Looking for real world CAM recommendations!

Rogera13

Reaction score
I have a tired non PI 96 GT. I recently picked up a 2009 2v out of a police interceptor. For those not sure this motor relates directly to the '04 GT. Ford kept the 2v going in the Crown vics...anyway. Stock police interceptor made 250hp with improved exhaust and tune. After a lot of good reading on here I am narrowing in on what I want to do so looking for some real world recommendations on throttle body and CAM. The car is used for Autocross and will also be touring more. I already have BBK shortys, offroad x-pipe, CAI, and SCT tuner. I know just bolting on what I have and tuning will give me a nice boost over stock already. After reading about stock PI intakes good for near 500hp and more in depth on the PI heads I think for now a larger TB and CAMS is where I want to spend my money. HP is not a premium in Autocross and lower RPM HP and TORQUE is what I am aiming for as well as RELIABILITY!!! In may I am signed up for Cars and Cones in May which will be 6 days, 2200 miles and 5 autocross events! I am specifically looking for TB size and CAMS I am considering are Comp, Voodoo and Bullet Racing! Any real word advice would be awesome!! Thanks in advance.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm keeping my mouth shut after this week of butt chewing by the pro's. There is no fool like an old fool. I hope mine comes out sweet and weird.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
CMS Stage 1 or Comp 262AH are great cams for a not so aggressive setup. A solid 25rwhp will be had.

Pick up a 75mm TB and a Plenum and a nice CAI to open up the breathing. You can find them used all day long if you watch classifieds and eBay etc.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I'm keeping my mouth shut after this week of butt chewing by the pro's. There is no fool like an old fool. I hope mine comes out sweet and weird.

Did we miss something? Anyone giving you an extraordinary amount of flak, let me know.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not here, this forum is great, I am trying to buy parts and the big names are trying to shove me into what they have always sold and telling me I'm nuts for what I want to do, Jeez it's only an engine. If that picture of the 7/16 socket in a 5.4 head exhaust port ever got out the panic would shake their beliefs to the core. I'll be good and go back to one of my threads, Merry Christmas to all, try to be patient with your families.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Not here, this forum is great, I am trying to buy parts and the big names are trying to shove me into what they have always sold and telling me I'm nuts for what I want to do, Jeez it's only an engine. If that picture of the 7/16 socket in a 5.4 head exhaust port ever got out the panic would shake their beliefs to the core. I'll be good and go back to one of my threads, Merry Christmas to all, try to be patient with your families.

Now I want to hear your plans... If people are telling you it's crazy, then we want to see you prove them wrong! Stick around this forum and let us know what you are doing with your car

OP: I've heard nothing but good things about the comp xe262ah stage one cams, especially for the drivability. I plan to pick up a set eventually

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am Old Fart, my build thread is listed as" Valve angle"... Maybe I should change the name to "Old Farts Mommoble build"

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in! The Comp Cam seems to be a favorite. The advice is appreciated. Question out of not knowing, not arguing at all. I was leaning toward Comp Cam stage 2? With stock heads and a 75mm TB is that to much? I am not shy about driving the car hard during autocross! I want all I an get out of the stock heads and valves. I am running BBK shorties to an off road X pipe to magnaflows and have a CAI and tune already that will be changed to fit what I end up with. I believe that gives me the most longevity and touring reliability. But if Stage 2 is to aggressive for what stock heads can flow then I'm wasting $$. Again thanks for the input! Most appreciated

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You want the 262AH if you go with Comp. They added "stages" after many years of just going with 3 NPI and 3 PI sets of cams. Now they are mixed together and in "stages".

The 262AH would be the mild version of their PI cams and the 270AH would be the next level up. If you see the part # as 262H or 268H you know it is a cam that was originally designed for NPI heads.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
You want the 262AH if you go with Comp. They added "stages" after many years of just going with 3 NPI and 3 PI sets of cams. Now they are mixed together and in "stages".

The 262AH would be the mild version of their PI cams and the 270AH would be the next level up. If you see the part # as 262H or 268H you know it is a cam that was originally designed for NPI heads.

Thank you for the number and differences. My question is with no CAT and improved TB, plenum and aggressive tune could I use the 270AH or would that cam need head work to benefit. I want to be as aggressive as possible on stock heads!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 270AH is going to need upgraded springs and benefit more from a ported head IMO. They also are very close on PTV contact. Now don't get too hung up on TB size/Plenum as the gain is minimal. I'd just get the 75mm no matter what cams I was running.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
The 270AH is going to need upgraded springs and benefit more from a ported head IMO. They also are very close on PTV contact. Now don't get too hung up on TB size/Plenum as the gain is minimal. I'd just get the 75mm no matter what cams I was running.

I plan on the 75mm TB for sure and I will upgrade springs with the CAM. So it sounds like the 260AH will be all I need. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Off the shelf cams from the early 2000's are not a smart move. There are plenty of guys who have put together a better cm for cheaper. Cushman cams are under 600 and have newest tech in the cam design, and specs. He has cams spec'd for different setups like n/a s/c t/c. Really go look at his page.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Yes that's cms Jim is a great guy he can help you with all your needs. I've been buying all my parts threw him lately. I do not have a set installed at the moment doesn't mean I won't soon.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have CMS cams and have bought most of my short block rebuild through him. I have been dealing with Jim over a decade from when he was part of VT Engines.

I actually need to get ahold of him to see what he has for my Trickflow heads.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Are CMS and Modular Head Shop sister companies? I see their descriptions are similar.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on CMS cams, I have ran several sets of Jim's cams over the years and have never been disappointed. I have my 4th set on order through him as we speak...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online