Main & Rod Bearings

HawkX66

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, but damn... I just went out to a couple of sites to order bearings and one site will say these fit all xx-xx 4.6L. Next site will say, only Romeo with dowels etc etc... I thought only Windsor used main dowels?
Do you guys have a preference of bearings? I've always been happy with Clevite, and Sealed Power have worked out ok, but I'm open to suggestions. Do any of you happen to have some part numbers for me? I need Main and Rod bearings for a 2002 Romeo 4.6L SOHC. Nothing fancy and just stock sized.

Here's the list I'm thinking I need to order to get the motor back together again.

Rear Main Seal (just installed a new front)
Bearings, Main & Rod
Clutch kit & Flywheel (anything special I need to know besides 11" & 6 bolt?)

I already have new:

Head gaskets & bolts
Timing Kit
Timing cover seals
Oil pan gasket
Intake gaskets
Oil pump
Plugs & COP boots

I know some of you will choke, but I'm re-using the rod and main bolts. They're TTY, but you can get at least a second torque safely out of them. I'm throwing a basic garage hone at the cylinders and re-using the rings. I had good compression and they're within spec.

Edit:
Found this to answer the clutch questions:

"Modular Head Shop - Flywheel Tech Tips

Selecting the proper flywheel can be a bit tricky if you do not know exactly what you are looking for.

Here are a few tips for fitment to better help you select the proper Flywheel for your application.

6 Bolt or 8 Bolt

• 6 Bolt or 8 Bolt refers to the bolt pattern on the Crankshaft's Flywheel Flange.

• 1996 - 1998 and 2001 - 2010 Mustang GT's came stock with 6 Bolt Crankshafts

• All 4V's 1996 - 2004 Cobra and Mach 1 came stock with 8 Bolt Crankshafts

• The 1999 - 2000 4.6L's also came with an 8 Bolt Crankshaft

• All 5.4L Engines came with an 8 Bolt Crankshaft

• All OE Forged Crankshafts are 8 Bolt

• Most aftermarket crankshafts are 8 Bolt

10.5" or 11" Clutch

• T-45 Transmissions came with a 10.5" Clutch, TR3650 and T-56 came with an 11" Clutch

• Ford changed transmissions in mid 2001 from a T-45 to a TR3650 in the Mustang GT.

• The 1999 and 2001 Cobra already had a TR3650

• 1996 - Mid 2001 came standard with a 10.5" Clutch, Mid 2001 and on is 11"

• Most aftermarket flywheels will use a dual bolt pattern to fit both 10.5" and 11" Clutch"

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Some fly wheels are 11" with 6 bolt. Ive been through that one!

I set out to purposely destroy stock rod bolts with failed results. Clamping the rod down to a work bench and tighten the bolts to 20turns wouldnt destroy the bolt, however it did stretch close to .100" more.

Besides im the king of re-usueing stock Ford TTY., youll be fine

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Some fly wheels are 11" with 6 bolt. Ive been through that one!

I set out to purposely destroy stock rod bolts with failed results. Clamping the rod down to a work bench and tighten the bolts to 20turns wouldnt destroy the bolt, however it did stretch close to .100" more.

Besides im the king of re-usueing stock Ford TTY., youll be fine
That's what I've been hearing a lot. TTY isn't as big a deal with the mods as some people make it out to be. Glad to hear it.M
My 11" flywheel is a 6 bolt. I was just checking if there were any other differences that I need to keep an eye out for.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I normally go with clevite bearings and typically go to modular head shop's website to get part numbers but I dont buy anything from those assclowns.

Ill dig up some clevite numbers for you momentarily.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
I normally go with clevite bearings and typically go to modular head shop's website to get part numbers but I dont buy anything from those assclowns.

Ill dig up some clevite numbers for you momentarily.
Thanks. They were one of the ones I looked at too. They don't seem to differentiate between Romeo and Windsor etc, but other sites do. The say "will fit ALL 4.6L/5.4L and 5.0L engines". No years or differences.

Edit:
Strike that, reverse! If you scroll further down their page it has another one that specifies Romeo...

http://www.modularheadshop.com/i-24...eries-main-bearings.html?ref=category:1268117

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Thanks. They were one of the ones I looked at too. They don't seem to differentiate between Romeo and Windsor etc, but other sites do. The say "will fit ALL 4.6L/5.4L and 5.0L engines". No years or differences.

Rod bearings are going to be the same across the board. Main bearings will be different because of thrust washer design.

Rods
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Conn...ash=item2a724450a6:g:gpkAAOSw5cNYmIWB&vxp=mtr

Mains
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clevitte-MS...527459?hash=item2eff2b5ca3:g:9xAAAOSwax5YxDmF

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to love Amazon. Clevite Main Bearing Set MS2007P $9.24! Open box item from Amazon Warehouse. Love it... :headbang:

Wow! Thats a hell of a deal. Good find on that one, I dont ever shop on amazon.....maybe I should

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Wow! Thats a hell of a deal. Good find on that one, I dont ever shop on amazon.....maybe I should
You should. You don't know what you're missing. Especially if you're a member of Amazon Prime. $70/year gets you free shipping and a bunch of other crap. "Amazon Warehouse" is where all the returns to Amazon are sold.
I just bought a Valeo flywheel off eBay. $85 seems like a pretty decent deal for a brand new one. The closest price for a stock style flywheel was around $200 I think. Now to decide on a cheap clutch and pressure plate. All this crap adds up when you bought a car that was supposed to be running and driving lol...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online