Lug Nut Discussion! NRG? Monster?

Wichers123

Reaction score
First off these lugs just have a "titanium finish", I'm not even sure if it is Ti.

But... Titanium is actually incredibly strong especially for its weight. Its ratio is better than aluminum but not as good as magnesium. It should be pretty hard too. The downfall for its strength is its not tough, so it doesn't handle impact very good. Its also expensive.

I'd have to figure out how it would handle shear in the bolt/nut situation. But with a shear test it would do poorly since it is impact shear.

I don't remember it being ductile, I thought it was more on the brittle. I'm pretty sure since strength and ductility are often inversely related. But I'd have to look that one up again . Materials has been my favorite engineering class :)

Yeah that's what I was getting at, in this application titanium would be the worse followed with stainless.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well the lug nuts were delievered today... But apparently I still owe money on shipping? No happy at all.

I'll have them tomorrow.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Update

Okay I received them!

I'll be putting them on once I can able to hold a ratchet without it fusing to my hand. Its a bit cold outside...

Anyways here is my first impression on them.

Note: pictures taken when lugs are still cold, the finish may change with temp? edit: it hasn't yet. Maybe out in the sun on a hot day they'll look different?

So far I don't see a titanium finish. Its a black/smoked chrome, which still looks nice.

JgUFHxRl.jpg

97qo1Usl.jpg

Q8Hxn6Xl.jpg

MkKDR82l.jpg

yz0h991l.jpg

tbmRDx9l.jpg

With flash (the little particles are from packaging)

zGIpQzZl.jpg

65058Ral.jpg

Now there are about 5 of the 20 I'm not happy with the finish...
I'm not going to go through the trouble with the returning, they'll still look good.

I think these are the worst

kiXzwiyl.jpg

pZp5naEl.jpg

If I get a set of locking lugs I can simple just take to poor finish ones out.

Overall, the finish is okay. If I could make a recommendation I'd say to try to stick with the solid colors rather than the "shinny finishes".

I hope this helps someone, will post pictures once I install. The package says to torque 75-85. I think I'll try to stick with my 90...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! They look pretty nice - more interesting than the flat black. Hopefully the finish holds up...

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! They look pretty nice - more interesting than the flat black. Hopefully the finish holds up...

Yeah I'm hoping too.

What do you torque yours to? The package said 75-85, but I like 90 much better.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I'm hoping too.

What do you torque yours to? The package said 75-85, but I like 90 much better.

I prefer to use the German measurement: goodentight. ha ha ha. Okay, so really, I usually go for about 100 lbs or so IIRC. I don't always use a torque wrench and just go by feel. I put a little 3-in-1 oil on the threads, so I like to go a little tighter to make sure they don't come off. 75 seems a low to me, I agree with you that 90 sounds better.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would torque them down to what the manufacturer recommends. If you over tighten them you risk stripping off even more of the finish when it comes time to take them off.
Judging by the few that are already having issues holding up the titanium finish, they aren't going to last all that long if you take your wheels off often.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ford's specs are 100 ft-lbs (reference here and backup here - and also in the manual). Since these are steel lugs, I would also recommend 100 ft-lbs. I'll check mine when I get home, but pretty sure they are 100. Most other cars fall into the 75-85 ft-lbs range, which I suspect is why the package says to use this. However, IMO, with steel lugs, you need to go by the *car* manufacturers spec. Other types of metal lugs is a different conversation. If you don't feel comfy using 100 ft-lbs, then maybe 90 is okay - but just understand that's out of spec. FWIW, I had my 95 on Sebring International Raceway and Homestead Miami Speedway with these very lugs set to 100 ft-lbs and no problems yet...I have also *not* had an issue with the finish coming off, though granted mine are a different finish than Orange's...

For reference, my STI is 75 ft-lbs (which is what I have it at).

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought our cars were 90-100? Then my focus is 100-110?

Not sure about the Focus. I just looked up the spec in my FSM, 85 to 105 ft-lbs is acceptable. So it looks like 90 is a-ok according to Ford, even 85.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about the Focus. I just looked up the spec in my FSM, 85 to 105 ft-lbs is acceptable. So it looks like 90 is a-ok according to Ford, even 85.
Yeah just looked it up in my haynes manual. Said 85-105, I've just always done 90 until the focus that specs higher.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about these. When I get some new ones in the spring I'll end up with just a solid color which, I'm sure, is cheaper anyways. They look like nice lugs though.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lug nuts installed!

The fronts look good, nothing special. The back I think looks very good!
My dad isn't an open lug fan, but I like them.

Excuse my filthy car...

WBJmDuwl.jpg

Front

u26RnBal.jpg

bcAt4Tvl.jpg

rear

qHVTrz3l.jpg

SsfwUgjl.jpg

rF3198Fl.jpg

jIIGyBUl.jpg

D6G6wxbl.jpg

Not everyone's nasty, but I think its a bit different.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OK it's been a year, still good? Are they really titanium? They should be highly corrosion resistant. Inquiring minds want to know.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They're definitely not titanium and I was not expecting them to be. They're forged steel and the coating is meh.

There were some defects in coating when new. They've lasted pretty good! Mind you I didn't drive it a ton in the summer and it never sees winter.

I did not use an impact the couple of times I took off the front wheels. The coating stood up pretty good, only wear on the rubbing surfaces that aren't visible when installed.

I would probably recommend them. I like that they're steel and not aluminium. I wouldn't buy no name aluminum ones. Still haven't come across better ones. Somebody out there has to make custom ones. I could design my own, but I don't feel I have enough experience to properly spec them. I also don't know anyone that I could consult with on design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online