Long tube headers? BBK? kooks? american racing?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
qe9y2a4y.jpg

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about..... quality is lacking.

But its not cheap to have them installed so def don't pass on a deal

The D3V

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Yeah BBK couldn't be bothered to design a set of headers that didn't have a kink in a primary to clear the steering shaft. If you are running longtubes, run SLP at minimum. I like them because they are stainless, jet hotted from the factory and they use slip fittings. They are also cheaper than Kooks and great quality. With that said, Kooks is probably THE best one if you can swing $1k. SLP is $700 but you are getting the ceramic coating too so they are actually a pretty damn good deal.

Also, longtubes, or even shorties for that matter, aren't really necessary on a modular. The stock manifolds aren't really restrictive like the godawful headers were that came stock on the old 5.0s. For the price of a good set of longtubes and mid pipe to go with you are halfway to a supercharger kit.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I disagree with the flow. For a stock engine the headers are fine but any serious mods you'd want long tubes.

Cams and LTS
Nitrous and LTS
FI and LTS.

Most people do end up getting them for the sound though its barely noticeable if anything its quieter

The D3V

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
No serious mods are going to make more than 260 or 270 to the wheels without a power adder involved. Except cams, and they aren't exactly cost effective... At which point, the power adder is going to make enough power to blow up the stock internals with the stock manifolds still on the car. I mean to each their own, I just would not bother until the rotating assembly was replaced with something that can handle 500+. Look at the Termi guys, they usually don't touch the manifolds until the 600hp range.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
No serious mods are going to make more than 260 or 270 to the wheels without a power adder involved. Except cams, and they aren't exactly cost effective... At which point, the power adder is going to make enough power to blow up the stock internals with the stock manifolds still on the car. I mean to each their own, I just would not bother until the rotating assembly was replaced with something that can handle 500+. Look at the Termi guys, they usually don't touch the manifolds until the 600hp range.

In a term that's the first thing I would do. Boost will drop but efficiency will increase.

That's all long tubes will do with a power adder....can they survive without it sure but no doubt the cost to benefits go up with a power + Lt vs bolt ons + LTS....

The D3V

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Yeah I mean its all cost benefit and personal preference. But Termi guys also have the advantage of having a motor that won't fly apart if you sneeze on it lol.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
just a little update I found an o/r shorty x for sale not too far from me for $70 so Im going to pick that up on Wednesday....this may be a stupid question but does the fitment change for a mid pipe and/or headers on a convertible vs a coupe?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I too am wanting to partake in the AMAZING prices we get by being in DSAZ. Just haven't decided on what headers. Definitely won't be BBK though, such a pain to change a clutch later or a TOB. But sounds like you aren't going to be doing that work yourself. I plan to change my clutch and TOB soonish but not at the same time.

punched281

Reaction score
Good thread, I am getting married and decided to wait till after the wedding to get going on the turbo. So I am really wanting some headers. I am thinking about pacesetters, any thoughts??

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Pacesetter longtubes are terribad. I've said it before and I'll say it again, get SLP or Kooks. SLP is a great bang for the buck even at $700 for what you get and what you get is a stainless steel ceramic coated longtube header with slip fittings.

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Love my bbk on my 95. Pacesetters are like a track only option. They are cheap for a reason they won't last long on a street car

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Yeah the pushrods BBKs are ok. I just can't get over how they just kinked a primary for the 4.6L headers to clear the steering shaft. Bush league.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
well heres the final update on this topic. I just picked up a bbk o/r x pipe for $70. Tomorrow I will be picking up a set of Mac long tubes for $120. I would say I did pretty good with my mid pipe and LT's for a total of $190

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
well heres the final update on this topic. I just picked up a bbk o/r x pipe for $70. Tomorrow I will be picking up a set of Mac long tubes for $120. I would say I did pretty good with my mid pipe and LT's for a total of $190

Yep good deal!!!!

The D3V

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Do the Macs work with BBK pipes on a modular? I know they for sure won't on a pushrod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online