Just purchased 96 GT W/Vortech /V1 S Trim having big time issues help!

Thomas_W

Reaction score
So would you just run both valve covers to a vented catch can? What would I use to plug the intake manifold hole and Power Pipe hole? Is there a a catch can or oil separator you like or a kit you recommend? If piecing together and building myself, what kind of fitting and hose should I run?

You sure it's white smoke? Also is the head unit a sealed one or one that's plumbed into the car's oil system? Have you started the car and looked to see where the oil is coming from? There's a lot of possibilities to fix it. I agree with Thomas. Delete the PCV system to eliminate that one. But from the pics I'd suspect failing gaskets/seals on that head unit.

Everyone I talk to says it blow by getting past the piston rings. I'll call Vortech right now but im pretty sure it's blow by...

Sean

With what your having, i would just a vented catch can with dual inputs. Then run hose from each valve cover to the can. As far as hose, you can go as expensive or cheap as you want. For capping the lines, just find some large vacuum plugs/caps.

Its most likely blow-by, but it could be caused from boost air from the intake entering the passenger valve cover through the PCV valve.

MMR i believe has a push fitting to fit the PCV grommet to accept an AN line.

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
So would you just run both valve covers to a vented catch can? What would I use to plug the intake manifold hole and Power Pipe hole? Is there a a catch can or oil separator you like or a kit you recommend? If piecing together and building myself, what kind of fitting and hose should I run?

With what your having, i would just a vented catch can with dual inputs. Then run hose from each valve cover to the can. As far as hose, you can go as expensive or cheap as you want. For capping the lines, just find some large vacuum plugs/caps.

Its most likely blow-by, but it could be caused from boost air from the intake entering the passenger valve cover through the PCV valve.

MMR i believe has a push fitting to fit the PCV grommet to accept an AN line.

Will the car run even richer without the PCV? I am just asking because it's already pig-rich so I just want to ensure I can do this without any ill-effects.

What kind of hose would you recommend I use and what inner diameter? I read you should run the largest inner diameter possible to help crankcase ventilation. Any idea what size and type of elbows I should run for the in the valve cover holes? Sorry for the basic questions, I just want to do it right the first time.

Sean

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Will the car run even richer without the PCV? I am just asking because it's already pig-rich so I just want to ensure I can do this without any ill-effects.

What kind of hose would you recommend I use and what inner diameter? I read you should run the largest inner diameter possible to help crankcase ventilation. Any idea what size and type of elbows I should run for the in the valve cover holes? Sorry for the basic questions, I just want to do it right the first time.

Sean

it shouldnt effect the tune at all. Definitely rin the largest hose possible. I believe the PCV is 5/8" in diameter. My last car i was running -10 or 12 AN line

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
it shouldnt effect the tune at all. Definitely rin the largest hose possible. I believe the PCV is 5/8" in diameter. My last car i was running -10 or 12 AN line

Sorry for the ignorance Thomas, but couple more questions....

When you say the PCV is 5/8", I would need to look for a 90* PVC elbow in place of both the PCV and drivers side valve cover holes correct? Or what kind of elbow should I be running in the valve covers (i.e. what metal or PVC)? Do you know what thread pitch and count is needed? Do I need to use any kind of thread tape or locktight or anything when installing the 90* elbows?

And are you saying any kind of fuel line with a 5/8" inner diameter should fit properly on the 90* elbows that I will plumb the hose from running to the catch can?

Does this mean the catch can needs the fittings to be 5/8" also?'

Sorry, just have never done this and it's like pulling teeth trying to find a writeup or parts list for a vented catch can setup...

Sean

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The drivers side valve cover already has an elbow with a rubber hose on it. Just replicate that on the passenger side. The elbow (a brass or plastic 90* barbed fitting just needs to be large enough to fit snug in the PCV valve grommet. Then a rubber hose from hoth of those elbows would go to the appropriate size fittings on the catch can.

Its unlikely you will find 5/8" or larger fuel line at your typical auto parts store, you'll probably have to order it online or find a rubber hose supplier local for those sizes.

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
The drivers side valve cover already has an elbow with a rubber hose on it. Just replicate that on the passenger side. The elbow (a brass or plastic 90* barbed fitting just needs to be large enough to fit snug in the PCV valve grommet. Then a rubber hose from hoth of those elbows would go to the appropriate size fittings on the catch can.

Its unlikely you will find 5/8" or larger fuel line at your typical auto parts store, you'll probably have to order it online or find a rubber hose supplier local for those sizes.

