Modifying for nothing?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Goldmember said:
A '96 Mustang GT 5-speed can crack off a 0-60 in six flat? The absolute fastest I've EVER seen for a stock '96 GT is 6.7 0-60 and ~15.2 in the quarter. (A well-tuned Mark VIII can keep right up) The PI 99+ cars will do 6 flat or better to 60 and ~14.1-14.5 in the quarter (depending on magazine, for example, Motor Trend won't get a quicker time out of it than say Muscle Mustangs).

As for the interior gripes, I must disagree- maybe the plastics aren't that great but the SN95/New Edge design is the best of any Mustang before and since. Everything is easy to reach- no complaints from a functionality/practicality standpoint. Far, far better than the F-Bodies. I don't think there was any such thing as a truly good GM interior back in the 90s... the Bonneville SSE I had was utterly awful, to name an example. Wasn't impressed with my dad's '94 Eldorado either. Recognized the turn stalk in that $40K+ barge from my '85 Cutlass... same exact part! Don't get me started on the fact that GM had to toss that awful hump in the passenger-side floor just to clear the catalytic converter.

I get ~17 MPG not bad considering my round trip to/from work is 9 miles, features numerous traffic lights, and is not long enough for the car to truly warm up in colder weather. (I take it out for a longer ride 1x/week to get it good and hot). I shift between 2500 and 3000 RPM for the most part. Ride is tolerable- better than the Fox cars- even though I'm in dire need of new struts lol...

"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Dude...pretty much everyone runs faster than 15.2 with a stock npi. Theres a bunch of people with faster than normal npis running 14.5-14.7 bone stock.. Hell my auto stock with long tubes ran 14.6 at 96. I seriously doubt long tubes made me gain .6
Most people run high 14s to mid 14s with a 5 speed and good driver. There are plenty of pi cars that ran 13s stock.

With a n/a 96-98 gt I wouldnt shoot for any faster than a mid to low 13 which would only happend with some bolt ons and a pi swap. If you want to go faster your gonna want to look into some sort of power adder.

Goldmember

Reaction score
Dude...pretty much everyone runs faster than 15.2 with a stock npi. Theres a bunch of people with faster than normal npis running 14.5-14.7 bone stock.. Hell my auto stock with long tubes ran 14.6 at 96. I seriously doubt long tubes made me gain .6
Most people run high 14s to mid 14s with a 5 speed and good driver. There are plenty of pi cars that ran 13s stock.

With a n/a 96-98 gt I wouldnt shoot for any faster than a mid to low 13 which would only happend with some bolt ons and a pi swap. If you want to go faster your gonna want to look into some sort of power adder.

I was just going off published specs for the car. Obviously the magazine guys, except say MMFF, do not flog the hell out of the cars in search of lowest ET... Just like those LS1 Camaros were running deep into the 13's in the mags but they've been driven into the 12's...

coats04

Reaction score
V said:
if he takes your old car, tunes it and gets it right.. and then kicks your ass in it, that'll be a hell of a story and a laugh :hammer:

definetly wont happen,ive already got everything to make the foxbody rip,and that car with a tune wont be able to touch this car.

gt96stang

Reaction score
SilverSol said:
voidfinger said:
SilverSol said:
voidfinger said:
lol not yet, i'm trying to decide if i want 4.10's or 4.30's... i'm going 4v so i want a lot of gear. Plus i'm doing the 5 speed swap and i'm gonna hate the hills lol.

i hear 4.30's are what you want for a 4v

YEP YEP YEP :) i think thats what i'm going with... just don't know since i want to spray it too.

that's a tuffy :dunno: don't want to run out of gear....

You can always change your tire setup to accommodate lower gears

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
What other cars are you comparing it too? Its a 10 year old car so comparing it to todays cars isn't really fair. Do your research and find out the best ways to get your car where you want it. You can do a PI H/C/I swap for about $1000 if you do the work yourself and gears/midpipe are gonna be another $600 or so...that right there will get you into the 13's if you can drive and get some traction.
The minor boltons do nothing for these cars and the stock Intake and Cams are just junk so ditch them.

