Mac Exhaust - any quality issues?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Fender1325, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325 New Member

On the never ending hunt for exhaust and I finally narrowed it down to pypes violators or mac flowpath (both would be with an offroad h). Im leaning towards the mac, but im just wondering is there any quality problems with mac? Ive heard stories about rust issues although I dont know why with the durablack coating........... anyways let me know if you've had trouble with mac before guys - thanks

2. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 Legend

I had a MAC Hpipe, the "Dura" part of the coating stayed on, but all the black part fell off :lame: Then it rusted. I also ordered a catback from them, which never showed up, after three months. I finally had to file a chrageback through my credit card company to get my money back. I did call them repeatedly, and was assured over and over again, it would be out Monday, or as soon as they had a box, etc. Just my experience though, but I stay far away from them now myself.

3. Twista

Twista Legend

Jus tbuy some high temp coating spray and spray the mid down before installing it :)

4. scarface

scarface Guest

that should be done with any exhaust thats not SS.

5. Fender1325

Fender1325 New Member

sounds kinda scary - might just stay away from mac. Have you guys listened to that yellow 2001 gt on youtube that has the pypes violators in? its pretty impressive i have to say.

6. Twista

Twista Legend

Didnt know that (non SS)

i still have to do my prochamber and hpipe :/ there both are uncoated and exposed.

7. scarface

scarface Guest

if not they are exposed to the elements and prone to rusting

8. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

yeah twista, in a few weeks the welds on your pipes are gonna be lookin like shizzat

9. LJmagicJJ

LJmagicJJ Member

i've only heard good things about mac :dunno:.... as long as you buy high temp coating you should be fine.

10. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

All coatings aside, MAC products are not known for a quality fit. They are so bad that my friends's exhaust shop that I worked at for a while actually turns away customers that show up with MAC products because they are too much trouble to mess with. I had no idea that their coatings sucked as well, now I'm 100% against anything they make.

11. LJmagicJJ

LJmagicJJ Member

yeah i have heard that too, however, i have a MAC h pipe on my car now and it fit fine and so do a couple of my buddys.... it's almost a hit or miss.

12. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

Too many hits than misses for us. Any time you have to cut a brand new H-pipe apart to re-weld it you're dealing with a POS product.

13. Twista

Twista Legend

??? Dunno, what mac product your getting. Lets say i have more than "2" and all fit perfect.

14. LJmagicJJ

LJmagicJJ Member

+1 million, i've only had good luck w/ them .... :dunno:

15. Outlaw97GT

Outlaw97GT Active Member

Ive got a Mac o/r H-pipe and Mac pro dumps. Fits good , sounds good. No problems.

O0 From me

16. scarface

scarface Guest

I havent ever had any problems with Mac, other than them sending out the wrong part. However I have heard stories of them not fitting well.

17. Red96GT

Red96GT Legend

I don't have any personal experience with MAC, but the Catted X I bought from Pypes fit very well and wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them again.

18. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

The same MAC exhaust products that this thread is surely talking about. We saw more than our share of these products as well as many other products that either fit well or needed a little bit of tweaking. I worked there at the exhaust shop about 5 years ago, so maybe MAC has improved their quality a little. But with the problems I had personally, I'll give my money to another company.

19. riored96gt

riored96gt Active Member

I put a MAC H-pipe on my '89 and tried numerous times to get it adjusted properly...it never fit right.
    Unfortunately, I had ordered equal length shorties at the same time. They also were "close" to being a really good fit. I had a tiny exhaust leak I could never cure.

Go BBK or Bassani!

20. Casper98gt

Casper98gt New Member

After having FLowmaster American thunder, Duramax catback, SLP LM1's, SLP Powerflow, Magnaflow Magnapacks.....i finally bought MAC and have been happy with it. I wasnt a fan of anything i had bought in the past, but i dont have any problems with them. the tips are the pain in the ass because they dont stay where you want them so i got them tacked. The SLP powerflows are the best sounding muffler on a mustang i have ever heard. But i ran over a manhole cover and they got ripped straight off my car. So i bought the MAC The blackcoating is STILL ALL on mine. I have had them for 2 yrs. now. Great exhaust for the money in my opinion. I have a UPR Offroad X-pipe with them.