Misfire no cel very frustrating.... please help

07GtS197

Reaction score
What brand is the alternator? Its actually a common thing for alternators to die even right out of the box for these cars.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I ordered a 96-98 alternator from summit racing back 2010 I believe, its been great from day one.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Honestly Im surprised. Just google alternator sn95 and see all the posts of people buying alternators for these cars that are DOA lol. Honestly Id get one from a u pull and maybe check the brushes before throwing it on. The reason I say that is because theyre cheap and at least it can go towards a core if it doesnt work, not to mention the hassle of having to get a replacement for a new alternator.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I vowed never to buy rebuilt units. I had one for mustang, and my Audi and they both failed lol.

OP
OP
T

thatone1320copcar

Reaction score
Had alt tested its fine. Decatted and the r is running better and reving more freely. Still running rough till 2k rpm. But over l better without the cats. Car runs better with maf unplugged but with it plugged in idles like crap. Inlet temps of cats was almost 400° and the outlet temps were 120° which is no good. Rear cats had an inlet of 90° and an outlet of 80°

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Had alt tested its fine. Decatted and the r is running better and reving more freely. Still running rough till 2k rpm. But over l better without the cats. Car runs better with maf unplugged but with it plugged in idles like crap. Inlet temps of cats was almost 400° and the outlet temps were 120° which is no good. Rear cats had an inlet of 90° and an outlet of 80°

Install a high quality catted H or X-pipe but make sure that it is issue before your drop 500 bucks on stain steel unit.

OP
OP
T

thatone1320copcar

Reaction score
Figured id swapbplugs after all this and no cel anymore and they were BLACK!!! And 3 were completly soaked in fuel. And 2 have looked almost brand new

OP
OP
T

thatone1320copcar

Reaction score
Overall, car runs loads better. Not 100% yet but it runs alot better. Now it runs rough under 1k instead of the 2k rpm like before. Gonna drive it for a little and then when i get a chance pull the plugs and see how they look. New plugs were autolite 764 and the ones that came out were motorcraft platinum

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as a plug is soaked with fuel it is junk, it will run but not perfect. I have been down this road with a master mechanic whose job it was the diagnose problems in new engines of all different brands for a national rebuilder and "washed plugs" was the culprit so many times I was flabbergasted. The things I saw that I thought had to be a lifter or O2 or MAF that were confirmed by dealers turned out to be soaked plugs, his advice was to have plenty of cheap copper type and keep changing them frequently until you get everything straight and then go to your high dollar favz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online