trying to start an argument or offend anyone either so please don't take offense. Thanks.

1.) Just wondering why MOST (notice I said most) Mustang guys hate the LS1 motor so much? It's a fantastic engine that not many cars can even keep up with. I bought my 02' in 2002 new. When it was stock, I was beating Cobra's from all years (96-01) and I kept up with 03/04 Cobra's. I'm not dissing them or anything. I just want to know why MOST Mustang guys talk crap about it.

2.) Why bother buying a 96-98 Gt/Cobra and try to beat an LS1? Why not just buy a Trans Am? (I hate Camaro's BTW) They look bad ass, they are easy to work on, easy to MOD, very reliable, get better gas mileage than a Cobra, etc.

3.) And I emphasize this question... WHY DID FORD MAKE A 4.6 MUSTANG????? I don't understand why they would make a 4.6 when GM was making 5.7 liters and blowing them away. I give the 03/04 Cobra's credit, BUT They would not be what they are without the supercharger (i'm not talking crap either, I OWN ONE!) Why didn't Ford make a 5.4, 5.8 or something bigger?? I don't understand. The 96-98 Cobra's are "nice" but only make 260-270 rwhp. And the 99-01 Cobra's are "better" but they still don't make as much power as an LS1. And they have 4 cams!

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: Just curious... Everyone's opinions needed.

Mustang Looks Better, Handles Better, And was designed better.

The only think the Fat, Ugly, and Poorly designed F-Body had going for it was the engine.... Thats It

OP
OP
B

Black WS6

Reaction score

SRT Handz said:

The only think the Fat, Ugly, and Poorly designed F-Body had going for it was the engine.... Thats It

What is poorly designed on the F-Bodies? And you Can't tell me that this is "Ugly"

FallFront.jpg

EngineBay3.jpg

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Black WS6 said:
What is poorly designed on the F-Bodies?

......Ever take notice of that Big, ugly Bulge in the Passenger side Foot-well? :hammer:

OP
OP
B

Black WS6

Reaction score

SRT Handz said:
Black WS6 said:
What is poorly designed on the F-Bodies?

......Ever take notice of that Big, ugly Bulge in the Passenger side Foot-well? :hammer:

Yes, yes I have, is that the only thing that is "poorly designed". I don't ever sit in the passenger side, so I never notice it so therefore do not care about it. :thumb:

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Black WS6 said:
Yes, yes I have, is that the only thing that is "poorly designed". I don't ever sit in the passenger side, so I never notice it so therefore do not care about it. :thumb:

..... Well some people, including me, care about the entire car.

I could go on for days on how much the F-Body Platform Sucks...

-Ugly Interior
-Bad Brakes
-WAY too Heavy
-Stupid Floor Pan Bulge

Mustang is Better Looking, Handles better, Has a better interior, Was better priced, ect.... this is why the mustang is still around today.

Yes, the F-Body does have the LS1..... but every other part of the car is Rubbish

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

It's funny that Handz, in all his suspension genius, thinks a Mustang handles better than a WS6.

Black WS6 - the only people who think LS1s suck are Ford fanboys who don't grasp reality.

People (like me) own Mustangs instead of Mullets for our own reasons. I personally the way a Mustang looks, and don't like working on Mullets. I also don't like the interior ergonomics. That said, I'd love to have a new Mustang with a powerplant that doesn't suck.

Paul.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Paul said:
It's funny that Handz, in all his suspension genius, thinks a Mustang handles better than a WS6.

Lets take a 99 WS6 and a 99 Cobra.... No way in gods Green earth does a WS6 Out handle a 99 Cobra.... If you think it can paul then you need to slap yourself.

OP
OP
B

Black WS6

Reaction score

SRT Handz said:
Black WS6 said:

..... Well some people, including me, care about the entire car.

I could go on for days on how much the F-Body Platform Sucks...

-Ugly Interior
-Bad Brakes
-WAY too Heavy
-Stupid Floor Pan Bulge

Mustang is Better Looking, Handles better, Has a better interior, Was better priced, ect.... this is why the mustang is still around today.

Yes, the F-Body does have the LS1..... but every other part of the car is Rubbish

I'll admit that the plastic "snap-on" interior pieces suck and the floor pan bulge sucks. But Black leather interior (in my car) looks very nice and is comfortable. As far as weight is concerned, there weight difference between an 02' trans am and an 02' mustang is around 300 lbs

2002 Trans Am- 3440 lb (1560 kg) (5.7L LS1)
2002 Mustang- 3113 lb (1412 kg) (4.6 L 281ci)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
300 lbs is a lot. at any rate I love the LSx series engines, they are awesome. Ford went to the modular engine to save money, yes it was a stupid idea.

