Modifying for nothing?

coats04

Reaction score
lets talk motor options here.without braking the bank...

you have pi2v motors
4v from the mark8
pi swapped npi

anyone here done the mark8 motor swap?

can you get 350-400 n/a hp from any of these?

voidfinger

Reaction score
coats04 said:
lets talk motor options here.without braking the bank...

you have pi2v motors
4v from the mark8
pi swapped npi

anyone here done the mark8 motor swap?

can you get 350-400 n/a hp from any of these?

I'm working on the 4v from the mark 8... i'm taking my time and doing it right... its going to be flat topped pistons so around 11 or so to 1 cr... then i'm doing cams, and some port work on the thing with a 5 angle valve job.... along with a 150 hp wet shot....

With the 4v you could hit 350 hp rather easy... if you use cobra stuff... you have 305 flywheel hp to start with... good cam will give you some good power, electric water pump, porting and polishing, different stuff and yea you should be able to hit that.

coats04

Reaction score
took a shot of whiskey grabbed a smoke and walked out side and was checking out my car,damn that bitch is sexy!

how about throwing the pi heads on with alittle port work and juicing it 150 shot?

voidfinger

Reaction score
should be nice... even though, with out a forged bottom or at least forged rods... i wouldn't go over a 100/125 shot. Also, yea do the heads P&P and cams, and the shot with some gears ... should be nice. :)

coats04

Reaction score
sumbitch! drink a little whiskey and the stang starts talkin to me!

i have to figure this thing out alot of people looking down on my car right now.i need to come back and bust some ass. :slap:

voidfinger

Reaction score
coats04 said:
sumbitch! drink a little whiskey and the stang starts talkin to me!

i have to figure this thing out alot of people looking down on my car right now.i need to come back and bust some ass. :slap:

I feel ya, i'm getting my ass handed to me by cars that i laughed at... i got some problems i need to chase down on the car before i do much work to it... but since i got the pi heads/cams and intake... i think i'm going to go on and do the swap... then build my 4v up some more... then put the 2v out and sell the pi head swapped 2v :) hopefully make some money if its still in good shape... i need a dependable dd so i think nothing wild now :)

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
nes said:
just to cheer some npi2v angries up, mine went 14.3 at 96 in pretty stock form with the addition of an xpipe and a intake(custom done with some pvc piping and a k&n filter). its really in how well you drive it, it also spanked a bolton lt1 car with a built tranny when it was NA... maybe you guys need to practice some more if you believe that the gt wasnt able to compete with the lt1.... :dunno:

are you sure it wasn't a v6? or was he just messing with you? Just wondering b/c my friend has a bolt on lt1 with a cam and it put down 36X rwhp on a dynojet... my car put down 185 rwhp on a mustang dyno sooo maybe 200 on a dyno jet... I just don't see the two running close at all.... but yea, he's in the high 12's...

positive, i even posted a video of it, from a 40-100 mph roll, cars arent always what they are cracked up to be, i believe his best pass was a 14.2 before he put the stall in, bottom line is our cars with minimal mods and good drivers are capable of handing it to them.

Purple97GT

Reaction score
coats04 said:
took a shot of whiskey grabbed a smoke and walked out side and was checking out my car,damn that ***** is sexy!

how about throwing the pi heads on with alittle port work and juicing it 150 shot?

I run a full PI crate motor from an 04 Explorer. They have stock comp of like 9.6:1. With the follwing mods and on stock street tires, I run 8.7x's and 13.5x's as long as I cut 2.04x 60ft's.

