Modifying for nothing?

coats04

Reaction score
i bought a 97 gt a couple of months ago too.mine is forsale due to being a gutless wonder.

i did the following

pi intake/cams
o/r x-pipe
subframes
3:73 gears
pro 5.0 shifter
dd bullitts with 315/35 nitto dr's

on a cold night 2 weeks ago at the track i tried every way to get that car out of the whole and never got better than a 2.0 60'
i was cutting good lights but the car was just slow as hell.trap speeds where 93-95 all night long.best 1/4 time was 14.75 @ 94

you will have to put some serious money in your car to make it "fast".there was a twin 62mm '04 gt out there that was only going 12.2 @124 mph. i know LS1 6SPD CAMARO WITH EXHAUST AND 4:10'S WILL GO RIGHT INTO THE 12'S.SEEN IT MORE THAN ONCE.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
coats04 said:
i bought a 97 gt a couple of months ago too.mine is forsale due to being a gutless wonder.

i did the following

pi intake/cams
o/r x-pipe
subframes
pro 5.0 shifter

on a cold night 2 weeks ago at the track i tried every way to get that car out of the whole and never got better than a 2.0 60'
i was cutting good lights but the car was just slow as hell.trap speeds where 93-95 all night long.best 1/4 time was 14.75 @ 94

you will have to put some serious money in your car to make it "fast".there was a twin 62mm '04 gt out there that was only going 12.2 @124 mph. i know LS1 6SPD CAMARO WITH EXHAUST AND 4:10'S WILL GO RIGHT INTO THE 12'S.SEEN IT MORE THAN ONCE.

either driver error or somethigns seriously wrong.. my stock automatic with a shift kit, and all the mods minus the headers in my sig went 14.5s.. i was cutting 2.1 60 foots

voidfinger

Reaction score
well i can tell you something, the cars are slow. I'm not going to lie, i was killed the other night by a early gtp "the one with the supercharger" and an Integra with just an intake and exaust. Now, i have a 98 gt with a PI intake , mac prochamber, mac catback and it was fresh with new oil, plugs, and such. The gtp in the stock form that it was , was running 13.8 at the track... he tore me a new one and then left off the line, the integra i thought was going to be a dog off the line but i was wrong. It left me also... never fell behind not even ones. O just so you know, i have an automatic which is suppose to be a good launcher also since i've beaten a couple 5 speed coupes with the same set up as mine. O and i have a vert.

Regardless, i love my car and its my baby so i'm doing a 4v swap with a t45 and some steep gears. Now, if you don't give a shit about mustangs and such and just want to be fast... then get a ls1 camero or t/a . I like the cars too, but i can't deal with the fact their cars with all that power has a rear end the size of a v6 stang.

1 idea if you want to go fast for cheap on your car... good set up is, PI H/C/I ... exaust ... "if auto" stall, shift kit, cooler, and 4.10's or "if manual" short throw and gears with a good clutch. M/T Drag Radials and a 100 / 125 / 150 shot of n2o. n2o is nice on our cars... 600 bucks for an extra 125 rwhp :)

But don't take my word for it... so i will stop my "write up " lol

O i almost forgot... the key word is "TUNE TUNE TUNE" don't do a lot of that list with out getting it tuned... dead cars isn't fun.

Passenger

Reaction score
Shoulda got a 5.0! :hammer:

On a little more serious side. If you complain about paying (x) amount for something and not getting gains that you expected, then the car game may not be in your best interest. lol. You gotta pay to play, ya know? Not everything is gonna be cherry all the time. That can be said with ANY car.

S

scarface

Passenger said:
Shoulda got a 5.0! :hammer:
should have bought a 4v you mean...lol I agree built is nice, but starting with a better engine is always better.

coats04

Reaction score
i couldnt get mine to hook up for crap.the track wasn't prepped that night so that didnt help at all.
i tried every way possible to get the car out of the whole.just wouldnt do it.the car runs real strong and its not driver error.its a slow car and an unprepped track in my case.however the trap speeds tell it all "94mph"="slow car"

i was so pissed,i posted it up forsale and either going to build another 5.0(since i have the goodies already)or might buy a 6spd camaro.

i just tried the 4.6 for the first time and im not impressed with it.heavier car with less motor,and a pita to work on=crap

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
5.0s are cheaper to buy than 4v's generally speaking. Both can be made fast with not too much money. One nice thing is 5.0s don't "need" a 4.10+ gear to run well.

