Little project I'm working on...

o36

Reaction score
14469695_530933200440962_2640120063841565280_n.jpg

First part of this is converting an unused 500w computer power supply into a DC power supply for testing. So far I've split all of the 12v rails (there's 2, of 18A each), the 5v, 3.3v and Ground into their respective groupings. Jumped the green PWR_ON cable to a single ground wire so I can leave that all contained inside the unit (jumping the green wire allows the PSU to turn on without being attached to a motherboard).

Next is to test fit some 5 way binding posts, and find some banana plugs capable of receiving 8g wire to make some power leads for connecting to amps. I'll be making some 12v jumpers to hook into the REM posts on amps. One end of the power leads will be banana plug to connect to the PSU, and the other end will be spade connections to the amp side. If this turns out well, I'll probably do another one with beefier 12v rails so I can power multiple amps at the same time, like a full system test bench.

After that, I'll be looking for an old school oscilloscope to sit on my work bench, get a proper soldering iron instead of the crappy 18w handheld one I have now. Get better storage and organization for screws, spade and ring connections, tools etc.

I'm planning on starting up a part time gig stocking amps, head units, etc and eventually offering installation and system sales services on weekends. I already make pretty decent money, this is just kind of a fun thing for me to do, make a bit of extra cash on the side and maybe turn it into something decent, eventually getting into pro audio installations for competitions and things like that, retail equipment as a reseller for some of the decent brands out there (not big box stuff like JBL, etc).

I tend to focus on the SQ side of car audio, not so much the crazy bass head stuff. I might even try my hand at doing some of the Soundman Car Audio iPad dash kit installs, etc. I'd probably focus on specializing in Mustangs, at least to start with since I'm going to be fairly low key to begin with.

heffe2001

Reaction score
I would recommend getting a Corsair CX750, has a much larger single 12v rail, so it'll power pretty much anything you can throw at it.. I did the same in a jukebox I retrofitted over to MP3 a few years ago, ran a pretty large car amp in it to power the speakers and also was able to power the small ITX mobo, and the jukebox flipcard box as well.. Since it's a single rail 12v, you don't have to worry about overpowering the 12v.. I think it was something like 62a on the 12v+ rail..

Runs something like 70 bucks at Newegg, so it won't break the bank, but is WAY cheaper than a pro 12v supply that'll supply that much amperage.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx750-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply

heffe2001

Reaction score
And you'll probably need to tie a load on the 5v line, otherwise it may not trigger the minimum power circuit that most modern power supplies have.. A 10w resistor from +5 to ground will suffice, but I'd suggest using a 10w with a heatsink attached, the old ceramic ones can get REALLY hot.

I used a couple of these, with integrated heat sinks, attached to the inside of the power supply directly to the case..

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Alumi...8&qid=1476403519&sr=8-2&keywords=10w+resistor

If you don't give the +5 some draw, you won't get the correct voltage out of the 12v side (with the CX above, and without the resistors, I would get around 11.5a or a little less, with 2 of the 10w resistors attached, I was getting just about 12.7ish).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001