Engine Mods:

2004 Aluminum block PI swap
BBK Shorty headers
MAC ProChamber o/r
MAC Flowpath 3" catback
BBK CAI
Pro-Flo 87mm MAF for 19lb hr injectors
BBK 75mm TB
Ford racing aluminum driveshaft
Ford racing 3:73 gear
SCT Xcal2 mail order tune from Dynospeed Racing

So if you do a PI headswap, which on a NPI shortblock makes like 10.5:1 I think it is, and match my mods, you'll be running faster than me. ;)

J/Y is full of Ford PI motors, so the heads should be dirt cheap. :D

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
coats04 said:
guys it makes my stomach sick,i havent driven the car in 2 weeks im so sick.my best was 14.75@94mph.

i spun everytime i tried everyway to get out idle,2500,3,3500,4k,heat the tires real good,dont heat them,bark them just a little,slip the clutch out of the whole i mean everything.my times ranged from 15.2-14.7 most where around 14.8/9's.

i love the sn95's ive had 3 now.my 95 was a monster
the wifes 97 aode was ok but gutless
this 97 feels real good,strong even and doesnt miss a beat.killer shifts and all.the front jerks up hard when shifting into second,feels great.

i felt a big difference in pull on the big end with the pi intake but the pi cams i put in didnt show me crap.

i wish i could get this thing to move ,just seems any mods you do just arnet worth it because i dont see any good hp numbers coming out of these motors unless they're boosted,witch i cant afford... makes me sick :puke:

because of our lack of displacement. we really have no choice BUT to use some type of power adder.

gt96stang

Reaction score
SilverSol said:
coats04 said:
guys it makes my stomach sick,i havent driven the car in 2 weeks im so sick.my best was 14.75@94mph.

i spun everytime i tried everyway to get out idle,2500,3,3500,4k,heat the tires real good,dont heat them,bark them just a little,slip the clutch out of the whole i mean everything.my times ranged from 15.2-14.7 most where around 14.8/9's.

i love the sn95's ive had 3 now.my 95 was a monster
the wifes 97 aode was ok but gutless
this 97 feels real good,strong even and doesnt miss a beat.killer shifts and all.the front jerks up hard when shifting into second,feels great.

i felt a big difference in pull on the big end with the pi intake but the pi cams i put in didnt show me crap.

i wish i could get this thing to move ,just seems any mods you do just arnet worth it because i dont see any good hp numbers coming out of these motors unless they're boosted,witch i cant afford... makes me sick :puke:

because of our lack of displacement. we really have no choice BUT to use some type of power adder.

Yup. If you went looking for big number NA, you got the wrong car.

Corbic

Reaction score
I've only had my car for about 3 months now, and I too kick my self in the ass every now and then.

Piss poor handling and ancient suspension...

215hp out of a V8 that drinks gas at 18-20mpg... ugly interior..mushy steering, odd seating position..

But then again, for less then two and half grand, what the hell else can you get? A gutless 110hp Civic? A busted Caviliar?

Sure if I saved a few more pennies and shopped around I could score an LT1 F-body for 3k, but... yeah.. even worse interior, horrid visibility, wedge shape styling.. and reliability that makes the Mustang look like a '90 Corrola.

The Mustang is cheaper than the F-body and more practical, it has better visability, better seating and only uses regular gas. It made compromises to appeal to a wider range of buyers, and that is why the Mustang is still in production and GM is going to be once again late to the game with the reintroduction of the Camaro..

1996 Mustang GT stock is basically 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 in 15

1996 Camaro was around 0-60 in 5.7 and 1/4 in 14.1

(per C&D)

1996 Turbo DSM (Talon/Eclipse) do 6.4 to 60 and 15 in the 1/4

There is not a whole lot out there in that time frame that was "blistering" fast, in fact, that WAS fast.

As for power-adders, I think the only real disadvantage the Mustang has over other cars (S13s, Hondas, DSMs) is you can't slap on a turbo for $1,000, swap in a engine with dramatic results for $2,600, or crank up the boost for $800 and see huge gains.

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
everyone always says these are the slowest mustang V8's ever produced.....

If you look at all the V8 mustangs before these I am pretty sure most of them are slower. Obviously there are exceptions like the Boss 429 and what not but I believe these fall into more of a cobra category. A stock newer fox (90+) vs a stock sn95 would be about even. The old 64.5-68 mustangs weren't faster. The ugly 70's mustangs were boats. I think they are viewed as the bastard children because mustangs started getting faster very soon after ours were produced. (i.e. 260hp followed by 300hp, not to mention the 4v's 305,320,390, 500)

voidfinger

Reaction score
Corbic said:
I've only had my car for about 3 months now, and I too kick my self in the ass every now and then.