OP
OP
L

low9sGT hahajk

Reaction score
Whew! Man..OK some of you guys misunderstood me.

To whoever said something about an education: True, but I'm notorious for learning everything I can about the cars engine/drivetrain..I've had the car a couple of months and I've probably spent 1,000 hours learning about the thing through forums, writeups, etc. The problem is these weak spots it has are costly, and there are quite a few of them.

On the srt comment: True, if I were pushing 17 psi like it was, there would be no comparison. There is no replacement for displacement.

I am currently a college student with a new baby..and no, mommy and daddy don't pay my way..its all me and some financial aid haha.. so when I say easy/cheap mods to build power that's because there isn't much spare cash when you are in a situation like mine. I would rather have easy 12's and work for 11's than easy high 13's and work for 12's. But I have decided to stick with my stang..Bottom line is: even though it's lacking the power and is going to take awhile and more cash than I'd hope to build, I'm building it up. I'd planned to keep this car and after getting it out of school turn it into a barely street legal (<maybe) monster. So either way it doesn't matter. I'd just like to have a fast car now..oh well.

It's hard to have an expensive hobby with no money. But I was hoping to pull a few parts out of my butt and maybe turn a good time, but it's going to take more than that.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
you can always do junkyard mods.. theres alot of good factory parts that you can get off of factory modular fords that would work fine.. a PI swap is just stock.. and is low 13s with gears and tires

voidfinger

Reaction score
i've seen pi swapped cars going into the 13's with just the HCI... not even gears and that was on street tires. Put some gears in there and a set of sticky tires and you got a good combo...always helped by some n2o :)

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
coats04 said:

i did the following

pi intake/cams
o/r x-pipe
subframes
pro 5.0 shifter

it sounds like something is wrong with your car there...my auto with similar mods minus the cams went 14.1 at 99 with 2.1 60 and that was corrected to 13.8 you shoul be trapping high 90s

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
low9sGT hahajk said:
a PI swap is just stock.. and is low 13s with gears and tires
Really?..I've heard it was a 13.5-13.8 AT BEST

you cant go by a PI motor, have to go by a PI swap car.. since compression is different and in a sn95 it's lighter. It's not difficult to get a coupe PI gt into the low 13s.. i'm swapping in a PI motor and 5 speed and am looking for atleast low 13s with my mods. I'm dropping my ET streets on it to help the equation.. so we shall see. Seems like me and justin have good luck with auto gt's.. both running relatively good times for the car's mods.. i'm close minus the intake and headers and just a different tuner. Oh well good luck, i believe in my car and that it is capable of better times then what it does now.. it's stronger then the average bear

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
5.0s are cheaper to buy than 4v's generally speaking. Both can be made fast with not too much money. One nice thing is 5.0s don't "need" a 4.10+ gear to run well.
niether do 4Vs...but 5.0s have low end grunt and 4Vs have high end power.

S

scarface

OnyxCobra said:
For the record, a 4v doesnt need those gears to run well, it just makes them amazing. I out ran my buddies modded fox when i was just intake and exhaust, with stock gears... you would really need to ride in one to understand. I had the same general perspective of a 4v as you until I bought one.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
V said:
low9sGT hahajk said:

you cant go by a PI motor, have to go by a PI swap car.. since compression is different and in a sn95 it's lighter. It's not difficult to get a coupe PI gt into the low 13s.. i'm swapping in a PI motor and 5 speed and am looking for atleast low 13s with my mods. I'm dropping my ET streets on it to help the equation.. so we shall see. Seems like me and justin have good luck with auto gt's.. both running relatively good times for the car's mods.. i'm close minus the intake and headers and just a different tuner. Oh well good luck, i believe in my car and that it is capable of better times then what it does now.. it's stronger then the average bear

Yea..I hope that with pi swap I can get low 13s.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
V said:
low9sGT hahajk said:

get rid of those 3.73's and get 4.10's

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
SilverSol said:
justinschmidt1 said:
V said:
low9sGT hahajk said:

get rid of those 3.73's and get 4.10's

haha..I thought about it...but how much would it really help me..probably a tenth or two at max. Not worth it for me. besides I think im going to get a nitrous kit and will need my third gear to go up to 120 like it does now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online