Loud fuel pump

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
I assume that's what it is since it's an electrical motor noise. Happens when I'm stopped at a light. It comes and usually shuts off about about 10 seconds. If I just barely touch the throttle, that will stop it too. Do you think I'm correct in my assumption?

RichV

Reaction score
Fuel pump is usually a loud hum coming from the trunk area. When the FP gets loud it does not change tone in my experience.

OP
OP
P

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
Fuel pump is usually a loud hum coming from the trunk area. When the FP gets loud it does not change tone in my experience.
Loud hum would describe it. Does that mean it's getting ready to go out?

RichV

Reaction score
You know most will say yes, including myself. I did have a buddy with a loud one that lasted over a year, he eventually replaced it anyway.

OP
OP
P

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
Well it gave up the ghost today. No priming or anything. Checked fuse and inertia switch. Parts store was able to get one in. Replacing tonight

OP
OP
P

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
The new pump still gets loud sitting at intersections sometimes. Any thoughts?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how loud are we talking about I mean louder then when it primes prior to starting it? Get a louder exhaust BAM problem solved :)

OP
OP
P

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
how loud are we talking about I mean louder then when it primes prior to starting it? Get a louder exhaust BAM problem solved :)
Louder than when it primes, yes. It's pretty audible over the exhaust.

It's got Flowmasters on it so it's not exactly quiet.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't really remember ever hearing my fuel pump even when it was stock other then when I primed but I am not a motor expert by any means.

OP
OP
P

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
It should be running the entire time the engine is, right? No cycling? 97 Cobra since I don't think I mentioned.

kenny150r

Reaction score
Is your AC working? The A/C cycles on and off if it is low on r134a and the compressor clutch can make some noise if burned out!

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Mine was super loud because i didnt have a back seat or anything back there. Soon as i put a back seat in.. its pretty quiet now.

I replaced my pump with a walbro 255lph i think and it was loud as the bad one right after the install. That all changed when the seat cushion was installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online