This is why I made you a Mod DT O0

Good info in this thread guys, and to the author, it's a tough spot if you don't have the budget for mods.
new kid, family ect, you'll be waiting years.
I say that because that's what I went through.
We can give you some good suggestions ect. there's really a number of ways to go, and it's interrelated to the rest of your car.
you need to decide how much money you can drop, and what your goals are to get some usefull direction.

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
L

low9sGT hahajk

Reaction score
This thing became a monster! Anyway, I haven't participated much throughout this post, but I have been reading (just never needing to reply haha). I've found my choice setup for the next couple of months, which will go in this order: Full PI swap, 3.73's, rim + tire combo. It's not much but should be manageable financially and give me nice gains!
Dalamar - I suppose me juggling a tough major in college, work (what I can..:nonono:), and my family is why I was a little down on my car since I don't have much time/money to throw at it for a few years, which is why I would like to have some easy, big gains. On the other hand I love working on my car and feeling/seeing improvements that I made, so it's all good. O0

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
low9sGT hahajk said:
This thing became a monster! Anyway, I haven't participated much throughout this post, but I have been reading (just never needing to reply haha). I've found my choice setup for the next couple of months, which will go in this order: Full PI swap, 3.73's, rim + tire combo. It's not much but should be manageable financially and give me nice gains!
Dalamar - I suppose me juggling a tough major in college, work (what I can..:nonono:), and my family is why I was a little down on my car since I don't have much time/money to throw at it for a few years, which is why I would like to have some easy, big gains. On the other hand I love working on my car and feeling/seeing improvements that I made, so it's all good. O0

glad to hear it! ;D

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
low9sGT hahajk said:

our situations are similar but im in highschool... my daughter is now 3 weeks old and ive been debating selling the car since she was born, put it up for sale, test drove a couple other things, and in reality nothing could be more practical for what i need from a car...

OP
OP
L

low9sGT hahajk

Reaction score
nes said:
low9sGT hahajk said:

our situations are similar but im in highschool... my daughter is now 3 weeks old and ive been debating selling the car since she was born, put it up for sale, test drove a couple other things, and in reality nothing could be more practical for what i need from a car...

Cool, my son is 6 months old now. About your car: if it needs to go for your daughters well-being, then sell it. If not- keep it, you'll need a break/release from all the late nights and crazy stuff to come haha (trust me). My car is my therapist right now :D...You'll find yourself on track to accomplish more than you ever thought you would, because having a baby (I admit, unprepared) will kick your ass into high gear to make life easy for them. And if it hasn't kicked you in the ass, then someone needs to haha. :hammer:

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
low9sGT hahajk said:
nes said:
low9sGT hahajk said:

Cool, my son is 6 months old now. About your car: if it needs to go for your daughters well-being, then sell it. If not- keep it, you'll need a break/release from all the late nights and crazy stuff to come haha (trust me). My car is my therapist right now :D...You'll find yourself on track to accomplish more than you ever thought you would, because having a baby (I admit, unprepared) will kick your ass into high gear to make life easy for them. And if it hasn't kicked you in the ass, then someone needs to haha. :hammer:

it doesnt NEED to go, but damnit its a good excuse for it too :D. sometimes i kick myself in the ass for buying it, but my whole thing right now is getting outta a carpayment. trust me i was probably the most mentally prepared person ever, didnt even break of sweat, but got 2 jobs, and go to school currently, graduate in a month and will be around for her every minute of the day. it kicked me into highgear but you can only move so fast when your 17...

voidfinger

Reaction score
nes said:
low9sGT hahajk said:
nes said:
low9sGT hahajk said:

it doesnt NEED to go, but damnit its a good excuse for it too :D. sometimes i kick myself in the ass for buying it, but my whole thing right now is getting outta a carpayment. trust me i was probably the most mentally prepared person ever, didnt even break of sweat, but got 2 jobs, and go to school currently, graduate in a month and will be around for her every minute of the day. it kicked me into highgear but you can only move so fast when your 17...

Well if you sell the car... let me get that powerdyne :)

Purple97GT

Reaction score
To the dude that traded for the fox...

Take it to the track and run it with the old car. We need slips, not street race clips. :thumb:

Corbic

Reaction score
Goldmember said:

I was just going off published specs for the car. Obviously the magazine guys, except say MMFF, do not flog the hell out of the cars in search of lowest ET... Just like those LS1 Camaros were running deep into the 13's in the mags but they've been driven into the 12's...