Piss poor handling and ancient suspension...

215hp out of a V8 that drinks gas at 18-20mpg... ugly interior..mushy steering, odd seating position..

But then again, for less then two and half grand, what the hell else can you get? A gutless 110hp Civic? A busted Caviliar?

Sure if I saved a few more pennies and shopped around I could score an LT1 F-body for 3k, but... yeah.. even worse interior, horrid visibility, wedge shape styling.. and reliability that makes the Mustang look like a '90 Corrola.

The Mustang is cheaper than the F-body and more practical, it has better visability, better seating and only uses regular gas. It made compromises to appeal to a wider range of buyers, and that is why the Mustang is still in production and GM is going to be once again late to the game with the reintroduction of the Camaro..

1996 Mustang GT stock is basically 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 in 15

1996 Camaro was around 0-60 in 5.7 and 1/4 in 14.1

(per C&D)

1996 Turbo DSM (Talon/Eclipse) do 6.4 to 60 and 15 in the 1/4

There is not a whole lot out there in that time frame that was "blistering" fast, in fact, that WAS fast.

As for power-adders, I think the only real disadvantage the Mustang has over other cars (S13s, Hondas, DSMs) is you can't slap on a turbo for $1,000, swap in a engine with dramatic results for $2,600, or crank up the boost for $800 and see huge gains.

well first off, the 96-98 handled great... almost comprable to the camero...

Now the sn95 interior is one of the best american interiors out there... unless you want to talk about bmw and lexus or some other luxery cars.

??? i get 24/27 mpg... in my 225 hp 98 gt... vert auto...

Also, whats wrong with the seating in the mustang? a lot better than most the other cars out there.

Looks to me like you wanted a bmw or something... :dunno:

Goldmember

Reaction score
A '96 Mustang GT 5-speed can crack off a 0-60 in six flat? The absolute fastest I've EVER seen for a stock '96 GT is 6.7 0-60 and ~15.2 in the quarter. (A well-tuned Mark VIII can keep right up) The PI 99+ cars will do 6 flat or better to 60 and ~14.1-14.5 in the quarter (depending on magazine, for example, Motor Trend won't get a quicker time out of it than say Muscle Mustangs).

As for the interior gripes, I must disagree- maybe the plastics aren't that great but the SN95/New Edge design is the best of any Mustang before and since. Everything is easy to reach- no complaints from a functionality/practicality standpoint. Far, far better than the F-Bodies. I don't think there was any such thing as a truly good GM interior back in the 90s... the Bonneville SSE I had was utterly awful, to name an example. Wasn't impressed with my dad's '94 Eldorado either. Recognized the turn stalk in that $40K+ barge from my '85 Cutlass... same exact part! Don't get me started on the fact that GM had to toss that awful hump in the passenger-side floor just to clear the catalytic converter.

I get ~17 MPG not bad considering my round trip to/from work is 9 miles, features numerous traffic lights, and is not long enough for the car to truly warm up in colder weather. (I take it out for a longer ride 1x/week to get it good and hot). I shift between 2500 and 3000 RPM for the most part. Ride is tolerable- better than the Fox cars- even though I'm in dire need of new struts lol...

"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

coats04

Reaction score
fuck it i swapped it for my freinds clean foxbody gt yoday.my next sn95 will be a 94/95 forsure.ill have another. >:D

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
if he takes your old car, tunes it and gets it right.. and then kicks your ass in it, that'll be a hell of a story and a laugh :hammer:

96GT

Reaction score
coats04 said:
f**k it i swapped it for my freinds clean foxbody gt yoday.my next sn95 will be a 94/95 forsure.ill have another. >:D

The 94-95's the best of both worlds.

gt96stang

Reaction score
96GT said:
coats04 said:
f**k it i swapped it for my freinds clean foxbody gt yoday.my next sn95 will be a 94/95 forsure.ill have another. >:D

except for the taillights :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

96GT

Reaction score
Get Money said:
96GT said:
coats04 said:

except for the taillights :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Thats in the eye of the beholder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell