Make a Cobra Breathe!!

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
if u get a t-56 ull want 4:30s.. ull want 430s later on anyways... ive seen too many people go from 410s to 430s and were pissed they even went with 410s...

but 410s are a safe bet if you are worried about it

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Woodysiphone said:
The previous owner put a King Cobra Clutch in it right before I bought it so the clutch issue is solved. I am now fully convinced that I need gears hehe. Everyone says 4:10s. What kind of RPM will it turn at 70mph and also with 3:73s. I am leaning more toward 3:73s to retain drivability but 4:10s are not completely out of the picture. The ultimate plan involves a T-56 6 speed swap so I might do 3:73 now and 4:10 after the 6 speed swap.

Every time I think I have the master plan all figured out somone throws a new gear ratio in the mix. :)

Why is it that you want a t-56? If you look the 6th gear isnt a HUGE overdrive as it is. Personally its just more stuff to break and not much gain for the swap.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
Woodysiphone said:
The previous owner put a King Cobra Clutch in it right before I bought it so the clutch issue is solved. I am now fully convinced that I need gears hehe. Everyone says 4:10s. What kind of RPM will it turn at 70mph and also with 3:73s. I am leaning more toward 3:73s to retain drivability but 4:10s are not completely out of the picture. The ultimate plan involves a T-56 6 speed swap so I might do 3:73 now and 4:10 after the 6 speed swap.

Every time I think I have the master plan all figured out somone throws a new gear ratio in the mix. :)

Why is it that you want a t-56? If you look the 6th gear isnt a HUGE overdrive as it is. Personally its just more stuff to break and not much gain for the swap.

there is if u get the viper spec.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
96_SVT_Cobra said:
Duff Daddy said:
Woodysiphone said:

there is if u get the viper spec.

I know this cowboy, but he didnt specify, nor do some people know that there is a difference. Hell your talking to teh guy who went from a 5 speed to a 3 speed :)

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
OP, 3.73s are a waste on n/a B-head cobras...once you have 4.10s in your car you will be happy that you didn't go with 3.73s. You might even want 4.30s later on...do it! DO IT!

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
headers and do it yourself in the driveway. also, adding an intake spacer to the cobra manifold isnt a bad idea. maybe 600% there. if you fear youll break something, choose a new hobby.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
3.73s arent a huge waste.. but alot of people switch from them to 4:10s or higher once they ride in someone elses car and realize they arent changing their MPG by all about of 1 mpg lol

see i know i want 4:30s.. but ill prolly end up going with 3:90s if and when it comes to it(for reasons of tracking).. but well see... god knows

snoball

Reaction score
Had 4:10s in my basically stock 96 23xxx mile cobra. Loved them. Drove one with 373s and it sucked personally.

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
Shifty Powers said:
3.73s arent a huge waste.. but alot of people switch from them to 4:10s or higher once they ride in someone elses car and realize they arent changing their MPG by all about of 1 mpg lol

I guess if you have enough transmission gear, then you're just fine. My other car is a 3spd auto, and 3.73's cause it to run pretty high at 50-60mph, which is too high to take it on the freeway. In something like our Mustangs with 4 and 5 speed transmissions, its totally different. Maybe when I get gears I'll make the jump and get 4.10's. But you also have to think about your top speed (or something like that) for quarter mile times. Too much gear in your setup and you start to lose time or mph, right? I'm not completely sure, I dont know a whole lot about it.

jabird

Reaction score
Gears don't make the engine breathe...Cold air intake with a good filter, aftermarket Mass air sensor, and a good exhaust system like SLP. Get a tune or a tuner if you are going to upgrade anything later. Gears are more if you are racing. Just saying!

massacre

Reaction score
JiMi_DRiX said:
Too much gear in your setup and you start to lose time or mph, right? I'm not completely sure, I dont know a whole lot about it.

Too much gear and you'll be hitting the rev limiter going through the traps.

ryclef331

Reaction score
massacre said:
JiMi_DRiX said:
Too much gear in your setup and you start to lose time or mph, right? I'm not completely sure, I dont know a whole lot about it.

Too much gear and you'll be hitting the rev limiter going through the traps.

I doubt his car will make enough power to push it to 125 in the 1/4 so that is not entirely true. 28" tall tire with 4.30s in my car put me at 127 in the 1/4 with the shift light coming on just before the last cone. I doubt that will be an issue with his car. Gears will only help

Blind

Reaction score
I was very happy with the improvement that 4.30 gears gave my car, 4v, IMRC deletes, BBK fenderwell CAI, BBK 2.5" o/r H-pipe, Dynomax 2.5" superturbo catback.

It pulls 24mpg on highway going 75mph, I have a Dallas Mustang speedcal to fix the speedo, and it matches exactly to my GPS and radar signs on the side of the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.