Its actually quite the opposite. Magazine times are typically hard to get for a normal driver because we actually care about the car.

Your typical 0-60 for a mag review involves transmission eating clutch drops and 1/4 are typically all or nothing affairs.

A 1999 PI Mustang will be about 5.5 0-60 and 14.1 in the quarter. Which makes sense given its increase in power.

Corbic

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Corbic said:
I've only had my car for about 3 months now, and I too kick my self in the ass every now and then.

Piss poor handling and ancient suspension...

215hp out of a V8 that drinks gas at 18-20mpg... ugly interior..mushy steering, odd seating position..

But then again, for less then two and half grand, what the hell else can you get? A gutless 110hp Civic? A busted Caviliar?

Sure if I saved a few more pennies and shopped around I could score an LT1 F-body for 3k, but... yeah.. even worse interior, horrid visibility, wedge shape styling.. and reliability that makes the Mustang look like a '90 Corrola.

The Mustang is cheaper than the F-body and more practical, it has better visability, better seating and only uses regular gas. It made compromises to appeal to a wider range of buyers, and that is why the Mustang is still in production and GM is going to be once again late to the game with the reintroduction of the Camaro..

1996 Mustang GT stock is basically 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 in 15

1996 Camaro was around 0-60 in 5.7 and 1/4 in 14.1

(per C&D)

1996 Turbo DSM (Talon/Eclipse) do 6.4 to 60 and 15 in the 1/4

There is not a whole lot out there in that time frame that was "blistering" fast, in fact, that WAS fast.

As for power-adders, I think the only real disadvantage the Mustang has over other cars (S13s, Hondas, DSMs) is you can't slap on a turbo for $1,000, swap in a engine with dramatic results for $2,600, or crank up the boost for $800 and see huge gains.

well first off, the 96-98 handled great... almost comprable to the camero...

Now the sn95 interior is one of the best american interiors out there... unless you want to talk about bmw and lexus or some other luxery cars.

??? i get 24/27 mpg... in my 225 hp 98 gt... vert auto...

Also, whats wrong with the seating in the mustang? a lot better than most the other cars out there.

Looks to me like you wanted a bmw or something... :dunno:

Handles great... compared to what, an F150 a busted leaf-spring?

I currently also own a 240sx which replaced a FC RX-7.. those handle great. Sure a Mustang has plenty of potential, but they start at a huge disadvantage thanks to the 1978 suspension technology... ever wonder why Integra owners never talk about Bump-Steer, or why 240 guys have no clue what a lower-spindle is, and no body in the import scene worries about sub-frame connectors?

Lets not forget the over-boosted, floaty, spongy steering... mmm aircraft carrier.

As for the interior..
Steering wheel... its the same god damn one in my sister Taurus.. or at least close. I hate 4-spoke jobs and these are just huge and squishy. :eek:utofcloset: Other than that, lay out is good, colors are ok, I tore the center console out on my car to give it a more vintage feel.

As for seating position... they don't slide back far enough. I'm 6'5 and I'm not the only one that hits the power slide and goes "thats it?!" every time I get in. Stock Mach sound system is outstanding (for factory). O0

And while I do like the BMW E36, I am satisfied with my Mustang. I new all of these short comings when I bought the car, they just seem to have a pleasant quirkiness. Fun to drive, the privative nature of the beast makes it easy to work on, huge inexpensive aftermarket and parts support, not to mention great and diverse communities dedicated to them. (Euro owners are typically :eek:utofcloset: and Rotary guys are elitist to the point of nasium)

tooslow

Reaction score
about the impoty guys not needing extra chassis support as stangs do, i wouldn't imagine any FWD car would have to deal with that sort of flex. also, not very many i-4 240's produce enough torque to start twisting anything anyways.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
tooslow said:
about the impoty guys not needing extra chassis support as stangs do, i wouldn't imagine any FWD car would have to deal with that sort of flex. also, not very many i-4 240's produce enough torque to start twisting anything anyways.

