Listen to my Idle

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by 1Broderick, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 1Broderick

1Broderick New Member

So my '95 has had a good amount of problems, it's actually in a shop right now haha.

One thing that has always bothered me since I bought it was the way it idled.

Recently it got much worse, I would start it up and the check engine light would flash 3-4 times, then engine revs to 2k then cuts off.

Other times I would start it up and it would just struggle to idle, going between 500-1000rpm, after it calmed down it would still go between 500-750 and shake the car.

Here's the idle
    https://vimeo.com/156448242

Then I...

- Cleaned out the throttle body (as much as I could without without taking it off)

- Cleaned the MAF sensor

- Cleaned out the IAC

- Installed new MSD Cap/Rotor

Afterwards I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and it idles like this...

https://vimeo.com/156449160

https://vimeo.com/156449272

It still sounds like crap to me.
    The man I bought it from claims that it has a "mild cam". But that doesn't really sound like a cam to me, but I don't know everything so that's why I'm here

So does anyone know what it should really sound like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cameron57

cameron57 Active Member

Is the firing order correct it sounds like a miss or exhaust leak hard to tell in a video. Lol plus im on my phone. Check firing order you could replace plugs and plug wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

3. TrickVert

TrickVert Member

Definitely doesn't sound right. How does it drive?

Two wires swapped and/or a bad plug (or plugs) could be the culprit. If those are good, have you checked the timing and verified the balancer hasn't spun?

Andy

4. 1Broderick

1Broderick New Member

Thanks for the replies, I had triple checked when I put the wires on, recently the timing was done and it was still bad. Got a 2013 Veloster (good mpg, kinda fun, 6-speed), so I'm trying to sell the stang now :/ . I'm sure I'll end up with another eventually.

5. TrickVert

TrickVert Member

If "the timing was done," but the balancer wasn't checked, it could still be out of whack. Deteriorated rubber and the balancer being spun is a common occurrence on these 20+-year-old cars. You could also have a fouled plug (or plugs), or the distributor could have jumped. Also note that 500-750 RPM with a cam can be too low for a stable idle. Sometimes it takes 850 or so to smooth things out.

On a side note, it always surprises me when someone just gives up and sells a car due to (sometimes easily repairable) problems like this. (No disrespect intended, just an observation.) Glad you found something else you like, though. :thumbsup:

6. 1Broderick

1Broderick New Member

Haha, I'm not offended at all. My parents are wanting me to sell the car because I don't need two, but I'm leaning towards keeping it actually.

If I can fix the idle and this knocking sound that I'm hearing when I lie underneath then I think I will keep it.

I definitely do think it has an exhaust leak

Brace yourself...
    (Most likely) Dumb questions starting now:

1) How can I check the balancer?

2) Should I just replace all the plugs and wires?

3) It idles at about 1k now, but after a while (5-10 minutes) it drops back to its rough low idle, what could that be?

4) When I'm driving and push in the clutch or put it in neutral (when I'm approaching a red light for instance) the idle rises and falls. I assume that's a computer problem not mechanical right?

Thanks for all the help, I really really don't want to sell this car. Now that I have another car to drive to work/school, I can spend time tinkering and messing with this car, worry free.

7. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

Idle air controller perhaps?

8. 1Broderick

1Broderick New Member

I've cleaned the IAC, and I attempted to check it with a multimeter and I think it's working