mid pipe question

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
does the gt midpipe fit the v6 without modification or does the v6 require a different midpipe if going to true duals.
also, if using an off road mid pipe, can you use the mil eliminators for the 4.6 to take care of the lack of cats or are the plugs different. thanks.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The gt mid pipe will not fit due to a few reasons. Im not sure about the mil eliminators but I dont see why the o2 sensor connectors would be different.

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
thanks, figured that it wouldn't without modifying it but was not sure. as to the mil's all I know is that when I check the fitment like on e-bay for the mil's, it says it is not compatible and I don't know why.

07GtS197

Reaction score
thanks, figured that it wouldn't without modifying it but was not sure. as to the mil's all I know is that when I check the fitment like on e-bay for the mil's, it says it is not compatible and I don't know why.

No problem. Yea I find that odd because they should be the same. Even the ones on AM’s website say all

https://www.americanmuscle.com/stmilel.html#productInfo

The two reasons a gt mid pipe wont work on a v6 is because the down pipes are in different spots because the 4.6 is a lot wider than the 3.8 and the flanges m, Im assuming, are not the same. One from a pushrod might fit the 3.8 because the deck heights are similar but thats a stretch. There is a kit that a few places have where you cut the y pipe and clamp in and h which allows you to use a gt cat back.

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Thankx!!! my son wants more noise from his. I put the mac y pipe duals on it and it sounds pretty good but he wants louder (of course!!!) so was looking at getting a mid pipe and then have someone modify what we have to hook it up.

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
...and mac makes an off road h for it so I could get that, but then the no cat deal would set off the cel. so was going to get the mil's as the 3.9 does not have a tuner I know of that will allow for changes like that. I got the superchips tuner for him to load a performance tune in it but it does not have any allowances to shut off the sensors.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Which tuner is it? Mil eliminators are hit or miss. The ones in my 02 usually work but will occasionally set off the cel. You can make your own for less than a set.

As far as exhaust goes as you know sound is subjective but I will tell you I love the sound of dumps and its probably loud enough for your son lol. Im running no axle backs on my 07 so its like being dumped just after the axle. Its loud but tame with the m80s and sounds awesome.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I always try to keep the V6's quiet unless it's stroked/cammed, etc. They tend to get a rough noise without cats so I would be careful about that.

I had a custom H made back in the day and I put a MAC catback from a junkyard cobra on. I thought it sounded VERY good

bmcgc

Reaction score
Forget the MIL eliminators.

Go to AZ and buy a package of 2 spark plug extenders for $6.

Drill them out to 1/2in.

Install them in the midpipe in the bungs that would be downstream of the cats.

Extend your 02 sensor wires by 20in.

No check engine light. The spark plug extenders get the 02 sensor out of the exhaust stream.

Did this on my daughters 04 V6. Works perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online