+1

voidfinger

Reaction score
Corbic said:
voidfinger said:
Corbic said:
I've only had my car for about 3 months now, and I too kick my self in the ass every now and then.

Piss poor handling and ancient suspension...

215hp out of a V8 that drinks gas at 18-20mpg... ugly interior..mushy steering, odd seating position..

But then again, for less then two and half grand, what the hell else can you get? A gutless 110hp Civic? A busted Caviliar?

Sure if I saved a few more pennies and shopped around I could score an LT1 F-body for 3k, but... yeah.. even worse interior, horrid visibility, wedge shape styling.. and reliability that makes the Mustang look like a '90 Corrola.

The Mustang is cheaper than the F-body and more practical, it has better visability, better seating and only uses regular gas. It made compromises to appeal to a wider range of buyers, and that is why the Mustang is still in production and GM is going to be once again late to the game with the reintroduction of the Camaro..

1996 Mustang GT stock is basically 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 in 15

1996 Camaro was around 0-60 in 5.7 and 1/4 in 14.1

(per C&D)

1996 Turbo DSM (Talon/Eclipse) do 6.4 to 60 and 15 in the 1/4

There is not a whole lot out there in that time frame that was "blistering" fast, in fact, that WAS fast.

As for power-adders, I think the only real disadvantage the Mustang has over other cars (S13s, Hondas, DSMs) is you can't slap on a turbo for $1,000, swap in a engine with dramatic results for $2,600, or crank up the boost for $800 and see huge gains.

well first off, the 96-98 handled great... almost comprable to the camero...

Now the sn95 interior is one of the best american interiors out there... unless you want to talk about bmw and lexus or some other luxery cars.

??? i get 24/27 mpg... in my 225 hp 98 gt... vert auto...

Also, whats wrong with the seating in the mustang? a lot better than most the other cars out there.

Looks to me like you wanted a bmw or something... :dunno:

Handles great... compared to what, an F150 a busted leaf-spring?

I currently also own a 240sx which replaced a FC RX-7.. those handle great. Sure a Mustang has plenty of potential, but they start at a huge disadvantage thanks to the 1978 suspension technology... ever wonder why Integra owners never talk about Bump-Steer, or why 240 guys have no clue what a lower-spindle is, and no body in the import scene worries about sub-frame connectors?

Lets not forget the over-boosted, floaty, spongy steering... mmm aircraft carrier.

As for the interior..
Steering wheel... its the same god damn one in my sister Taurus.. or at least close. I hate 4-spoke jobs and these are just huge and squishy. :eek:utofcloset: Other than that, lay out is good, colors are ok, I tore the center console out on my car to give it a more vintage feel.

As for seating position... they don't slide back far enough. I'm 6'5 and I'm not the only one that hits the power slide and goes "thats it?!" every time I get in. Stock Mach sound system is outstanding (for factory). O0

And while I do like the BMW E36, I am satisfied with my Mustang. I new all of these short comings when I bought the car, they just seem to have a pleasant quirkiness. Fun to drive, the privative nature of the beast makes it easy to work on, huge inexpensive aftermarket and parts support, not to mention great and diverse communities dedicated to them. (Euro owners are typically :eek:utofcloset: and Rotary guys are elitist to the point of nasium)

I've out handled a lot of 240's and my g/f has one so i know the way they handle and i would be scared to drive one b/c i think they are shit. My car out handles and outbrakes hers not to mention out runs hers. I've out handled many many many a car, so the comment about an f150... i guess they must handle pretty good then. Also, i'll tell you why they never talk about bump steer and sub frames... first the sub frames aren't really needed on a fwd car b/c the power doesn't go to the back... the back of the car is just along for the ride and the reason no one speaks about bump stear or even cc plates is b/c they like the way their wheels sit with the bottom poken out and the top tucked in at about a 25 degree angle. Now what is wrong with a power steering ? seriously its suppose to be boosted. Maybe you would like my 64 chevy truck with manual steering ... good work out there. Makes me like mine. O and they make seat frames for overly tall people also. Not that bad if i remember correctly but you wont have a back seat though. I just don't understand what the deal is? do you want to drive the mustang or not? is so then the small stuff don't sweat... if you get angry at anything get angry at the fact that the motor has the hp of a damn 3.0 v6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online