What about the thread pitch/size for the PCV hole? Do I need to worry about that or just got a barbed 5/8" fitting and the thread pitch should be appropriate. Are there any kind of gains to brass or metal fittings compared to plastic?

The hose you are referring to that runs from my drivers side valve cover to the power pipe is probably 4 feet long since it runs behind the engine to the front of the car where the power pipe is located. How would I know what size this hose is? If it's the right size I assume I could use this for both lines running to the catch can, right?

Regarding the catch can: I am having a tough time deciding which I should run. Aren't there vented units out there with fittings/nipples already on them so you can just install your hose right over the top? If I run a catch can without the fittings, I assume I will need to run the appropriate size fittings to accept the 5/8" hose. Plastic also OK for this?

Thanks for all of the great advice Thomas, you are a huge help! I want to get this done ASAP.

Sean

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Took the car by a local dyno tuner and he said he would do a compression and leak down test before I do anything. Guess I will have to purchase the leak down tester from Harbor Freight on the way home from work and rent the compression tester from Autozone. Never done a leak down test, but I have compressed air do it shouldn't be too bad hopefully.

Sean

Thomas_W

Reaction score
What about the thread pitch/size for the PCV hole? Do I need to worry about that or just got a barbed 5/8" fitting and the thread pitch should be appropriate. Are there any kind of gains to brass or metal fittings compared to plastic?

The hose you are referring to that runs from my drivers side valve cover to the power pipe is probably 4 feet long since it runs behind the engine to the front of the car where the power pipe is located. How would I know what size this hose is? If it's the right size I assume I could use this for both lines running to the catch can, right?

Regarding the catch can: I am having a tough time deciding which I should run. Aren't there vented units out there with fittings/nipples already on them so you can just install your hose right over the top? If I run a catch can without the fittings, I assume I will need to run the appropriate size fittings to accept the 5/8" hose. Plastic also OK for this?

Thanks for all of the great advice Thomas, you are a huge help! I want to get this done ASAP.

Sean

The PCV valve is held on place by a rubber grommet, there are no threads. You'll need whatever size barbed fitting that'll fit that grommet, it may or may not be 5/8". Only gain with brass is it doesnt melt.

For the driver size hose size, measure it to figure out the size. You can use that hose to the catch can.

As for the catch can, look on summit and jegs for a vented breather can, they may have universal ones that just need the proper fittings

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
The PCV valve is held on place by a rubber grommet, there are no threads. You'll need whatever size barbed fitting that'll fit that grommet, it may or may not be 5/8". Only gain with brass is it doesnt melt.

For the driver size hose size, measure it to figure out the size. You can use that hose to the catch can.

As for the catch can, look on summit and jegs for a vented breather can, they may have universal ones that just need the proper fittings

Perfect thanks Thomas.

I actually read through this thread earlier today and it helped out. I'm pretty sure I've got it, now just gotta source all the proper parts. Thanks again for all your help Thomas!

Master ford tech coming over Wednesday to help with a compression and leak down test to make sure the engine is ok. Once that's confirmed, I'll build the catch can setup. Once catch can is done, I'll start worrying about changing the 2.76" pulley to something larger so I'm not running 14psi on a stock bottom end.

Sesn

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
I am currently running a very unsafe 2.75" 8 rib pulley. What pulley size should I swap out to obtain lower boost (9-10 psi is what I was thinking I want to run so bitten end is safe) with my current setup? Guy at Vortech told me each size up is usually good for 1-2 psi drop so he recommended a 2.85" 8 rib but that's definitely contradictory from what I've read. Also, would it be safe to change and drive the car on a larger pulley before it sees a dyno tune?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
That is likely the catch can i will be using later on.

For a stock bottom end, i would look for whatever pulley will give you 7-8psi of boost. Since the car is untuned now, i would drive it as little as possible until it is tuned

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Justin from VMP sent me a tune that should help the cold start. Well. We got the tune in the car and it died countless times, had to prime with meth 8 times over the course of like 6 or 7 attempts and cranking. Literally had to hold the revs for Like 5 minutes collectively. I'm not sure but he may have sent me the same base tune the car already had in it.

We were going to datalog and we were almost done matching up the perameters in Livewire but couldn't locate 2 of the necessary parameters;air intake temp, air control temp and downstream air temp. Anyone have any clue if these should be on the Livewire datalog? We looked and just didn't see it.

Sean

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.