Looking for recommendation on Ignition parts

dcm0123

Reaction score
1994 Mustang 5.8 (rebuilt from 93 truck) MAF system with blower, Tweecer. Having bucking issues when it runs lean. Forums suggest before you make changes to the tune, replace ignition components because we need high voltage to ignite a lean mixture. Ran better at one time but never perfect.

Are these good choices?

Coil- MSD Ignition 8227 - MSD Blaster TFI Coils (44,000 v)

Cap and rotor- Motorcraft OEM

Plugs- Motorcraft for Trick Flow heads

Wires, Ford Performance Parts Spark Plug Wire Sets M-12259-M301

Distributor Pickup and control module were replaced about 5 years ago with Motorcraft so would like to start with the above first.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Those parts should do alright for you, but running lean by itself will cause bucking issues. Exactly how lean are you running it?

95opal

Reaction score
Your running a blower with aluminum heads? Whats the gap on the plugs and you should probably go another step colder on the plugs to an autolight 3923 or motorcraft equivalent.

OP
OP
D

dcm0123

Reaction score
Those parts should do alright for you, but running lean by itself will cause bucking issues. Exactly how lean are you running it?
Helping my son with his car. Not sure how lean but the symptoms in the article below below from Tweecer resemblex the problem we are having.

“Dan,
when you say light throttle, are you in closed loop at that throttle setting?
if so, then it is likely to show up symptoms of a lean condition, cutting out or bucking, even though it appears rich, this
requires the coil KVA to go high and give more spark energy to light the leaner mixtures but if the coil is suspect it may not be
able to give what is required.
the output of a coil KVA is directly related to the mixture richness and if the KVA is weak over all will completely mess with
what the a/f meter shows and will always show rich until it won't light it
this is usually due to not firing off all the fuel in the combustion chamber and a poor flame front, thus giving a false reading at
the a/f meter as the unburnt fuel is then present in the exhaust stream.
many years ago i chased this on a jaguar which had high CO readings but would not lean out with out it stumbling, i changed
the coil and what do you know, the mixture cleaned up and it had much more power.
i have also had pinging at part throttle due to weak ignition module on a carbed engine due to the module going out.
unless you know the condition of your ignition system, you should not be adjusting the a/f ratio, there are two ways of knowing
the condition of your ignition system, measure the KVA"s of the coil , this requires some sophisticated equipment like a scope,
you can try using a spark checker between the plug and plug wires but not very reliable, or replace the ignition components,
coil, plugs and wires, also the plug cap, rotor and module if you are running them for known good or new components.”
After taking John’s advice:
“John,
You nailed it! I finally took time to change the coil, dist-cap and rotor. Took it out for a drive and really didn’t have any more
bucking.

OP
OP
D

dcm0123

Reaction score
Your running a blower with aluminum heads? Whats the gap on the plugs and you should probably go another step colder on the plugs to an autolight 3923 or motorcraft equivalent.gap.

We are running Motorcraft 3923.
I need to research proper gap. Checked when I pulled the plug and was around .035".
Boost is less than 5 PSI.
1662334354334.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online