long tubes or shorty's on a 96?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ground clearance doesn't look bad on those at all.
It's nice to see some for less $$ too!

If I wasn't going turbo, I'm sure I'd have some too.

ripper

Reaction score
Stock headers for me. I didnt want the heat under my hood.

ripper

Reaction score
Headers get very hot. Thats why they change color. They are not made from cast like stock headers. Your stock headers although they dont flow as good are great insulators. Most of the heat goes out the exhaust. Lay a wire across a stck header then across a longtube and see what happens.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
well when it came down to it we were also pressed for time and needed to get my car outta the shop and back on the road and they had a pair of brand new BBK shorty headers so they just put those on instead of LTs cuz they kept having problems with LTs.... if i could go back id get LTs but i had no choice

Adam

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Headers get very hot. Thats why they change color. They are not made from cast like stock headers. Your stock headers although they dont flow as good are great insulators. Most of the heat goes out the exhaust. Lay a wire across a stck header then across a longtube and see what happens.

They will both melt, thats what will happen ??? They do make coatings and wraps for headers you know. Another bit of info for you, guess what the single biggest restriction on a 2V motor is? The exhaust manifolds. You put LTs on your set up and you would make more power with less boost, alot more. Supercharging a car and leaving the stock exhaust manifolds on is like wiping your a$$ and then taking a $hit. Think air pump..... ;)

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Adam said:
Stevo said:

They will both melt, thats what will happen ??? They do make coatings and wraps for headers you know. Another bit of info for you, guess what the single biggest restriction on a 2V motor is? The exhaust manifolds. You put LTs on your set up and you would make more power with less boost, alot more. Supercharging a car and leaving the stock exhaust manifolds on is like wiping your a$$ and then taking a $hit. Think air pump..... ;)

I am pretty sure they do make wraps, i have seen them before on pics and on some site but i dont remember which, just google it.
the problem about it is, that most people say LTs are better *which they are* but you can still make good power with shortys....

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
longtubes or nothing....ive seen people put shortys on and get 5rwhp...i think thats a huge waste for the amount of time you're going to spend on the install...get longtubes, they wont let you down

freefallin98

Reaction score
The guy who had the car before me had a set of chrome jba shorties installed. I dont really know the diff between my car with and without them. But I know they def. gave my car a deeper sound. I would and still might to lt's though one of these days.

jpajkos

Reaction score
Shorties IMO aren't worth the money. I have Kooks LT's and X and I never had clearance issues. Plus the 30 rwhp gain was nice

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
well if its an Auto you HAVE to get shortys cuz they dont make LTs for autos. from what i know the tranny clearance wont allow LTs on autos

blackfang

Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
well if its an Auto you HAVE to get shortys cuz they dont make LTs for autos. from what i know the tranny clearance wont allow LTs on autos
Not true. Hooker and Flowtech both will fit an auto ;)

GDawg

Reaction score
So what's a good LT that would fit up snug under a '98? It's worth a try. 8)

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Adam said:
I used to run a set of FRPP Ceramic shorties, only because I got them on the cheap used. I would never spend the money on a new set of shorties. You can get a new set of Flowtech LT's AND matching X pipe for around $350 shipped last time i checked. This is what i used and had great luck with them. LT's make big torque gains, which is what the Modulars need. Here is a pic of the Flowtechs, you can't get much more ground clearance than this.

Cheapest i found Flowtechs for was 450. Where did you find that?

ripper

Reaction score
If you put long tubes on and you ever gotta pull your trani you have to take them off. You blow a clutch or t/o bearing and your in for some fun. Just somthin to think about.

S

scarface

My MACs snugged up really nice. eibach sportlines, no isolators, and no dragging.

newpics-24.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.