Make a Cobra Breathe!!

Woodysiphone

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Cobra and I want to open the intake system up and make it breathe. I am looking for input, I know this topic will go straight to "Put a turbo on it!" "Put a super charger in it!". Hehe well I am working with about a $500 budget.

The 4v has a CAI on it not sure what brand it's just a polished elbow from the Mass air to inside the fender well. The exhaust is a 2.5 stainless Magnaflow system (sounds great).

I am interested in a 90mm mass air from a Lightning and a BBK 2x65mm throttle body and a Dyno Tune after install. What u think?

Thanks in advance for info and input.

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
You already have a good start with the air intake and catback. Now finish the exhaust with a midpipe and headers, finish opening it up!

OP
OP
W

Woodysiphone

Reaction score
It has the magnaflow mid pipe with cats. But I think the headers are stock I will need to do a closer inspection to tell if they are or not.

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
Ah, I did not know that. Headers will still further help it breathe though. After that I'm not too sure, I'm not real experienced with throttle bodies. There is more to them than "just getting a bigger one" though.

PI96GT

Reaction score
dont waste your time on headers unless you plan to pull the engine, it is a lot of work on a 4v.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
There are headers you can put on without pulling the motor... and sometimes all it needs is to move the motor or the tranny.. But headers will finish it up(but ude want a tune after that)..

Dont waste your money on the MAF or the TB.. It is worthless to do until you go FI.. hell our throttle body doesnt need replaced till we hit about 500hp..

more can be done to help it breath.. but you need a bigger budget and would need gears.

So go for headers and a tune...

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
headers, imrc delete, and tune, but all that would be more than 500 bux. so id prolly just do gears for now and get a speed cal or the propper speedo gear. and save up a lil longer to do all the headers imrc delete and whatever else u want and get it all tuned at once after that.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Like most said, don't touch the T/B and MAF sensor.

I'd get some gears and call it a day. It'll be a nice difference. Oh and get 4.10's

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Don't bother with changing the TB, the stock one is fine. If your budget is $500 I'd do a gear swap and buy a dallas speedcal to correct the speedo after the gear swap. As for gears, do at least 4.10s or 4.30s (don't fear the gear). Also, check to see if your IMRC's are still working and if they aren't then make yourself some IMRc deletes.

OP
OP
W

Woodysiphone

Reaction score
Mystic SVT said:
Don't bother with changing the TB, the stock one is fine. If your budget is $500 I'd do a gear swap and buy a dallas speedcal to correct the speedo after the gear swap. As for gears, do at least 4.10s or 4.30s (don't fear the gear). Also, check to see if your IMRC's are still working and if they aren't then make yourself some IMRc deletes.
This is my DD I do fear 4:10s or 4:30s. I drive 60 miles a day all but 4 miles of it is at 70+ mph.I also have a F-350 4X4 Turbo Diesel to drive in bad weather but it's just not as fun to drive as the Cobra. How do I check my IMRC?? I am a aviation aircraft machinist for American Airlines and can make anything I need. I have seen a pic of IMRC delete on line and I could make that very easily.Billet FTW!!

schacher94gt

Reaction score
dont waste your time checking to see if your IMRC work just do the delete. 4.10s ftw. It wont affect your highway mpgs that much. I still pulled at least 24 on the highway doin 70+

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
^ i degress on my headers option... deffinately do gears(dont fear the gear in the 4vs).. You will need the gears later on down the road with IMRC deletes and a short runner intake aways.. So get them now.

then wait for a bigger budget to do the rest and get it tuned all at once as stated before

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
I agree with the gears and speedcal option, since you already have a good start! but none of this will make a difference unless you have a good clutch that will put the power to the ground. I just installed a new Ram Hd Clutch and have a BBK cai, imrc deletes, bbk catless h pipe, and a 2.5 flowmaster cat back, and 3:73's, speed cal, and the car felt good! but once I did the new clutch the car now feels like a whole new animal!

mods are good but need supporting mods in order for you to feel a difference! you will be amazed as long as you have the right mods!

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Woodysyphone, 4.10s are what these cars need and on the highway going 70mph you'll be just fine. I agree with Venomous cobra on getting a good clutch, you can have all the power you'll want but if you don't have a good enough clutch then all that power is worthless

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I run 3:73's and they are just fine. I did not do a speedcal, I did a speedo gear swap in the trans and the speedo is on. Anything more than 3:73's you need a speedcal, you can't get a speedo drive gear.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
I run 3:73's and they are just fine. I did not do a speedcal, I did a speedo gear swap in the trans and the speedo is on. Anything more than 3:73's you need a speedcal, you can't get a speedo drive gear.

my car has a 7 and 23 tooth speedo gear which is a 4.10 drive gear. but i have 3.73's so my speedo reads low

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
If he just does gears, hell be fine with his current clutch.. hes not putting any more HP down that stock.. nor is he putting down gobs of power period..

I do agree a good clutch will go a long way.. but with his budget and current mods, is not needed ide say

OP
OP
W

Woodysiphone

Reaction score
The previous owner put a King Cobra Clutch in it right before I bought it so the clutch issue is solved. I am now fully convinced that I need gears hehe. Everyone says 4:10s. What kind of RPM will it turn at 70mph and also with 3:73s. I am leaning more toward 3:73s to retain drivability but 4:10s are not completely out of the picture. The ultimate plan involves a T-56 6 speed swap so I might do 3:73 now and 4:10 after the 6 speed swap.

Every time I think I have the master plan all figured out somone throws a new gear ratio in the mix. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99