I do agree that the only good part of an Fbody is the engine and tranny, the rest of the car is pretty bland. They aren't as comfortable as Mustangs, the dash is WAY too long, the gauges are boring, they have a weak rear end, single exhaust system and sound horrible with aftermarket exhaust, you can go on and on. I've heard they really start falling apart in the higher miles, overall a new tech engine in an old tech body.

You should sell your TA and make your Cobra sick.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Another Poor GM Design.... The Exhaust on F-Bodies :hammer:

some F-Body owners may say "GM Used a single exhaust To Save Money" which is a BS statement.

The REAL reason F-Bodies use a Single exhaust is because the F-Body Platform was designed so badly they didnt take into consideration the exhaust under the car.... so because of a lack of room, they had to use a single exhaust.

.....and 300 LBS is ALOT of weight.... its like driving around with 2 Backstreet Boys in your backseat :hammer:

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
ls series engines are nice :dunno: if i could have afforded a ws6 at 16 then maybe i would have. probably would have gotten a sn95 cobra but nothing against the f-bodies. nice car man!

OP
OP
B

Black WS6

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
300 lbs is a lot. at any rate I love the LSx series engines, they are awesome. Ford went to the modular engine to save money, yes it was a stupid idea.

I do agree that the only good part of an Fbody is the engine and tranny, the rest of the car is pretty bland. They aren't as comfortable as Mustangs, the dash is WAY too long, the gauges are boring, they have a weak rear end, single exhaust system and sound horrible with aftermarket exhaust, you can go on and on. I've heard they really start falling apart in the higher miles, overall a new tech engine in an old tech body.

You should sell your TA and make your Cobra sick.

To me, its more of a car when I sit in it. The gauges aren't as good looking i agree. Rear end is junk, thats why theres the almighty 9" :thumb: as for the single exhaust system... mine has true duals. It doesn't cost too much to make it true duals. As for the higher miles, I've seen people go 200k+ with no major issues, than again I've seen people hit 200K and have to replace some parts.

As they sit right now, my TA eats my Cobra. I do believe in the saying, "There's no replacement for displacement."

McGarrh

Reaction score

Black WS6 said:
SRT Handz said:

What is poorly designed on the F-Bodies? And you Can't tell me that this is "Ugly"

FallFront.jpg

EngineBay3.jpg

Let me be the first to tell you that your car looks really good from what I can see, especially the engine bay! The only thing I dont like is the "hump", but that would certainly not make me hate the car. There are things on my car I dont really like. Well welcome to the forum! :thumb: Lets see some pics of the Cobra by the way....

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score

personally the 02 ws6 is one of my favorite cars. They are so sexy(especially yours.), the body lines and exterior and drivetrain

I don't like camaro's too much either. I can honestly say that every year the firebird/trans am has been out it has looked better than the camaro of the same year.

and i also don't understand why ford chose to go with a tiny displacement engine making unreasonable power. It's embarassing to be completely honest. I am currrently looking at selling my car and buying a 98 or newer cobra just because of how ridiculously slow and unresponding to mods my car is. But no one seems to want a slow ass npi mustang that's terrible on gas ( can't imagine why? )

I mean a 14 second car isn't fast by anymeans. but for only having 200whp (maybe) it's somewhat impressive to an extent. but once you realize that's all the motor has in it it's nothing special at all.

my friend has a 97 ws6, he ran a 13.9 bonestock with a $9,000 auto tranny (LOL) he put longtubes and an x pipe on his car and ran a 13.2 which pisses me off. i'd be lucky to run a 14 flat with my mods.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even though i HATE F-Bodies..... I must say....

YOU WS6 IS SO F*CKING SEXY!!!

You did it all right...even the hood vents :thumb:

OP
OP
B

Black WS6

Reaction score

McGarrh said:
Black WS6 said:
SRT Handz said:

FallFront.jpg

EngineBay3.jpg

Let me be the first to tell you that your car looks really good from what I can see, especially the engine bay! The only thing I dont like is the "hump", but that would certainly not make me hate the car. There are things on my car I dont really like. Well welcome to the forum! :thumb: Lets see some pics of the Cobra by the way....

frontqtr-large.jpg

enginebay.jpg

interior.jpg

dyno-intakeexhaust.jpg

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
lsx engines arent bad, they don't suck, but i bought the car, not just the engine

i loves muh stang

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sweet Cobra, doesn't take much to get them into the 10s. That Cobra interior is 10x the interior of the Fbody all day long, those seats are sick.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
it's a rivalry too, old old old one, if someone's a Redskins fan would you expect themto give the cowboys any props, even if the boys are super awesome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online