Modifying for nothing?

coats04

Reaction score
i just have a hard time being anxious to hit 13's.woohooo im in the 13's? :lame:

brother inlaw ran his 4.3l s-10 and did 14.80's

my z71 is probably faster than my stang,thats just sick :puke:

i love the sn95's but next time it will be a 94/95 forsure.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
coats04 said:
i just have a hard time being anxious to hit 13's.woohooo im in the 13's? :lame:

brother inlaw ran his 4.3l s-10 and did 14.80's

my z71 is probably faster than my stang,thats just sick :puke:

i love the sn95's but next time it will be a 94/95 forsure.

get a 4V next time ;D

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
umm I really hope your z71 is not as fast as your stang

So if you were looking for a car to be fast stock and be into the 12s like nothing......why on earth did you buy a npi gt?...

Why not get a 96-98 cobra?.

You cant compare a 2v npi gt to ls1's A fairer comparison would be a 96-98 cobra.

I would imagine with 4.30s and sticky tires you could get a 96-98 cobra damn near 12s if not into the 12s.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
you buy a NPI gt because you like them, and see their potential... they are not the fastest thing on earth by no means.. so either you were blinded or just not thinking when you bought it, because you aparently dont care for them

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea..what he said...I just wanted the body style...wish I would have found a cobra.

voidfinger

Reaction score
lol, i find it funny that the 4v cobra was made to run with the lt1 camaro's and then what? the next year chevy came out with the ls1... I guess ford just said... f* it, then in 2003 they said haha lets put a supercharger on so it will hang with camaro's

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dave said:
OnyxCobra said:
5.0s are cheaper to buy than 4v's generally speaking. Both can be made fast with not too much money. One nice thing is 5.0s don't "need" a 4.10+ gear to run well.
For the record, a 4v doesnt need those gears to run well, it just makes them amazing. I out ran my buddies modded fox when i was just intake and exhaust, with stock gears... you would really need to ride in one to understand. I had the same general perspective of a 4v as you until I bought one.

Well unless the fox had a heads/cam/intake swap a slightly modded 4v is obviously gonna spank it. i was just making a generalization because last time i questioned low gears for a 4v everyone was saying how they loved low gears. I have ridden in several 4v Stangs, i understand. Keep in mind many 5.0s came with 2.73 gears stock and also with 3.08s, while the 4.6s come with 3.27s and 3.55s for the most part. Stock 5.0s are pretty pathetic when compared to 4v Mustangs.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Dave said:
OnyxCobra said:
5.0s are cheaper to buy than 4v's generally speaking. Both can be made fast with not too much money. One nice thing is 5.0s don't "need" a 4.10+ gear to run well.
For the record, a 4v doesnt need those gears to run well, it just makes them amazing. I out ran my buddies modded fox when i was just intake and exhaust, with stock gears... you would really need to ride in one to understand. I had the same general perspective of a 4v as you until I bought one.

Well unless the fox had a heads/cam/intake swap a slightly modded 4v is obviously gonna spank it. i was just making a generalization because last time i questioned low gears for a 4v everyone was saying how they loved low gears. I have ridden in several 4v Stangs, i understand. Keep in mind many 5.0s came with 2.73 gears stock and also with 3.08s, while the 4.6s come with 3.27s and 3.55s for the most part. Stock 5.0s are pretty pathetic when compared to 4v Mustangs.

my GT has stock 2.73's :'(

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
SilverSol said:
OnyxCobra said:
Dave said:
OnyxCobra said:

my GT has stock 2.73's :'(

+1 :slap:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You guy's are overlooking something here, or I was at any rate. You guy's buying these NPI car's right now are paying what 5-6k, for really nice ones? So what do you expect, the car look's good, get's ahead of traffic, and does it fairly economically.And without the cheesy falling apart interior, weak ass rear-end, and miles of plastic dash. And Yes I actually drove LT1 car's new on the lot before I bought my 97 new, and came to that conclusion. I also put 100k on the car and never had one single problem that wasn't caused by abuse, except the intake with was replaced under warrantee

As to performance, Coats you buddy needs to learn how to friggin drive. I know a guy with a NPI auto stang, with bolt-on's and cam's (Not portwork, No PI-head swap, no power adder), that can touch high 12's on a good day. You guy's could duplicate his set-up for about 1500 buck's. But going down the low et road will subtract from handling and pleasantness to cruise...

Honestly, for the track, 4.10's are too much gear for NPI 4.6's, they don't breathe well enough to use that much gear. Get into cam's and intake, then you can use 4.10's more effectively. 5 speed guy's, with 4.10's, you'll be out of first before you realize it to shift.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah the older GTs came with pretty high gears, I was talkin more the new ones and the 4v's.

Jrgunn you bring up a good point. Even my friends bolt on 03 GT with 4.10s seemed to run out of breath early on in the 1/4. It felt really strong til about half way through 3rd and then it seemed to fall on it's face. He was cutting 1.8 60' and running 13.5 @ 100, it just seemed like it started a lot stronger than it finished.

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
What do you guys think about 3.90's? Are the ending speeds awkward..not a lot of people use them?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
SgtMike said:
What do you guys think about 3.90's? Are the ending speeds awkward..not a lot of people use them?

I think people usually don't go with those because FRPP gears are supposed to be better/easier to install than say Motive gears.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yep, my last set came with a little M stamped on them. 3.90 is a good gear, people just aren't familar with it, it's really a great compromise.